"Refraction"

Name
Rocky
Edit My Images
No
i'm hoping this fits into the "close-up" category, even if i was 6 feet away when i took it! :eek: this is kinda my "signature photo", i've never seen anything anywhere else even remotely like it (which is why i registered the copyright with the US Library of Congress... ;) ). it's a soap bubble perched on a stalk of wild grass. i was at the park near my home, and there was a young girl with her beau walking about 20 yards in front of me. she was blowing bubbles, leaving a trail of iridescent spheres behind her. most drifted off or burst quickly, but this one landed on the grass and didn't pop immediately, so i thought to myself, i wonder if i could get a good picture of that? i had my "bird lens" - a Sigma EX80-400 at that time - on my 30D, so i couldn't get closer than about 6 feet. i hurried to where the bubble was, crouched down, composed the shot to minimize background clutter, and got off three shots before the bubble burst. when i got home and looked at the image on my monitor, i was amazed at what i saw... :D shot handheld at 350mm, 1/250, f/5.6...

Refractionsm.jpg

Superb image. Thanks for the background to it's capture. Definately 'right place, right time'.

Excellent shot, beatifully sharp. You realise now that every forum member will be buying soap bubble kits for there kids.:eek::eek: Shots of granma with a bubble on her head, oh yes.:D

Lovely shot but can I ask why is the background black as it looks like a bright day, was flash used? Looking into the reflection of the bubble there doesn't seem anything to make the background that colour? Damn I'm confused.:shrug: but have a (y) for a interesting image. ;)

This works for me on a number of levels - the dark background really highlights the grass and reflection, I love the backlit grass, the reflection/refraction couldn't be better but the clincher is the 'ring of light' and the fact that it is at the same angle as the grass.

Absolutely stunning and one of the best photographs I've seen on here in a long time, and when you consider the quality of images on here that is saying something!

Superb. :clap:

Lovely shot but can I ask why is the background black as it looks like a bright day, was flash used? Looking into the reflection of the bubble there doesn't seem anything to make the background that colour? Damn I'm confused.:shrug: but have a (y) for a interesting image. ;)

no, no flash was used. the background is a dark blur because i was shooting at f/5.6 (wide open for that lens) and i was much closer to the bubble than the bubble was to the background, so the DOF of the lens gave me a nice bokeh. if you look closely, the BG in the photo isn't black, but very dark green; the background itself was a mass of blackberry bushes, which have very dark green leaves, and i was looking at the shady side of the bushes. i did bump the contrast and adjust the gamma a little to darken it some, to help highlight the bubble.

Absolutely stunning and one of the best photographs I've seen on here in a long time, and when you consider the quality of images on here that is saying something!
thank you, one and all. from what i've seen, there are some pretty good photographers here (one reason i joined, to learn from others who've more experience than i), so i take that as high praise.

However you did it, it works for me (y)

I've tried similar, bubbles in bubbles, smoke bubbles in bubbles, bubbles in a wine glass etc but I cant get my mixture right and the burst before I get chance to set the shot up :(

This is truly a great picture :)

What a fabulous shot!!:clap::clap: I agree that that is one of the most unusual and stunning shots I have seen - well done you!(y)

that is very good, wish I'd seen tht

Back