Resizing In Lightroom

lukewoodford

FYI, I am Luke Woodford.....by Luke Woodford
Name
Luke Woodford
Edit My Images
No
I suppose this is the sort of thing a printing college course would have been good for.:thinking:

I know how to resize to keep the aspect ratio but how do you resize to other ratios. e.g. is there a way you can type in 5"x7" and it will come up with a crop box which you can just move over the image freely and select the area you want?

Also is it common the get photo frames in the 3"x2" ratio these days?

Thanks in advance!

I've got Lightroom 2 so the answer may be different for the previous version.

When you select the crop/straighten tool you see options below it. The word 'Original' has little arrows next to it. Click those to pick an aspect ratio or enter a new one of your own.

I normally stick to 3:2 but will crop to other ratios if it suits the shot better or the client requests it.

If you're print is 3:2 then the frame won't be if you're including a mount. Check the prices page on my website where it shows common print sizes plus the matching mount and frame size.

Most frames have a "Border" area. For example a 5x7 frame may in fact be 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 picture area. So you need to take this into account when producing the image for final printing. Don't add a white border as this "border" area does vary from frame to frame, Just allow for it and don't crop to near to the edge when you are composing the print.

If people don't know what they want then it's up to you to advise them. The best way is the old Show and Tell technique. Show the what a 8 x 10 print in a frame looks like. You know what size an 8 x 10 is but the average customer doesn't. Also don't start with the smallest. cos that's what they'll buy.

Back