RIAT (Fairford) 2018

Name
GC
Edit My Images
Yes
I know it's still a week away but WX looking hot and dry thus far, might be worth adding that Camelback (other brands are available) to your Battle Rattle;)

GC

Tell me about it. I've got the worst case of sunburn from 2 days there, despite copious amounts of sunscreen. Worth it though - an absolutely fantastic event. Just a shame the B2 didn't stick around for a few more passes.

Some of us had 6 days in that relentless heat! It started throwing it down as soon as I got home and I just stood in the pouring rain for 10 minutes. It was so nice. Great show though, what was your highlight? Mine was the 617 flypast.

I've had to accept I may be going a bit thin on top after getting a sunburnt scalp for the first time :eek:

I loved every second of the 2 days I was there. First high point was getting there a bit late because of traffic and seeing the first fighter jet of the day as I walked from the car park. After weeks of anticipation, the sheer volume and speed was exhilerating, even though I'm not entirely sure what it was! Second was the Trenchard. My grandfather piloted a Lancaster on the Peenemunde raid and earnt a DFC for being one of the first Lanc pilots to make it home after being attacked by a schrage musik equipped night fighter. He passed away 5 years ago, but was definitely there with me during the BBMF display. The other one was seeing the F35B hover for the first time. I live not far from Marham, but hadn't seen one in the flesh until RIAT.

If anyone's remotely interested in aviation, but hasn't been to RIAT, definitely get there for next year's show. Should be another good one with it being the NATO 70th anniversary.

Last edited:
First time for me - I was hoping it wouldnt be as good as the hype and I could cross it off my list next year as its not cheap and a pain to get to ...

However, it was amazing!! Such an awesome flying display and everything is just spot on. Its a shame it clashes with Duxford Flying Legends as I am a huge fan of Warbirds.

I was at Duxford on Saturday and RIAT Sunday - I came home with 15k photos to sort through and a very very good tan!

First time for me - I was hoping it wouldnt be as good as the hype and I could cross it off my list next year as its not cheap and a pain to get to ...

However, it was amazing!! Such an awesome flying display and everything is just spot on. Its a shame it clashes with Duxford Flying Legends as I am a huge fan of Warbirds.

I was at Duxford on Saturday and RIAT Sunday - I came home with 15k photos to sort through and a very very good tan!

RIAT and Legends only clash on even numbered years due to Fairford moving to accommodate Farnborough, so next year they will be on concecutive weekends

Back