Replaced Mac HD and now its slow :( Any chance mr Cowasaki Sir??

smooth

Threebrows
Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all!
Just finished upgrading my macbook drive to a 500gb 5200rpm drive. I used disk utility to copy data and make a straight swap for the old hardrive.

Got a problem now that for about a second it hangs before processing anything - it is most noticeable in itunes where I could usually switch from one track to another without any noticeable gap. Now I get the 'spinning rainbow' for about 3 seconds on average. It only happens the first time you switch to that track - making me think it is permissions or indexing related.

It also happens when accessing the HD to get at programs etc - one or two of the thumbnails load straight away, then a gap, then all finish.

Have run disk repair - its spotted lotso permissions that needed sorting - it said it was complete but hasnt helped. I ran it both during an osx session and from the disk in boot.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance. And Darren if you spot this I owe you even more beer (y)

Cheers James, DL now.

Hows sunny stevenage today? GF starts work there in a few weeks :)

....well it's sunny!

Actually, it's pretty nice today - was driving back from deepest, darkest Essex and felt good to be coming home ;)

Where's she going to be working?

Cheers,
James

Community Schools Families Dept for HCC.
Should be good :) Trouble is we just had an offer accepted on a flat in hodd!
Thanks for the program linky!

Are all the permissions ok now?

Create a new user and try using that user, does this have the same problem?

Try this first and let me know what happens....

Cheers Darren. I must owe you a beer mountain by now.
Permissions wont repair - they just keep coming up in the list when you verify or repair. I dont get any error messages and it says it completes but it only takes a few minutes?!

Thank yooou!
Will try that tomoz as I left the original mac HD there.
Just adding the songs into itunes for my test account.
Got a feeling I needed to do something so the OS could index files when I first copied the drives.
Most strange because I did it once and that all worked hunky dory for a week (until i wanted a larger one) and now I have put that in and copied the drive in exact same way it has gawne tits up and lags. There was a few itunes mentions in the permissions repair too.
:shrug:

ALl finished doing gapless playback etc but still has the same weird lag.
Could it be a dodgy HD? Seems to be clicking and making noises more than usual?!

Argh!

I tend to use the disc utility method for copying drives but on occasion it does go a bit wierd and I have reverted to CCC there are other disc copiers but this one is donation ware which I like (the same as I use for script writer!).

There is a possibility the drive is wonky but it is not likely and disc utility would most likely tell you anyway.

Try using the new account and then tomorrow try CCC. If that does not work try installing leopard on the new drive and then restoring your data from the other drive.

Cheers again dude. Will give them all a try. Miffed cos I dont want to have to open it all up again.
I just dont know why the disk permission wont complete properly :(

You don't need to open it up again. Stick the old drive in an external case and then fire up the mac in target mode then plug the mac and external drive into another mac and run CCC it will see the mac and ext drive as two external drives and copy one to the other.

If you haven't got an external case I would buy one anyway so that you can use the old drive as a backup.

Cheers Darren (y)
Think I am going to copy data accross then do a fresh install. Will be a paid but I have not done it in the 3 years of owning it and could do with a clean.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Matt

Just to stop you wasting any more time, have you done a google for the model of drive you have with 'install issues' or similar?

There are drives that ship with firmware issues - I believe Seagate had a big problem a while ago.

If it makes anything more than the usual noises, I'd be eyeing it up with suspicion!

Cheers,
James

Cheers James again.
Good idea - ran it through googly and no problems sping up.

Strange one.
GOnna also try an archive and install. See if that cracks it.

Its a weird problem.

Thanks again guys.

when you say the drive is clicking, is it making a loud ish TICK noise before it spins up? is it a new drive?

Yes it is. Its a brand new drive.
Could just be me being more sensitive to it than usual :)

Cor dear.
Made me wet myself then :LOL: just had a read up. Dont think it is (fingers crossed) in this case as it doesnt do it when first spinning up or reaccessing data.
Think I was just being paranoid hopefully.

Just doing an A&I install now to see how that goes...

Thanks for all your helps peeps!
I am all sorted now - reinstalled leopard OS using an archive and install, then imported all my itunes etc back from external HD.

All hunky dory now. Thanks again - you guys n gals are all ace (y)

Matt

There is a reported issue with aftermarket sata drives at the moment. Apple released an update which is causing quite a few people problems.

I must have seen it reported on the register, but I'#m sure there wiull be comments on the mac sites.

Back