Restricted Locations?

Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone,

I recently learned that there is a restriction on photography at the Eiffel Tower. Whilst one is free to take photographs during the day, photographing the Eiffel Tower at night while it is illuminated may only be done with the permission of the owners!

http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/en/the-ei...rand/image-rights-the-eiffel-tower-brand.html

This came as quite a surprise to me, as the Eiffel Tower seems like it is quite a bit more interesting when lit up at night!

I understand that people can ignore this restriction and snap away and potentially get away with it, but for those who get caught... who knows what the consequences are.

I also have been made aware that there are some restrictions on photography in Trafalgar Square in London (http://www.flickr.com/groups/londinium/discuss/72157629237132925/) and that "Heritage Wardens" may approach you and ask why you are taking photographs. (In the articles that I have read, they have been a bit forceful and demanding)

Basically, what I am here to find out is if there are any other landmarks or locations (in the UK or otherwise!) that have restricitons upon photography.
Any obvious places that a tourist would want to take photographs, but shouldn't, or places where permission must be obtained first.

Any information that you have would be very much appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance

If its in a public place in the UK

You can photograph it, nobody can tell you to stop, not even the police.

There is no restriction on taking photographs of the Eiffel tower at night despite what its owners might suggest.

I know of no law which depends upon the position of the sun relative to the planet.

What they suggest is that taking a photograph of the tower at night is an infringement of the copyright of the lighting which might restrict some uses of the image. I think they are wrong as I don't think the lighting on a building is an artistic work. More likely that it would be considered integral to the building, therefore a photograph is not a copy of it.

The tower is in plain view from a public place. Whatever colour light they choose to shine on it is up to them. Try a Google image search for 'eiffel tower night'.

Steve.

Last edited:

Not entirely true, I work where you cannot take photos, not even from the public road. You will get your camera taken off you.

Then I'm going to assume it's a prison or MOD facility.

If so, you might get a visit from the police to explain yourself, but without an arrest or a court order, your camera will not be taken from you (not legally anyway).

Steve.

This covers just about everything you need to know: http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/uk-photographers-rights-v2/
That seems to skip over the Official Secrets Act which is what was used to prohibit the taking of photographs before anti-terrorism legislation came in. It can still be used to 'protect' certain sensitive installations and, yes, your camera can be taken from you.

I suspect I know of the place Gr8Shot is talking of - and he's quite right.

We're veering off at a tangent here anyway as the OP is more interested in restrictions on more photogenic landmarks and locations and the short answer is that for all intents and purposes, there are none.

Steve.

We're veering off at a tangent here anyway as the OP is more interested in restrictions on more photogenic landmarks and locations and the short answer is that for all intents and purposes, there are none.

Steve.

You might be chancing your arm getting a shot of Balmoral from the road.

As for the Eiffel tower, what makes you think photographing from a public place means the same in France as it does most places here?

Last edited:
As for the Eiffel tower, what makes you think photographing from a public place means the same in France as it does most places here?

Because I have read the rules. France places a lot more restrictions on the usage of an image than we have here but the taking in public is just about the same.

There are more restrictions in France on the use of a person's likeness but in public you can still photograph anything or anyone. A lot of French people however think that you are not allowed to photograph people in public. The same way a lot of people here think you are not allowed to photograph children. They are wrong in both cases.

This is a description of part of the law regarding a person's privacy:

I. Article 9 of the Civil Code and the formulation of the right to privacy in general

2. By taking, recording or transmitting, without his or her consent, the picture of a person who is in a private place.
In both cases, therefore, the offence requires the absence of the person’s consent, and such consent is presumed where the recording or the taking of the picture takes place in a meeting and openly and publicly. The purpose of article 226-1 is to curb the behavior of the paparazzi.
By virtue of article 226-1.2, privacy is not protected where the violation is committed in a public place. According to the definition developed by the courts, a private place is deemed to be a place which is not open to anyone without the permission of the person who occupies it in a permanent or temporary manner. Conversely, a place is classified as public if it is accessible to everyone, without specific permission from any person whatsoever, whether access to it is permanent and unconditional or subject to certain conditions.

You might be chancing your arm getting a shot of Balmoral from the road.

It still has to be dealt with under Scottish law - I'm not trying it though!!!

Steve.

Last edited:

Im fairly sure at Faslane you will have a lot of attention very soon. I know you are not aloud to loiter on the roads surrounding it. So you would to be moving to take photos. If your on MOD properly then any photographs are crown copyright or so i was told at a security brief a few weeks ago.

Back