Reversing a macro lens ?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
What happens if you reverse fit a true macro lens ? .... Does it become an ultra-wide angle .... :thinking:

Mmmmm......:thinking: I've been reversing the 50mm on the 100mm......Are you thinking of reverse mounting a macro directly onto the camera body?......Come to think of it, what happens if I reverse mount the 100mm on the 50mm?!? :runaway:

What happens if you reverse fit a true macro lens ? .... Does it become an ultra-wide angle .... :thinking:

I've not tried it mate but I think it would be difficult, especially if the filter thread on the dedicated macro lens is a lot larger than 52mm, I think my Sigma 180mm is around 77mm?

I'm not the most knowledgeable but I think the larger the focal length, the more ineffective it is for reverse macro.

The common focal lengths are between 20mm and 90mm iirc :thinking:

I've waffled a little here if it's of any help.

Reverse a lens? I learn something new here everday.

Doing something like this: :D
rr04.jpg

got a gimmicky reverse mount on order, will post back on the results. although i do have fun just holding the lens backwards and take shots.

Mmmmm......:thinking: I've been reversing the 50mm on the 100mm......Are you thinking of reverse mounting a macro directly onto the camera body?......Come to think of it, what happens if I reverse mount the 100mm on the 50mm?!? :runaway:

I've not tried it mate but I think it would be difficult, especially if the filter thread on the dedicated macro lens is a lot larger than 52mm, I think my Sigma 180mm is around 77mm?

I'm not the most knowledgeable but I think the larger the focal length, the more ineffective it is for reverse macro.

The common focal lengths are between 20mm and 90mm iirc :thinking:

I've waffled a little here if it's of any help.

got a gimmicky reverse mount on order, will post back on the results. although i do have fun just holding the lens backwards and take shots.

Sorry guys :) A slightly tongue in cheek question :D It's not something I am actually planning on doing, I was just wondering what would actually happen if I did do it :thinking:

same here, not quite got my head around it. merely turning the lens around and holding it infront of cam (for me) they never focus, can't get them to focus on anything at any distance (100m down to touching front element :???:)

the focussing isnt too bad a problem, its the really shallow depth of field that makes it unmanagement. but it is fun! try it with a nifty fifty if you have one.

no idea steve, give it a go and lets have a look.
i have an reversing ring on order, to mount my nifty on my siggy :) wonder how that will go?
good fun experimenting though init?

no idea steve, give it a go and lets have a look.
i have an reversing ring on order, to mount my nifty on my siggy :) wonder how that will go?
good fun experimenting though init?

Thanks Dave (y)

Experimentation and breaking the rules to me is what photography is all about! and best of all it is as you say "great fun"......:D

Obviously the 100mm works great on its own. With the nifty reversed on the end of it, it's even better! :LOL:

I would imagine that, with the nifty attached to the body and the 100mm reversed on it, it would be different again due to the internals of the front lens.......:thinking:.......or would it be the same? :shrug:........or would it be 'super wide' as Steve suggested?!? :bang::bang::bang:

Reversing a lens by means of a reversing ring will let you get closer to the subject when using a non macro lens and often produce better results.
Also, because the lens is being coupled to the camera via it's filter thread means you are not confined to any specific make of lens.

Used to use the technique in my film days - maybe have a go again.

i never tried it with film, would have certainly wasted lots of rolls!

its a very cheap and effective way of experimenting with macro. adding some extention tubes gets you ridiculously close as well!

ive found the results always nice and sharp with my nikon 50 f.8 reversed. depth of field is a problem though, but it can be quite cool and creative. next time i get to play with a macro ill certainly try reversing it, just to see what happens!

Back