South-East England Richmond Park. parking for deer rut.

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I would like to visit Richmond Park in a few weeks for the deer rutting season. Are there any particular car parks that are better than others for this, I will be coming from the Portsmouth area. Also I have a small motor home and would be happy to stay close by for a few days, does anyone know of any campsites close by?
Any other advice would also be welcome.

Went last year on a Saturday, got there about 7:20 and the car parks were quite busy (I think I used the Roehampton Gate car park). There were also huge numbers of runners and cyclists flying around. However a short walk and you’re away from all except the dog walkers, the deer don’t seem to take much notice of the dogs. I’m sure people more local can give you more advice.

Its worth remembering that at weekends the road between Richmond gate and Roehampton gate is shut to vehicles. The road at Broomfield Hill and from Sheen Gate to Sheen Cross is permanently shut. Weekdays it is possible to circumnavigate the park though, but weekends you need to think about which gates to arrive in.

You'll find rutting deer all over the park, but the areas west of Queens Road and North of Sawyers Hill you'll find less, if any action. Its only 40 minutes walk from side to side of the park to find deer. Follow the roaring stags

Map of the park

If you're staying a few days its worth a trip to bushy Park too.

I regularly walk my dogs in both Richmond and Bushy parks. The stags are starting to roar and gather their hareems in both. Be flexible about your dates cause it may start sooner rather then later. Particularly if we get cold nights

ETA Sorry I missed the bit about your motorhome. The nearest campsite I know of is at Chertsey, by the M3/M25 junction. Which doesn't mean there isn't one closer but thats 30-45 minutes drive to the park. The area, because of its proximity to central London isn't well served by campsites

Last edited:
Always found the best car park was the one by Pen Ponds, always a lot of action nearby, plus if you are partial to a bacon roll they are great from the catering van there.

Thank you for your responses, they have been very helpful. I am very flexible with dates and can go at almost the drop of a hat - one of the benefits of old Age!!

@Fordsabroad i was in the park this morning. The rut has certainly started stags are roaring and chasing younger challengers off. Petrol allowing I would consider an early trip and maybe a second in a few weeks time. The stags are in their best condition now, they don’t eat while they rut

@Fordsabroad i was in the park this morning. The rut has certainly started stags are roaring and chasing younger challengers off. Petrol allowing I would consider an early trip and maybe a second in a few weeks time. The stags are in their best condition now, they don’t eat while they rut
Thank you very much. I will get my backside in gear and plan a couple of visits.

Spankers Hill Wood carpark is the best, get there early before sunrise and plenty of spaces around. There's a cafe for waiting for you when you done with your photography. Worth to keep an eye on the cooler temperature in the morning.
Have you got a post code for Spankers Hill Wood car park? It’s not on the parks website, so I assume as you say arrive before sunrise it’s outside the park?
Thanks for the advice

Have you got a post code for Spankers Hill Wood car park? It’s not on the parks website, so I assume as you say arrive before sunrise it’s outside the park?
Thanks for the advice
Spankers Hill Wood is opposite Pen Ponds so inside the Park....

Thanks, so only accessible after 7am then?

Next week is the last week the vehicle gates open at 7 am. From the 11th October they open at 7;30 am. Pedestrian gates are open 24 hours except during the deer cull (6 weeks from 1st November this year)

Last edited:
Providing the fuel situation improves I intend going up to Spankers hill wood on Sunday afternoon in the motorhome, staying at Chertsey camping site. Returning to Spankers hill for 7AM Monday and possibly Tuesday. If that works well I will do the same again later in the month. I figure the trip up on Sunday should be reasonably traffic free and will give me a chance to get my bearings at Richmond park. Hopefully 7AM on Monday/Tuesday will get decent light and less people than the weekend.

Back