Review [Review] Horusbennu CT-2540T Carbon Tripod

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I was looking for a carbon tripod that would be lightweight for carrying on hikes. I found the Horusbennu CT-2540T (no head just the legs) through ebay -> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270685543469&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The asking price was $166 on a Buy Now or Best Offer. I offered $145 which was accepted by the seller. Through paypal this converted to approx £93.

So ordered on New Years Day and was delivered on the 12th January. Not bad as it was shipped from Korea. No customs charges to pay either.

It was well packaged:-

IMG_9304-116 by BigSteve2006, on Flickr

and came in it's own branded box:-

IMG_9309-120 by BigSteve2006, on Flickr

On taking the tripod out of the box it was in it's own carry case with instructions and an allen key for adjusting the legs:-

IMG_9313-124 by BigSteve2006, on Flickr

The tripod itself is a traveller style tripod with the legs folded through 180 degress. Each leg has 4 sections, each section extended by quick release. These seem to be easy to operate and lock well. One set had some sharp bits on then from the molding - these should sand down/file off easily enough. Folded length is just short of 18 inches. Folded with the legs in the correct possition is just short of 21 inches.

IMG_9314-125 by BigSteve2006, on Flickr

The centre column is operated by a rotating collar and again seems to work well. Each leg can be put into 3 positions by moving a large locating pin. This is easy to operate so long a the leg is moved slightly back from the locked position:-

IMG_9317-128 by BigSteve2006, on Flickr

The centre column itself has an extending hook for attaching weight to steady the tripod during shooting. It can be also be broken into two sections to allow for low level shooting with legs splayed to their maximun:-

IMG_9319-130 by BigSteve2006, on Flickr

To be continued:-

The feet are rubberised and can be retracted to reveal metal spikes:-

IMG_9322-133 by BigSteve2006, on Flickr

The overall hight of the tripod without centre column being extended is 48.5 inches and with the centre colum extended it's 56.5 inches. With the legs in the most vertical postion the tripod seems reasonably steady. I can't compare it with anything else other than a Uniloq (Benbo copy) and it isn't anywhere near as stable, but then the Uniloq weight about 5kg and has very big legs. However for my needs (backpacking) it feels fine. With the legs splayed to the 45 degree position with the legs extended it does feel quite shakey. With the legs splayed out fully and not extended again it seems fairly stable.

IMG_9326-137 by BigSteve2006, on Flickr

Weight wise it comes on at 1.147kg:-

IMG_9328-139 by BigSteve2006, on Flickr

The carbon looks a decent wrap with only one small blemish, but I don't believe that it impacts the performace - it's actually a small bubble but looks like a flat spot in the photo's:-

IMG_9325-136 by BigSteve2006, on Flickr

Overall it looks a decent quality peice of kit which meets my needs. If you expect to use it on windy days then it probably isn't for you but if you are looking for a lighweight traveller type tripod it should be ok. Given the price paid (y):banana:(y)

Steve, I also purchased one of these for £105, it arrived within 3 days, great service and great tripod, I use mine all the time and would recommend them to anyone, money well spent!

I wonder if 3LeggedThing know about these, that is identical to the 3LT tripod I owned before moving to Gitzo

horresbennu were around before 3LT...

so...

come to your own conclusion!!!

If you didn't know already 3LT are just a rebrand... a clever one mind you, I have nothing against it - just that if you know any better you know where to get them for a whole lot less.

Back