Non UK Rhodes

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Heading off to Rhodes in a couple of weeks.
Staying in a villa near Pefkos & Lindos.
I've been to the island before, so I know about Lindos and Rhodes Town etc. but this time I will have a hire car so hoping to explore some more locations.
Anyone got any places that must be visited? Not only for photography, but things to do etc.

Cheers
Jake

Can't remember what the beach at the Southern tip is called but it was gorgeous back in 2000! The West coast was in the most part almost deserted - a bit more exposed if you want to swim and pebbly rather than sandy if you want to sunbathe. Petaloudes was spectacular but I think that may be more of an Autumn thing than June (Valley of the butterflies - Jersey moths in fact, millions of 'em!). Beautiful, cool and shady escape from the usual heat.

Can't remember what the beach at the Southern tip is called but it was gorgeous back in 2000! The West coast was in the most part almost deserted - a bit more exposed if you want to swim and pebbly rather than sandy if you want to sunbathe. Petaloudes was spectacular but I think that may be more of an Autumn thing than June (Valley of the butterflies - Jersey moths in fact, millions of 'em!). Beautiful, cool and shady escape from the usual heat.
Thanks Nod! Been looking online and the Valley of the Butterflies is on the list, along with the seven springs.
I'm interested in seeing the west coast, to get away from the tourism and I'm sure it's superb for sunsets!
I'll have a look at the beach on the Southern tip now.

Severn springs is good. The restaurant there sells great kebabs. Make sure you take a small torch and paddle through the tunnel.

At the southern end of the island the two seas meet, one is warm, one is cool and it's a weird experience putting a foot on either side.
Watching the sunset from one of the medieval castles of Atáviros, Kritinia and the 14th century Monólithos, all build on rocky outcrops.
St Pauls Bay - Lindos, is stunning and a great place to snorkel.

Say no thank you to any timeshare

There's a huge cross on the hill outside Rhodes that I can't remember the name of, but you can climb up it for a great view. I seem to remember a really good orange juice seller there.

Severn springs is good. The restaurant there sells great kebabs. Make sure you take a small torch and paddle through the tunnel.

At the southern end of the island the two seas meet, one is warm, one is cool and it's a weird experience putting a foot on either side.
Watching the sunset from one of the medieval castles of Atáviros, Kritinia and the 14th century Monólithos, all build on rocky outcrops.
St Pauls Bay - Lindos, is stunning and a great place to snorkel.

Say no thank you to any timeshare

There's a huge cross on the hill outside Rhodes that I can't remember the name of, but you can climb up it for a great view. I seem to remember a really good orange juice seller there.

Thanks Byker! All added to the list :)

Oh and we went to a brilliant archery course, you walked around and shot at life sized rubber animals hidden in the wild. Takes about 2-3 hours but was a great challenge. Can't remember exactly where but it's on the east side as you head towards lindos. The road climbs up a hill and takes quite a steep bend and it's there. It looks over the really long beach.

Oh and gyros. Available everywhere and dirt cheap. Think kebab in a flat bread with salad and raita and chips the wrapped.

The southern tip of the island is called Prassonisi if I remember correctly. There's a ruined castle on the west coast which is a great spot to watch the sun go down.

One village we found interesting, it was up in the mountains called Eleoussa, this village had empty buildings showing remnants of the Italian colonial days falling in to ruins. Apparently Mussolini had a winter retreat here; in the local taverna there were old photos from bygone days including Mussolini addressing a crowd opposite the church.

Prassonisi - I agree, is well worth a visit. It's the islands kite surfing hot spot. I spent ages last year photographing the acrobatics of these guys, sadly I only had my bridge camera with me which didn't do the action justice......I'll blame the camera ;)

Back