Review Review: FStop Loka Backpack

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
So, I was looking for a replacement for my Slingshot 300 which while a very nice bag was starting to effect me with it being so heavy on one strap it was giving me a sore back after a period of time.

Did a bit of research and came across the FStop Loka (Official URL - http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/loka). I couldn't find many reviews or info on it but the reviews I did find rated it very highly.. which is good because it isn't all that cheap.

It seemed to fit all of my requirements, the large camera insert would take the 120-300 and most of the rest of my essential kit, so I took the plunge. One thing that did annoy me was the lack of UK stockists, so it was ordered from the FStop website in the US. Now, be wary of this as FStop wont charge you VAT and you will need to pay this before UK Customs will release the package.

All in the bag with large insert (incidentally different sizes don't cost extra, 1 is included as standard and 2 size insert price option is available) and USPS shipping to the UK for $287USD (price correct at time of my order). I mentioned VAT before, ParcelForce who processed the UK stretch of the shipping wanted £20 to cover this (inc £8 handling fee).

2 weeks later (how I wished I'd paid extra for UPS priority..) it arrived..

They arrive well packaged in nice little baggies (handy to store your socks in I find :D).

FStop Loka by neilgates, on Flickr

The 2 portions to the bag, the main backpack (which incidentally can be used without the camera insert as a regular bag) and the camera insert, in my case the Large.

Default layout, has looooads of seperators and velcro straps etc.

Although at the above point I was starting to wonder if I had done the right thing and whether the 120-300 would fit, it was deceptively small. However the first trial fit...

Now this bag has a TONNE of straps on the exterior, some either side and some on the front (or should that be the back?!). Perfect for a tripod etc.

cont..

So at this point I had the camera insert loaded with 99% its final contents and the tripod strapped to the side so I popped on and had a feel.. Man this is a really comfy pack even loaded up.. the shoulder straps are nicely padded and the waist strap really helps spread some of the load and the chest strap tie the shoulder straps together nicely.

(No pics of it on my back at this point, I might take some later for reference if it helps..)

The thick waist straps and access to the camera insert.. now the only downside to this bag is the access is a little fiddly but if you're not wanting quick access to your camera (I tend to get it out before setting off) then it shouldn't worry you.

And so, the final camera insert layout (for now lol)..

Listed from top left to bottom right:
* Spare lens back and body caps (in space above body)
* Memory cards
* Canon 1Dmk3 w/ Sigma 1.4x and 120-300 f2.8 attached
* Rocket blower and remote release
* Sigma 50mm f1.4
* Sigma 70-200mm f2.8
* Canon 580mk2 and poverty remote receivers
* Remote TTL cord and remote transmitter
* Empty space (for now)
External:
* Manfrotto 190XPROB w/ 322RC2 head or Manfrotto 681 Mono w/ 486RC2

And I haven't even touched the 2 top compartments, front compartment or the little pockets on the waist strap. So yes, lots and lots of space.

Bit of a "my findings so far review".. More to come once I figure/find stuff out :D

Last edited:
Excellent review Neil, thanks, the siggy 120-300 is darned heavy, add a tripod, bodies etc, it must be some weight !!!!!!

Whenever I need to carry my 120-300 F2.8 , it's placed in a (large) shoulder bag, plonked on an Angler's trolley, and pulled along :)

next time ive got it loaded i'll try and remember to pop it on the scales, but to be honest the loka distributes the weight VERY well. i forgot to mention in my original post but the loka has a metal framework stopping it from deforming under load.

but the loka has a metal framework stopping it from deforming under load.

I think I'd need a metal framework to stop me deforming under load :)

Neil, is that the Foliage Green colour?

Can I ask if the colour is as the photo shows, it looks good for wildlife outdoor stuff. One of the problems with most other bags is the colour or lack of a green.

Hi Neil, thanks for the reply. No problem with the daylight shot, but if you ever take an image with the pack on your back, I'd like to see that.

