Results from my first proper assignment! (gig photos)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

So back in September I was lucky enough to get my first ever booking to do a photo-shoot with the Plain White Ts (the 'Hey There Delilah' guys).

The resulting photos are being used for the promo artwork of their new single 'Hate (I don't like you)', complete with credit. How proud am I?!

Anyway, I also got to take some pics at their show that evening, in Manchester, so I thought I'd post a few. They're a little soft from being re-sized and I don't have PS at work to give them a sharpen. But any comments would be gratefully received, as I'm learning all the time!

2065865070_1fe073bf67.jpg

2065066615_1db965ae32.jpg

2065066517_7abbaf590e.jpg

Thanks for looking

BM

Great shots really effective use of different lighting at the gig, or is that post processing?

I wish my photo-shop skills were capable of such things! Its all down to the lighting technician!

These had a slight sharpen, a tiny crop and a levels adjustment. Other than that they're untouched.

Thanks for the comment

BM

Gig photos are a lot harder then they look, anyone trying it knows this - one thing I found helpful was not to follow the normal instinct to take a photo when the action is right - but to take photos when the light is right. I have found this can make 4 or more stops difference to the exposure. The light man will set the lights to change with the music so if you have rhythm then you just follow the beat and the light is right.

The light man will also follow the changes in the music so you can take photos to follow this - when the guitarist is doing a solo (for example) he will be lit well - so that is when to take the photos of him/her

I always carry ear plugs in my bag now as sometimes the best position is right in front of the PA or the monitors….

Good photos though.

Yeah, I've got a few good ones of the guitarist, but I was trying to concentrate on the singer, as thats what a 'popular music weekly' wanted.

(They phoned me at the last minute, as the label told them I was with the band that day, and asked me to take some photos to go with a live review but they pulled the article for some reason, which was a bit of a shame.)

It was all good experience tho and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You're right about needing ear-plugs, they're going in my kit bag next time!

The main problem was that I was crouched down in the pit and the girls in the front row kept ruffling my hair! :LOL:

I wish the girls in the front row would ruffle my hair.

But I dont have any . . . . .

A nice set of pics, I'm jealous !!

Nice shots, lovely lighting well captured.
The old hair touching eh! seems to be a thing at gigs:LOL:
Dean:)

yea i agree about the lighting following the music. Hence why it always makes it 1000 times easier if you actualy know the band and enjoy their music... that whay you know whats comming up in their music..

Back