Beginner reversing ring help

Edit My Images
Yes
i was given a reversing ring today from a customer to try out
ive managed to mount the lens using it but the veiwfinder is very dark, im guessing the aperture is closed down, there is light but very small amount.

how do i open the aperture using the reversing ring? or is it not possible

the lens is a af-s nikkor 18-55 1:3.5-5.6g

cheers alll

It's a 'G' lens and therefore not the best lens for this setup.

Do you have any non G lenses?

BTW There's a tab on the lens mount that opens the aperture- it is normally at the f16 or whatever the minimum aperture value is. All you have to do is move the tab (it's the only moveable tab on the back) to the open position and keep it there- maybe a bit of thick card cut to the right size. This will put it in the f4 position.
There may be some wonderful invention that does this, but I don't know about one.
Different size card would let you choose a different aperture and then it's a case of trial and error for figuring out the correct exposure.

Personally, I'd go for a manual lens with an aperture ring.

Last edited:
thanks kendo

still thinking i may get a macro lens, missus has said i can and she very rarely gives me permission lol.
the only other lenses i have is a sigma 70-300 and a nikon 50mm 1.8

It might be worth asking for help in the 'macro' section.

Extension tubes are another alternative. These come in manual - which won't help unless your lens has an aperture ring - and automatic versions. The latter have contacts to couple the lens to the camera, so the metering and diaphragm will work. As far as I know, they also permit auto-focus, but that's not all that useful in macro work.

Last edited:
Back