I'm just looking for a good backpack with a decent green colour, this one seems to fit the bill.

Last edited:
excellent review. Very very tempting. really like the idea of being able to put some extra bits and bobs in your bag as well.. ummm im going to order an "insert" and see how it fits my range of rucksacks, not sure if i can justify the full amount, unless i sell a few rucksacks! :)

I wasn't expecting to see one of these reviewed on here!

I've got one of their other bags and am looking for something that's more suited to day trips on the hill or camera + avi gear for snowboarding, or camera + a few other things as hand luggage, so I'll probably be ordering one this month or next.

These pictures help a lot as I wasn't 100% sure on if I should go medium or large ICU, (I'm certainly going to go for the small)but my biggest lens is 70-200 f2.8 and yours looks quite small in there! Infact you have a lot more gear than I'd ever carry and stacks of spare space, so medium it will be! Thanks.

I've heard that FStop have got a EU warehouse coming on stream soon, so hopefully I won't have to wait 2 weeks for mine!

Last edited:
no problems glad it helped (y)

the loka has to be without doubt the most comfortable camera backpack ive owned. i love the fact theyll sell you a bag with 2 ICUs for not much more cost too..

good news about an EU warehouse, not sure how much faster the USPS priority shipping would have been but 2 weeks was a pain in the arse :LOL:

I seem to remember my other bag came really quickly, but that was when they'd just started and before they'd moved offices.

Do you think that a canon 40D and sigma 120-400 would fit in the large insert?
The lens is 203.5 mm long, and how much space is left over in the bag with the large insert?

Superb review, and handy as I might have to start thinking about purchasing something similar soon. Food for thought. Thank you.

thanks for a great review - i am also going to be buying an f stop bag seems to be the perfect bag not cheap however, from your comments etc. it appears the price is reflected in the quality of the product.

i contacted f stop last week and they mentioned about an eu warehouse coming on stream within the next few months and stated that the price would be cheaper for products.

update for everyone f-stop will be shipping from their new belgium warehouse from next month.

Are the products going to be online only still, or are they shipping to uk distributors?

you buy directly from f-stop and they ship from their new eu warehouse

Next month? Sweet. Now they just need to roll out their Friends With Benefits programme as I'll be needing a Satori for one trip...

Any more news on the eu warehouse opening yet, just had a look on the f-stop website but the buy direct web page is down?

Dont forget if parcel force pay for your import duty, you dont have to pay them back for it :D

This is taken from another forum im a member on, hope it might help ;)

There is a get around, if you wanna be cheeky you can get out of paying all charges, inc the customs fee's.

But it is quite naughty.

This was taken from the http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=213532.

I found this and found it quite interesting indeed, as we know, large purchases from Rexspeed incur a charge by Pacelforce....well....I may have found a way around it....read on...

Firstly the package was labelled correctly as its legal to import for person use and customs didn't put up an argument they simply held the package for a couple of days and then slapped the duty and VAT charges £23 something.

As the package was imported using the thai national postal service it gets handed over the Parcel force which is now a privately owned division of the royal mail.

Parcel force pay the customs charge on your behalf then slap £13.50 on for the privilege of doing so.

When my mate went to collect his pack from the depo they refused to hand it over unless he paid the charge including £13.5. and storage on top of that.

My mate then quoted that it was illegal to complete a service (paying customs) and charge the customer without offering them the chance to pay it themselves or having a prior agreement on the price.
Then he demanded that they hand the package over with an invoice as it was a criminal offence under the (criminal law act section 104 sub section 2d) to hold a postal package in "virtue of lien". This means holding a package for ransom of payment... This is just like saying....

"you cant have your package unless you pay us £13.50 cause we paid your customs bill,,,,, when you didn't even ask us to."

Also holding a package illegally as a non government owned postal service (Royal mail and Parcel force are privately owned now) is against the postal service act 83,84 and carries a sentence of up to 6 months.

