Redsnapper - Any Good?

Name
Craig Denton
Edit My Images
Yes
Was looking at the manfrotto 190xprob, but for half the price there is the redsnapper tri-283.

Anyone got one, whats it like, i will be putting a 804rc2 manfrotto 4 way head on it which i already have.

I bought one the other day and am very impressed with it for the money.
Try searching you will find loads of comments about them.

Go for it!

i was also going to get the 190XPRO & 804RC2

but after reading reviews, i went for the redsnapper, and very pleased with it.

Well made and is very sturdy holding my 40D.

I would without hesitation, recommend anything from Red Snapper. Everything I have seen from this company has been of the highest quality.

I just have to ask - is this the same as the Benro stuff? The reason I ask is because the Redsnapper ball head looks exactly like my Benro KS-0. Exactly; right down to the Arca Swiss compatibility.

This isn't to knock it - my Benro ball head is fantastically well made, and engineered to perfection. Benro are sometimes seen as a 'clone' company, and so don't get the good press they deserve. It would make sense that they offered their items as high-end OEM and rebrands.

The rumour goes that Benro were used by Gitzo as a manufacturing plant for their stuff. The deal went sour, and Benro kept the machining/plans of Gitzo, then went on to sell them as their own. Effectively, the Benro head is a Gitzo head - just never rebranded for that company. Gitzo sells top quality stuff, and my Benro head certainly fits that bill - the size of a coke can, and far heavier!

Anybody?

When we are on this subject, would my Manfrotto 486RC2 head fit on the Rednsapper tripod? I have emailed redsnapper and they seem to think they will. However, I wanted to put my 486 head on a set of old Velbon legs from a video tripod and it wouldn't fit. I had to track down a bolt with a weird thread and fit it to the Velbon legs. I am totally confused here and owuld love this cleared up before I buy a Redsnapper (they look good for the price). So, what is the size of the Manfrotto fitting?

I would without hesitation, recommend anything from Red Snapper. Everything I have seen from this company has been of the highest quality.

:agree: I just recieved a ball head from them and It's superb and It arrived very quickly (y)

When we are on this subject, would my Manfrotto 486RC2 head fit on the Rednsapper tripod? I have emailed redsnapper and they seem to think they will. However, I wanted to put my 486 head on a set of old Velbon legs from a video tripod and it wouldn't fit. I had to track down a bolt with a weird thread and fit it to the Velbon legs. I am totally confused here and owuld love this cleared up before I buy a Redsnapper (they look good for the price). So, what is the size of the Manfrotto fitting?

if i remember correctly its 3/8" UN. so it will fit fine, i plan to use my manfrotto head on the redsnapper.

the thread in the bottom of the camera is 1/4" UN

I have both the tripod and ball head, and they are wonderful examples of quality machinery. Now, I am not a total nerd, but the ball head even smells like it was machined, rather than churned out of some massive factory...!

I have both the tripod and ball head, and they are wonderful examples of quality machinery. Now, I am not a total nerd, but the ball head even smells like it was machined, rather than churned out of some massive factory...!

Oh man, I'll have that image of you sniffing your tripod stuck in my head all day now.:LOL:

Tripods are great VFM and WILL hold up to 10 kgs.........(y)

I just have to ask - is this the same as the Benro stuff? The reason I ask is because the Redsnapper ball head looks exactly like my Benro KS-0. Exactly; right down to the Arca Swiss compatibility.

This isn't to knock it - my Benro ball head is fantastically well made, and engineered to perfection. Benro are sometimes seen as a 'clone' company, and so don't get the good press they deserve. It would make sense that they offered their items as high-end OEM and rebrands.

The rumour goes that Benro were used by Gitzo as a manufacturing plant for their stuff. The deal went sour, and Benro kept the machining/plans of Gitzo, then went on to sell them as their own. Effectively, the Benro head is a Gitzo head - just never rebranded for that company. Gitzo sells top quality stuff, and my Benro head certainly fits that bill - the size of a coke can, and far heavier!

Anybody?

Quite possibly, Joe at RedSnapper imports he doesn't manufacture so they could well be the same thing (or a very good chinese copy).

Benro are, in the UK, a company sorely in need of a sales outlet - their product is excellent, competitively priced, and - if the rumour is true - Gitzo high-$$$ stuff prior to the logo stickers. I remember meeting them at Focus On Imaging, and thinking if I didn't already have a decent career, acting as their UK distributor would be a good opportunity.

If Redsnapper do import and rebadge, then fair play to them - they sell a fundamentally decent product, which will sell through word of mouth on its own merits.

Oh man, I'll have that image of you sniffing your tripod stuck in my head all day now.:LOL:

Excuse me - I do not sniff my tripod or its head all day - just when alone late at night...
Hey, you all must know that smell of an engineering workshop - oil, swarf and honest toil - its that sort of smell.. Buy one, open the bag it comes in and tell the world I am not a total wierdo..
Maybe I had better back down and lie low for a day or two...

I too have nothing but praise for their products and service. I have the large rucksack, ball head and tripod. I also have a carbon monopod which Joe I believe is thinking about supplying (I happened to call him when looking for one and he had a sample which he sold me). The equipment is very good quality, and very sturdy (no problems with a large/heavy lens).

If you order over the phone, the kit normally arrives next day or the day after.

He also offers a 10% discount if you mention this forum when ordering... :)

Excuse me - I do not sniff my tripod or its head all day - just when alone late at night...
Hey, you all must know that smell of an engineering workshop - oil, swarf and honest toil - its that sort of smell.. Buy one, open the bag it comes in and tell the world I am not a total wierdo..
Maybe I had better back down and lie low for a day or two...

Damn, you know it's one of those things that you think but (usually) daren't tell any one?

I'm from a machining and manufacturing background and can wholeheartedly say that opening the redsnapper bag took me back years!

Yep it's like a gun oil and cutting lubicant aroma. (y)

I'm with ya Steve.

S

Well thank you SteveJB !
It does just that - takes you back to an age of skilled men in oily overalls doing a 'real' job.
One of my other interests is listening to music, and my turntable is a superb piece of engineering and machining - you can feel and smell the quality..!

It is all to rare to find something that just feels like it was made to do the job, and from what I have seen, RedSnapper products do just that.

Back