Redsnapper 3-way or ball head???

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
i have made up my mind on getting the redsnapper tripod, but its the head im so unsure about

should i get the special offer tripod and the 3-way head for £64.90

or should i buy the tripod as a seperate for £49.95 and redsnappers ball head for £49.95

so

tripod and 3-way head - £64.90

or

tripod and ball head - £99.90

or any other ideas for about the same price, maybe £130 at the top end

Well I have the tripod and 3 way head and its immense :D

The 3 way head is really well built and movent is smooth and easy to lock off.

i dont know what head to get i take a mixture of landscapes and portriats,

with my current tripod which is about 15yrs old the head creaps and i cant set it in the right position all of the time due to it and its driving me nuts

what are the benifits of a ball head? better than the 3way?

From what I can gather. Ball heads are better if you are doing sport shots etc where you need quicker control over movement in all directions where as 3way are better if you want to make smaller tweaks in the direction.

The way I see it for more precise set up a 3 way is the best
for Quick moves ball head is the best.

Someone else will no doubt know properly but thats the way I understand it

Sorry to butt in here, i'm considering a redsnapper 3 way to mount my macro focus rails onto - can anyone verify if it would be suitable for this or should I consider another head?

I've gone from 3-way (for many years) to the Redsnapper ball head and legs. I wish I'd done it ages ago. I love the action of the ball head, I was worried that with a big heavy camera body with grip and lens would be like positioning an elephant balanced on one leg, but you can really fine tune the friction to let you reposition to a fraction with ease. I'm totally sold (y)

I've used panning heads for years on video cameras and really think that a ball head is the way forward for stills.

It is just so quick to unlock one screw and move the camera quickly about (even taking it off-level). As long as your careful and hold the camera when you loosen the ballhead it is a quick and natural way to adjust your settings.

sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but anyone got any pics of the tripod and 3-way head in action and how it's folded up and size etc.?

(something more in budget in the future)

thanks

I've got a Manfrotto ball head (to go with my Redsnapper legs) and find the control uch easier to use than the 3 way heads I've used previously.

I don't know if the Redsnapper head has got this, but the head I've got has a panoramic feature so that the panning axis can be changed independently to the rest.

(FWIW the reason I got the Manfrotto head is that my Dad also has one and and it means we can swap easily)

I got the Tripod and 3way head on the offer for Xmas, and I've used it with my 600mm scope at 1200mm (with a 2xTC) and I have to say it's very smooth and easy to move and handles the weight with ease, I've not used it yet with just the camera.

Back