Right Now What-----HELP!!

Hi, have you done the DSNA pointing thing ( i think thats what it's called ) there should be something about it in your 123 control panel. I am rubbish at all this stuff so please ignor if i've got the wrong end of the stick but i had a nightmare with mine, i think i had to phone them & some lovely lady sorted it out for me their end.

Web forwarding is fine, it simply points anyone who types in your domain name to the index page on your virgin webspace. You need to set up your website on your virgin space with a proper index page though.

I've changed the name severs to that of the hosting on Virgin. Was the right thing to do??

Yes, that was the correct thing to do :)

Just bear in mind, you may have to wait a couple of days for your website to be viewable under that domain name as it can take a while for the DNS to propagate.

Ok hopefully what I've done is all ok as I found this using a DNS finder

ns.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
ns2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Which I'm guessing the name severs I need to change them to? Correct?

So after this update then everything should be fine yea? No need to web forward?

Sorry for all the questions just very new to all this and just want to make sure it's working!!

Erm.. double check those nameservers. AFAIK, it shouldn't be blueyonder but Virgin.

Give a call or send an e-mail to the web hosting department of Virgin and they should be able to send you the correct nameservers to use.

there are two ways.. the web redirect which is a bit naff

OR

change the nameservers as you seem to have had a go at... BUT the host has to know your coming.. you cant just change nameservers and it works.. you need to get in touch with whoever is hosting your website and ask them to make changes at there end.. double check that you put the correct nameservers in with them..

theres no way you can make this work without something happening at the host side..

Believe me you dont need anyone else.. thats the answer.. you cant do it any other way apart from web redirect that isnt a great option :)

ps I ahve about 20 domains with 123 reg and no hosting with them....

As you tried redirect and then changed nameservers i presumed you didnt like redirect :)

Na as I wanted it to say the index.html, contact.html etc on the end

So the namesever way is to do this yea?
So getting in touch with Blueyonder is the way to get it all set up

How do you do it KIPAX?

I think your domain name will be hosted with 123 and you will need to contact them initially to release it.

A little warning, Virgin do not host business sites, private only.

yes nameservers is the way then.. it will have your full domain name and whatever file.. just like a real website:)

if you do a whois on kipax.com or cricketpics.co.uk or footballpics.co.uk as examples you wil see they all go to my own hosting ns1.kipax.co.uk etc :) so i know something needs doing at hosting end because thats what I do.

If you change nameservers not only will your web hosting change but also all email to your new domain will be rooted to virgin/blueyonder or?

I think your domain name will be hosted with 123 and you will need to contact them initially to release it.

Noooo you can just log in and change nameservers.. your maybe thinking of a domain transfer?

I do this all the time, simply change your nameserver to be the ones that virgin tell you
You'll probably have a promary and secondary.

Then you'll need to wait a fair whil (usually 24hrs) for the internet service providers (ISPs) DNS to update. this will be different for people on different ISPs.

That should do it. If not virgin may have some other requirement including having the domain name tag set to something they want.

have you got any onfo from virgin? A link maybe?

Noooo you can just log in and change nameservers.. your maybe thinking of a domain transfer?

What I meant was when you buy your domain name for the first time the seller has to be contacted for the transfer from them to whoever, in this case from 123 to Virgin.

So you are correct I was referring to the initial transfer.

Right well I have changed everything back to how it was before as it looks like BY doesn't allow or do the nameserver thing, so web forwarding is the way to go. So have to wait to see if it'll fix itself!!

Back