Remote issues using D50

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - I have the tiny ML-L3 remote & set my camera up on the tripod to practice using the remote - however I couldn't get it to work :bang:
It's probably me but could someone explain how to use it just to fire the shutter when required (as opposed to using it to fire the self timer)
I noticed in the manual it tells you to cover the viewfinder with the supplied eye-piece cap - is that necessary or just a sensible precaution?
TIA ... Paul (y)

Eyepiece cover is not necessary unless for very long night exposures.

To use the remote you press the self timer button and it will cycle through different icons on the top screen, i think you have it set to self timed remote, if you push the button again you get a pic of just the remote without the self timer function, it will then take pics as you press button (after autofocusing if on and required)

Should just plug in, switch camera on and press button. The cap thing is to stop light reflecting through the eye piece, I don't use it but that's not to say it shouldn't be used.

It will only work from the front and limited distance ... or so I believe ... and after doing as PPP suggests ... :p

Silly question I know ... but you have removed the little slip protecting battery terminals ... :thinking:

HTH and you sort it ... (y)

Thanks everyone! Solid advice there which should help me - I will try again ASAP & let you know how it goes ...
Venomator - I didn't notice anything covering the battery terminals
ppp - Re the autofocusing - if I was happy with the focus on my subject should I turn AF "Off" before shooting?
TIA (again) ... Paul (y)

PaulBoy said:
H
I noticed in the manual it tells you to cover the viewfinder with the supplied eye-piece cap - is that necessary or just a sensible precaution?
TIA ... Paul (y)

It's necessary if your eye isn't at the viewefinder eyepiece Paul, if you're shooting in any Auto mode or Aperture or Shutter Priority. In these modes, light entering the viewfinder will influence the meter reading and because of the auto nature of these modes, will actually alter the aperture or shutter speed resulting in a wrong exposure. Cameras like the 1D have built-in eyepiece blinds which are more convenient. Fiddling about with those silly little covers is a real pain. You can actually stick your hat or something similar over the camera to achieve the same end.

When you're shooting in Manual mode, there's no need to cover the eyepiece. The meter will still be influenced by light entering the viewfinder - you can see the indicated exposure changing as you slowly move your eye away, but the exposure wont actually change as in Manual mode you've set absolute values for aperture and shutter speed. :)

PaulBoy said:
Venomator - I didn't notice anything covering the battery terminals

Okey dokey Paul ... just that when I got mine there was a little plastic slip just sticking out of the battery cover ... it's used to separate the battery from the terminal until first used ... ;)

Worth checking the compartment if you didn't notice it when you got it as it may have gotten hid inside ... :shrug:

:p

CT said:
It's necessary if your eye isn't at the viewefinder eyepiece Paul, if you're shooting in any Auto mode or Aperture or Shutter Priority. In these modes, light entering the viewfinder will influence the meter reading and because of the auto nature of these modes, will actually alter the aperture or shutter speed resulting in a wrong exposure. Cameras like the 1D have built-in eyepiece blinds which are more convenient. Fiddling about with those silly little covers is a real pain. You can actually stick your hat or something similar over the camera to achieve the same end.

When you're shooting in Manual mode, there's no need to cover the eyepiece. The meter will still be influenced by light entering the viewfinder - you can see the indicated exposure changing as you slowly move your eye away, but the exposure wont actually change as in Manual mode you've set absolute values for aperture and shutter speed. :)

Cheers CT - now that you've explained it that makes a lot of sense (y) - Paul

yeah mate you can use it with or without the AF no problem, i think if you want it for macro or to stop it constantly refocussing, then set the focus and switch AF off or set it manually anyway.

Back