Reef Island (Bahrain) @ Night

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

Finally got round to trying out my Nikon D800, Here is one of my images of looking across the bay at one of Bahrains man-made islands "Reef-island" at night, shot using a 50mm lens. Looking for some critique whether good or bad.
This was created from stitching 3 images together and cropping to give a panoramic type image.

I think it could maybe do with a touch more cropping on the sides- what do you guys think? This would however start to come away from the panoramic type image i was looking for. Out of curiousity, is there like any propotions/ratios (like say 2:1) that are generally accepted as panoramic ?

Some people may point out about the blueness, this was a choice that i made during PP, as i thought this looked best and added to the cooler type nightime feel (lol it was anything but cool :( verrrry hot & humid)

Thanks for looking

BahrainReef_IslandWM_zps5f617391.jpg

Forgot to mention the settings used for the image, Doh :p
ISO 100, f/16 & 30sec exposure

I really like the concept, but the tilt to the left bothers me and it looks a bit soft.

(y) Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I thought i had already straightened the image before uploading, shall upload the straightened image a bit later.

To my untrained eye it looked fairly sharp, what steps would you recomend to get a sharper image? I am quite new to photography, and guidance would be appreciated.
I'm trying to understand the different aspects and how they affect my image to help me better my technique and maintain consistency.

Equipment used:
Nikon D800 body with Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens, well supported in a secure tripod
No filters used

Technique:
I used a 10 sec exposure delay to let the camera settle before taking the image. Manual mode with the following Settings used ISO 100, f/16 and 30 sec exposure
Shot at full resolution in Raw + fine JPG.
I shot 3 images and stitched together

The only other thing i could think of is to use the mirror up function. I didnt use this function as iv not got a shutter release cable (or remote etc) for my D800 yet :( (Only got the camemera a few days before coming to Bahrain) and i could not find an option to use Mup mode and set a delay timer :thinking: (Back to the manual i guess to learn more about my camera)

Now it was pretty hot and humid, would this maybe cause a slight haze in the image with a 30 sec exposure???

Thanks again (y)

Hi there

I just looked at it on Photobucket and it looks fine! I think on here it loses a bit of sharpness somehow. Very jealous of the location and your equipment!

Cheers.

Needs straightening then it's a cracking shot!!
Thanks, i have straightened out the image. How does this one look?

BahrainReef_Island_straightened_zps88bf3e7c.jpg

Hi there

I just looked at it on Photobucket and it looks fine! I think on here it loses a bit of sharpness somehow. Very jealous of the location and your equipment!

Cheers.

Hmm, not sure how that is, :thinking:

Thanks, I am actually working out in Bahrain, i'm planing now to get out maybe a few nights a week and try find something to photograph.
As i said, im quite new to photography and have found a few interesting things but couldn't quite find a good angle due to obsticles or the images didnt quite come out how i would have liked. Will probably go back to these locations several times to try again and see if i can improve on these images.

After work today i will have a look over the images iv got so far and see what i dont like about them and think about a way to improve them.
So maybe post a few photos tonight for advice :D

Really nice shot, id be very pleased if it was mine.

Really nice shot, id be very pleased if it was mine.

Hey,

Out of curiousity, is there like any propotions/ratios (like say 2:1) that are generally accepted as panoramic ?

Going back to my original post i asked about proportions for panoramics. Does anyone know about the proportions or what are the common panoramic print sizes offered.

Back