*Resolved* Help Needed Please - Extend Dell laptop screen to TV

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Being in self-isolation, outside contact with friends & family is via video-conferencing on iPad.
However as things progress the iPad is becoming restrictive and I would like to move to my Dell XPS L502X laptop, which is running Win 10 Home, latest build.
The laptop has a rear HDMI port and I can connect to an HDMI input on the TV, however I cannot seem to get the TV to display the duplicate of the laptop monitor. I go to Mobility Options and select the option to Extend BUT ...

Whilst on my Dell laptop screen I see:-

IMG_0459.jpg

When I choose Extend I just get this on the TV ...

IMG_0460.jpg

Which is my Desktop Wallpaper, minus all of the Desktop Icons ... when I do anything on the laptop, e.g. run a piece of software or browse, the display remains exactly as above, nothing is extended.

When I choose the Duplicate option all I get on the TV is a black screen.

I would love to get this working if I could but I have no idea where to go from here ... any technical help appreciated :)

If you go into display settings - there should be a layout option (I'm not on a multidisplay PC just now) that shows a pair of boxes with 1 & 2 in them.

The laptop screen will be "1" - the TV "2" - which ever side of the screen "2" is, drag the content you want that way like you do any window, you can just do it "off the end of the world"

If you go into display settings - there should be a layout option (I'm not on a multidisplay PC just now) that shows a pair of boxes with 1 & 2 in them.

The laptop screen will be "1" - the TV "2" - which ever side of the screen "2" is, drag the content you want that way like you do any window, you can just do it "off the end of the world"

Thanks, I don't get the pair of boxes, I just get a drop-down box ... no option to drag anything in any of the Display Options. :(

If you look at the dell keyboard you should see a function key marked Fn (possibly in blue). Then look at the F keys at the top of the keyboard and there should be a key with a small pic of a laptop and a tv screen, it might be on the F8 key in blue.
Press the Fn key and then the F8 key and your screen should show on the tv.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-connect-and-set-multiple-monitors-windows-10 any help - otherwise, I'm wondering if Win 10 Home doesn't handle it the same as other variants..
If you look at the dell keyboard you should see a function key marked Fn (possibly in blue). Then look at the F keys at the top of the keyboard and there should be a key with a small pic of a laptop and a tv screen, it might be on the F8 key in blue.
Press the Fn key and then the F8 key and your screen should show on the tv.

Thank you both, break for tea and I'll give it another go. :)

If you want to see on the TV exactly the same as on the laptop screen then really you should be be selecting ‘Duplicate desktop’

Extend desktop doesn’t duplicate the laptop display, it’s usually used to allow something like PowerPoint to be displayed on another screen but controlled from the laptop.

Some software like a presentation package I use, and the Freeview player may be one, that doesn’t show anything on the second screen until you start presenting/playing something, until then you get the bare desktop you’re seeing.

Not all software has the ability to ‘project’ to the extended screen though

Last edited:
If you want to see on the TV exactly the same as on the laptop screen then really you should be be selecting ‘Duplicate desktop’
Thank you for replying ... when I do this the TV just displays a black screen.
Some software like a presentation package I use, and the Freeview player may be one, that doesn’t show anything on the second screen until you start presenting/playing something, until then you get the bare desktop you’re seeing.

Not all software has the ability to ‘project’ to the extended screen though
I'm using the Zoom video conferencing software, but when I run it, nothing is displayed on the TV, except for the Desktop wallpaper.

'Extend' effectively give you two screens next to each other. So. as originally suggested, drag your application onto the extended screen. Just click on its title bar, hold the button down and slide the mouse/finger on the pad to the right (probably) until you get the application where you want it.

If you want the application on both screens then use 'Duplicate' and apply admirable's suggestion.

Last edited:
Maybe it's a Dell thing but I can't drag anything anywhere in Display Settings.

I've got 2 monitors side by side. They're shown in the display settings as monitor 1 and 2. 1 is to the right of 2. If you click the 'Identify' button, it will show its ID number on the each display. (I couldn't get a screen shot of that.) If you don't see both displays (computer monitor and TV) here, then Windows isn't seeing the TV.

Assuming both displays show up, then moving from one screen to the other just involves dragging one application window to another location. In the second shot, I've dragged the TP window in Chrome from monitor 1 on the right half way over to monitor 2 on the left.

You need to drag in the direction indicated in the display settings. If I drag a window on monitor 1 to the right, nothing will happen. That display configuration can be changed in the settings window, but we're getting ahead of ourselves here. First just try dragging windows in all 4 directions (up, down, left, right) until you get it displaying on the screen you want.

display_settings.jpg

Drag.jpg

Last edited:
I've got 2 monitors side by side. They're shown in the display settings as monitor 1 and 2. 1 is to the right of 2. If you click the 'Identify' button, it will show its ID number on the each display. (I couldn't get a screen shot of that.) If you don't see both displays (computer monitor and TV) here, then Windows isn't seeing the TV.

Assuming both displays show up, then moving from one screen to the other just involves dragging one application window to another location. In the second shot, I've dragged the TP window in Chrome from monitor 1 on the right half way over to monitor 2 on the left.

You need to drag in the direction indicated in the display settings. If I drag a window on monitor 1 to the right, nothing will happen. That display configuration can be changed in the settings window, but we're getting ahead of ourselves here. First just try dragging windows in all 4 directions (up, down, left, right) until you get it displaying on the screen you want.

View attachment 272745

View attachment 272747

Thank you very much. :)

I have managed to get the display boxes 1 & 2 and when I drag 1 into 2 it moves to the side and pressing 'Apply' momentarily gives this screen on the TV...

IMG_0462.JPG

However, after about 5 secs the TV screen reverts to...

IMG_0460.JPG

Can't get it to Extend and stay there! :thinking:

Actually, looking at your pictures again, I think it's working. The icons on your desktop only show up on your 'Main Display'. I'd say leave your main display as your computer screen.

You should be able to drag application windows (browser windows, a Zoom window, Photoshop window, etc.) from one display to the other just as you would move them around on a single display.

1584981806540.png

When you scroll down on the Display Settings page, what does your 'Multiple displays' setting look like. Here's mine:
View attachment 272761
I get that and chose to Extend.

Actually, looking at your pictures again, I think it's working. The icons on your desktop only show up on your 'Main Display'. I'd say leave your main display as your computer screen.

You should be able to drag application windows (browser windows, a Zoom window, Photoshop window, etc.) from one display to the other just as you would move them around on a single display.

View attachment 272764
I may have missed the aspect of dragging across my laptop screen so I'll give that another go tomorrow.

Thanks all for the hlp given :)

Maybe it's a Dell thing but I can't drag anything anywhere in Display Settings.
It's not a Dell thing, it's a you thing. We're all talking about dragging on the desktop, not settings, which you may now have realised.

It's not a Dell thing, it's a you thing. We're all talking about dragging on the desktop, not settings, which you may now have realised.
Yes I hadn't got my head around that concept, now that I have I am pleased to say that I have got it working.
Thanks to all who helped me get there. :)

Back