removing windows vista

Name
Ruth
Edit My Images
Yes
ok so not photography related but has anyone removed vista from a new home pc and installed XP?

If so can u let me know how it is done

i'm still running xp, but would it not just be a case of formatting your drive and installing xp? I wouldn't have thought you would be able to install xp over the top of vista (although i could be wrong).

i'm still running xp, but would it not just be a case of formatting your drive and installing xp? I wouldn't have thought you would be able to install xp over the top of vista (although i could be wrong).

Am tring to help out a friend and thats what i thought although looking on google it doesnt seam that easy - will suggest he trys it first though.
Thanks

If anyone knows better then please let me know

what version of vista is it?
and what version of XP do you want to roll back to?

When you install XP from scratch, by starting the PC & booting off the XP disk - it will format the hard drive as part of the installation [bye, bye Vista].
The only problems MAY be finding the drivers for your various cards [Graphics, sound, modem, network etc] - though these should be available with a little searching on the net.
Another thing to remember is MOST PC's sold today cannot run Vista in anything but its basic mode - all the bells & whistles [3D Desktop etc] just won't work.
If you decide to go down this route - I'd suggest getting XP Pro. It costs a little more but won't need registering before use..
Hope this helps.
John

Can't you go into the BIOS and low level format the drive? Then install XP!

Carl.

thanks guys its for my bosses sons computer vista isnt compatable with his games and stuff (hes 8yrs old) so boss whats to put xp on

Read yesterday in Computer shopper that microsoft are offering a downgrade from vista to xp but not for all versions. Just got the Mrs a new laptop with vista premium installed and I hate it, dont think the downgrade applies to premium yet :(

Word of warning:

If you want to go back to XP from Vista, it's likely to be very possible, but if your machine uses a SATA Hard Drive (you can tell by opening the machine up and looking at the colour and size of the hard drive connector - if it's small and red then it's Sata) then you will have to make sure that the Windows XP installer can recognise it. Because SATA wasn't around when XP was first concieved, there is a section of the install where you have to install SCSI or similar drivers, before it will recognise your hard drive. Some motherboards use IDE Legacy emulation (meaning you don't need drivers) but many dont, in which case you will be left needing a SATA driver from your motherboard supplier.

Just a word of warning as this can take some time to sort...

Have they tried running the games in XP emulation mode on Vista, before jumping ship?

Cheers,
James

Well, you probably won't have to format the target partition if you don't want to.

Yes you would.

Once any files have been backed up simply boot from a Windows XP cd, delete the existing partition, recreate and format as NTFS when prompted

another option for them, (which i use myself) is a 'dual boot' option, i have 4 seperate hard drives (though you only need 2), and have vista as my main operating system and XP on the other drive for 'as and when i need it' (compatibility issues for example). That way, you get the best of both worlds, though i mainly use Vista now. It'll cost maybe £30/£40 for a new hard drive but it's extra storage too :)

another option for them, (which i use myself) is a 'dual boot' option, i have 4 seperate hard drives (though you only need 2), and have vista as my main operating system and XP on the other drive for 'as and when i need it' (compatibility issues for example). That way, you get the best of both worlds, though i mainly use Vista now. It'll cost maybe £30/£40 for a new hard drive but it's extra storage too :)

You and me both (y)

er not sure hes that techincally minded lets not confuse him

but thanks x

Back