He spoke to the manager who didn't give him the package and my mate then rang the police who after an hour or so of arguing with him told the boss he either released the package or they would arrest him.

He got the package. Parcel force paid the bill and as they didn't inform my mate they were going to pay the customs charge on his behalf they didn't have a leg to stand on so in the end he paid nothing.

Royal mail and Parcel force make millions every year doing this and its against the law so ****** them and next time you get a bill check to see if you legally have to pay it.

I'm telling you this now cause I just went to pick up my new set of golf clubs and they slapped a bill on for over £90. I walked in and stated the criminal law act 104 subsection 2d and the postal act 2000, 83,84 and they just gave me my clubs.

Sounds like they shouldn't be doing what there doing...

But if it saves you some money for a new lens, and its not as if parcel force cant afford it lol

Any more news on the eu warehouse opening yet, just had a look on the f-stop website but the buy direct web page is down?

I ordered from them this week as their stock tracker was stating that products would be in the EU warehouse from the 5th May, but the delivery confirmation says it will be shipped on Monday 25th April.

I decided against the Loka and went for the new Guru - I'll get a review up here when I've had a chance to use it a bit.

@Leviathan40

Cheers for that post. probs one of the most informative and usefull ive read in a long time

This is taken from another forum im a member on, hope it might help ;)

There is a get around, if you wanna be cheeky you can get out of paying all charges, inc the customs fee's.

But it is quite naughty.

This was taken from the http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=213532.

I found this and found it quite interesting indeed, as we know, large purchases from Rexspeed incur a charge by Pacelforce....well....I may have found a way around it....read on...

Firstly the package was labelled correctly as its legal to import for person use and customs didn't put up an argument they simply held the package for a couple of days and then slapped the duty and VAT charges £23 something.

As the package was imported using the thai national postal service it gets handed over the Parcel force which is now a privately owned division of the royal mail.

Parcel force pay the customs charge on your behalf then slap £13.50 on for the privilege of doing so.

When my mate went to collect his pack from the depo they refused to hand it over unless he paid the charge including £13.5. and storage on top of that.

My mate then quoted that it was illegal to complete a service (paying customs) and charge the customer without offering them the chance to pay it themselves or having a prior agreement on the price.
Then he demanded that they hand the package over with an invoice as it was a criminal offence under the (criminal law act section 104 sub section 2d) to hold a postal package in "virtue of lien". This means holding a package for ransom of payment... This is just like saying....

"you cant have your package unless you pay us £13.50 cause we paid your customs bill,,,,, when you didn't even ask us to."

Also holding a package illegally as a non government owned postal service (Royal mail and Parcel force are privately owned now) is against the postal service act 83,84 and carries a sentence of up to 6 months.

He spoke to the manager who didn't give him the package and my mate then rang the police who after an hour or so of arguing with him told the boss he either released the package or they would arrest him.

He got the package. Parcel force paid the bill and as they didn't inform my mate they were going to pay the customs charge on his behalf they didn't have a leg to stand on so in the end he paid nothing.

Royal mail and Parcel force make millions every year doing this and its against the law so ****** them and next time you get a bill check to see if you legally have to pay it.

I'm telling you this now cause I just went to pick up my new set of golf clubs and they slapped a bill on for over £90. I walked in and stated the criminal law act 104 subsection 2d and the postal act 2000, 83,84 and they just gave me my clubs.

Sounds like they shouldn't be doing what there doing...

Interesting post. will bookmark this just incase.

Anyway am i right in saying that the standard $5 delivery charge means it wil be delivered from the EU branch straight to me in the UK?

i dont have to pay anything extra? no custom charges or anything? i just ordered the Loka with medium ICU

I know this is an old post. But Im looking for a bag like this and with this review and pictures I think I am getting one of these Loka bags :D

Thanks

This reminds me that I actually have a redundant Sartori which I need to sell...

Back