Reed Warbler (I think!)

Name
Callum
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure on the type but think its a Reed warbler.

Spend about an hour in the baking sun trying to get a good shot without all the reeds in the way, finally got this which I was happy with. Also got really bad sunburn on 1 arm and 1 side of my face (did not notice till I got home)

This is the uncropped image taken with 600mm + 1.4 extender.

cheers

Mitch

Looks like one to my un-trained eye...but a rarity out in the open and my what a big face he's got.
Great capture and with most of the right side cropped off and the bit of reed seed head at the bottom taken out it would be an even better one from the perfection point of view...even though it looses the feeling of him in the open.

Keith (y)

I think it's a Sedge Warbler but could be wrong, and agree with Keith ust cropped in a bit more will give more view of the bird.

Just at an awkward angle for identification, but I'd say Reed Warbler - the Sedge Warbler has a quite pronounced white stripe over the eye.

Just at an awkward angle for identification, but I'd say Reed Warbler - the Sedge Warbler has a quite pronounced white stripe over the eye.

Yes you're probably right, it was the slender head which lead me to think otherwise, but on zooming in a bit you're right about the lack of a stripe above the eye

I'm only so sure it's not a Sedgey cos I got my first one the other day. ;)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Here is a cropped version.

It now very red and getting sore!!!

Here is a crop of the bird.

That's better! Bugger! The general shape and colour is wrong for a Reed Warbler. My final offer is Marsh Warbler.

possibly. :D

CT - that's perhaps more on the mark - the longer thinner head profile very like sedge but no line, so Marsh Warbler seems a good bet.

They all look so similar, so many of them to choose from.

LOL. There's lotsa Warblers innit? :D

Thanks guys, so Marsh Warbler is the final choice. Must remember sun cream in future :)

Back