Critique Reflection

Anyone any thoughts?

Apologies if this isn't the sort of thoughts you were hoping for but I'm struggling to see what it is to be honest.

I like the idea of red brickwork and the light is an attractive colour but it's one of those photos I find myself staring at for several minutes before attempting to tilt my head horizontally to either side and/or upside down to figure out what I'm looking at...
In my mind the focus point of the picture is the long vertical "illuminated pipe" (?) in the upper third, but that seems to be out of focus with the in-focus point being the short "chimney pot" (?) in the centre of the lower third which only adds to my confusion of what I'm actually looking at lol.
After another few moments of staring, I've now noticed what looks like snow or bubbles around the right edge which along with the title indicates it's maybe a puddle or a pool etc and whatever is in the centre is possibly what's above but I'm still not 100%.
Lastly, I'm not sure why but I feel a very strong urge to get it into photoshop and check if it's straight in the vertical. maybe it's not mean't to be straight, I just don't know, but whatever it is, I get the feeling it should be straight and my wonky eye is telling me that it isn't.

No doubt once I figure out what I'm looking at everything will click, it will look just right and I'll spend a good 27 seconds saying "oh yeah!"
but until then, I'm not in love with it, sorry.

Hi Andrew

No I dont mind your critique at all pleased to receive it, yes its the right way up its a reflection in a puddle and the bubbles is light hitting the grit on the floor, it looks reasonably straight to me, think the OOF you refer to is because its a reflection and there were water droplets dripping into the puddle and people stood in the water causing movement, I didnt do any sharpening maybe I should have thanks for taking the time to make a detailed reply its much appreciated to hear others views and see my shots (y)

Once I got my mind the "right way up"
I could see where you were going with this Dave (y)

But I think that a little processing wouldn't go amiss either,TBH

Interesting image (y)

I looked at this earlier Dave and wanted to come back to it later with a fresh pair of eyes.
If I'm completely honest I just didn't get it at first viewing. Couldn't quite make out what it was and it all just looked a bit soft and slightly blurry :confused:

I have to say though, after looking at it again and reading the explanation it's now finally clicked in my brain and I really do like it A LOT !!!
I can now see the gravel around the edges, make out that it's a puddle and completely understand the softness and blurriness of the image.
And now I can see it as a puddle it's also made me view it completely differently and appreciate it as a whole image rather than trying to pick out a focal point or zoom in on individual components in the reflection.
Colours are beautiful, location (as I said in one of the other threads from the reservoir) is intriguing and I love the way that the darker bit of the foreground reflection sort of blends into the gravel area (although that also kind of adds to the confusion in working out what's what in it)

Definitely one of those images that grows on you but it takes quite a bit of work on the part of the viewer before that 'Eureka! moment' when it all clicks into place.
Perhaps something wider with more of the gravel surround in shot would make it more obvious and an 'easier' photo . . . but I don't know whether that would necessarily be a good thing.
There's definitely something satisfying to be had when it does all click into place and now that I 'get it' I wouldn't change anything about it, but on the other hand I can see a lot of people also passing over it without putting that investment in.

Once I got my mind the "right way up"
I could see where you were going with this Dave (y)

But I think that a little processing wouldn't go amiss either,TBH

Interesting image (y)

Yes Chris I was referring to the first one I Post which was flipped which confused folks LOL

I looked at this earlier Dave and wanted to come back to it later with a fresh pair of eyes.
If I'm completely honest I just didn't get it at first viewing. Couldn't quite make out what it was and it all just looked a bit soft and slightly blurry :confused:

I have to say though, after looking at it again and reading the explanation it's now finally clicked in my brain and I really do like it A LOT !!!
I can now see the gravel around the edges, make out that it's a puddle and completely understand the softness and blurriness of the image.
And now I can see it as a puddle it's also made me view it completely differently and appreciate it as a whole image rather than trying to pick out a focal point or zoom in on individual components in the reflection.
Colours are beautiful, location (as I said in one of the other threads from the reservoir) is intriguing and I love the way that the darker bit of the foreground reflection sort of blends into the gravel area (although that also kind of adds to the confusion in working out what's what in it)

Definitely one of those images that grows on you but it takes quite a bit of work on the part of the viewer before that 'Eureka! moment' when it all clicks into place.
Perhaps something wider with more of the gravel surround in shot would make it more obvious and an 'easier' photo . . . but I don't know whether that would necessarily be a good thing.
There's definitely something satisfying to be had when it does all click into place and now that I 'get it' I wouldn't change anything about it, but on the other hand I can see a lot of people also passing over it without putting that investment in.

It was meant to make you think about the shot Sarah, suppose a lot would dismiss it straight away, thinking its OOF, but if you look, you begin to see, I went right in on purpose to cut out most of the surroundings, to give an air of mysteriousness about it, especially in the flipped shot, http://tinyurl.com/no6k77d . heres a wider view

IMG_2370 Victorian Clayton Reservoir Back Lane Clayton-le-Woods Chorley Lancashire
by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

It's great mate :)
Thanks Christian (y)

Last edited:
Yes Chris I was referring to the first one I Post which was flipped which confused folks LOL

It was meant to make you think about the shot Sarah, suppose a lot would dismiss it straight away, thinking its OOF, but if you look, you begin to see, I went right in on purpose to cut out most of the surroundings, to give an air of mysteriousness about it, especially in the flipped shot, http://tinyurl.com/no6k77d . heres a wider view

IMG_2370 Victorian Clayton Reservoir Back Lane Clayton-le-Woods Chorley Lancashire
by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

(y) Right choice for me.
Personally, it was the stopping and trying to work it out that appealed to me about the image and I definitely prefer it to the wider one.

Back