Resizing/sharpening

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
I have read read mention of it being better to sharpen after resizing, are we talking about the resize prior to posting on the forum ?.

Yep, if you resize an image it best to sharpen after the resize

You learn something every day on here:)

Thanks, bookmarked.(y)

I never do it that way and no ones ever mentioned anything :thinking:

I do everything fully, save and then resize in fireworks for the web...perhaps its just the way it copes well with it all ...dunno.?
Well, now you mention it ... this one from your gallery doesn't look as sharp as it could/should. (Gorgeous light, but not too sharp.) Neither does this one or this one, and I guess if I'd looked at more I'd be saying the same thing.

Thanks for taking the time to ponder Stewart, I can see what you've noticed they do seem slightly soft I guess, especially the eye in the goose I noticed. hmmmm I'm sure you could find more, but most would meet the requirements I' thinking so theirs not much in it... it might be a quality thing within my gallery I' thinking.

These two
on a TP thread are processed the same way, do they look ok?

I'll go read that link now and decide what to do about it. :) (y)

wow i didnt know about this! thanks

and me.....I never knew that!!

(y)

Yep! Me three :D

Now, what is meant by :eek:versharpening"? I think I have read that somewhere, but what does it actually mean? How does it affect the final pic?

Yep! Me three :D

Now, what is meant by :eek:versharpening"? I think I have read that somewhere, but what does it actually mean? How does it affect the final pic?

There are several kinds of sharpening. A handy but over-complete reference is Bruce Fraser's book Image Sharpening with Photoshop.

When you edge-sharpen a photo, what you do essentially is that you make the row of dark pixels at the junction between light and dark areas (the edges) extra dark and the row of light pixels even lighter. This emphasizes the edges and 'sharpens.'

When you resize the image smaller, you often lose these darkened/lightened rows so the edges become un-emphasized.

Thus resize and resharpen.

'Oversharpening' means that the edges are so emphasized that the lightened row of pixels become visible as haloes around edges. The over-darkened row is less conspicuous but is there.

Lew

There are several kinds of sharpening. A handy but over-complete reference is Bruce Fraser's book Image Sharpening with Photoshop.

When you edge-sharpen a photo, what you do essentially is that you make the row of dark pixels at the junction between light and dark areas (the edges) extra dark and the row of light pixels even lighter. This emphasizes the edges and 'sharpens.'

When you resize the image smaller, you often lose these darkened/lightened rows so the edges become un-emphasized.

Thus resize and resharpen.

'Oversharpening' means that the edges are so emphasized that the lightened row of pixels become visible as haloes around edges. The over-darkened row is less conspicuous but is there.

Lew

Thank you Lew! :)

No problems.

I am a little tentative about posting here since English is not my native tongue; I'm from the USA.

So, I'm from Italy therefore English is not my "native" tongue either. But here we Talk Photography, and that is an international language! ;)

Back