Remote Flash Problem for Portraits

Name
Chris Harrold
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone, my first post! :wave:

I tried getting the flash (SB-800) off the camera at the weekend to take pics of the kids using some directional light.

Problem was that this function uses the built-in flash to trigger the external flash by firing just before taking the picture. Every single picture had closed eyes! In the end I had to put the flash back on the camera and bounce it.

The obvious answer would be to buy a cable or a wireless remote (which I have no problem doing if this is the only solution), but then why do Nikon add this remote feature if it only works on inanimate subjects? Is it just a gimmick?

Any other ideas? I thought about putting something in front of the built-in flash but then it doesn't fire the remote flash.

Thanks.

I believe you can turn the on board flash right down for wireless commander mode so that it still triggers the off camera flash but yet doesn't produce any light. I'm assuming both camera and flash are set to commander mode?

Another tip is to get the subject to open their eyes just before taking the picture, that way the chances of them blinking is reduced (y)

The people are blinking at the preflashes which fire fractionally before the shutter opens and are used to set the metering, unfortunately this is almost perfect timing for people's blink reflex to kick in therefore their eyes are shut when the flash is fired for the exposure.

Forunately there is a function on most Nikon Cameras that allows you to press a button (usually the function button on the front camera) that fires the pre-flashes and remembers the exposure so that when you press the shutter all it does it take the picture (no preflashes at that point).

HTH

(y) Thanks Guys, some great suggestions. I'll put them into action and see how I go.

if you use the flashes in manual mode, so you're just using the camera to trigger them, not doing any premetering, do you still get the issue?

Also, will this be an issue for me as a canon owner using a 580EX on camera to trigger 430EXs off camera? Was thinking of getting a couple of 430EXs to use the 580EX master capability, but it'll be of my family so no point if my kids will have their eyes closed.

I guess there are three options

1) ETTL/TTL - will fire a preflash for metering, so risk closed eyes.
2) manual flash - don't know? Will the trigger command still be using visible light, or the big red focus assist bit on the front?
3) buy some radio triggers and manual mode - first flash should be the 'real' flash.

Ideally I'd want to use (2) for simplicity, and for the fact that reliable radio triggers are expensive (yes I consider the skyports expensive, and I still need adapters for hotshoe triggering so messy too).

Back