rihanna in belfast

Edit My Images
Yes
Lots of fun today when pop star Rihanna was in Belfast to film a music video for her new song "We Found Love"....

rihannabelfast-01cd.jpg

She went to a location that might not be an obvious first choice for something like a music video, the New Lodge flats (probably the most exciting thing to have happened there)....

rihannabelfast-02cd.jpg

The scene involved her driving around in a big white car, and quite a few people had gathered to watch....

rihannabelfast-03cd.jpg

There was a bit of a wait as the film crew set up their cameras...

rihannabelfast-04cd.jpg

But at least it gave the make up artists a chance to do their thing....

rihannabelfast-05cd.jpg

Then it was time for action...

rihannabelfast-06cd.jpg

However, it quickly became obvious that all the people standing around were spoiling the shot, and Rihanna called for them to move to give the movie cameras a clear shot....

rihannabelfast-07cd.jpg

It didn't work, and in spite of lots of security staff trying their best to move people out of the way, most were trying to stay put in the hope of getting some pictures on their mobile phones etc. Rihanna surprised everyone by getting out of the car and walking over to try and persuade them to move...

rihannabelfast-09cd.jpg

This unexpected move surprised the security staff, who rushed after her....

rihannabelfast-10cd.jpg

Naturally all the kids immediately surrounded her, wanting to get an autograph or a picture...

rihannabelfast-11cd.jpg

The police had to help the security staff extract her to a safer place...

rihannabelfast-12cd.jpg

After a short delay, the crowd was finally moved out of the way and filming could resume. Rihanna climbed back in the car, looking a little fed up with the delays....

rihannabelfast-13cd.jpg

rihannabelfast-14cd.jpg

The scene involved her hopping out of the car, shouting at the driver and then storming off in a huff. Unfortunately (or fortunately for the photographers!) a gust of wind ruined the shot, blowing her skirt up....

rihannabelfast-15cd.jpg

rihannabelfast-16cd.jpg

rihannabelfast-17cd.jpg

Even so, the movie cameras kept rolling and Rihanna carried on doing the scene by storming away from the car....

rihannabelfast-18cd.jpg

rihannabelfast-19cd.jpg

rihannabelfast-20cd.jpg

rihannabelfast-21cd.jpg

Eventually they got the filming done and it was time to move on. Rihanna gave me a little wave as she left....

rihannabelfast-22cd.jpg

In spite of a few hiccups, she seemed happy with the afternoon's work....

rihannabelfast-23cd.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the finished music video. This afternoon's shooting will probably only result in a few seconds of actual footage but it was fun to watch.

Wow they are great! How did you get such clear shots!? How long is the lens you used? Sorry to be nosy!

What a cracking set of pictures. I would love to know what gear and settings you used as they so clear and sharp

Really good and usual pic's of a very recognisable face, thanks for sharing. :)

Nice Shots. Pin Sharp, What setup was you using? I hope you have offered these to the press. They will sell, unless one of the other dozen togs got there first ;)

Enjoyed all the story and the very sharp photos.

No contract, they contacted me and asked for them on a percentage basis. And yes there were plenty of others taking pictures (even with mobile phones etc). So not really exclusive anyway. Although there were a couple of other slightly more controversial pictures which I haven't posted.

I've taken a few pics of celebrities before but never really managed to get much for them (so not holding my breath). The best shots were probably last year when I managed to get some shots of the singer Lady Gaga going into a Halloween party. She had been playing a concert in Belfast and had booked a nightclub to hold a private party afterwards for her crew. She was dressed as Cruella de Ville. I spotted her and got some pics - including some of her carrying a pistol. These were exclusive as there wasn't anyone else around. The rest is a long story, but they were used widely all over the place without me getting anything.

Anyway, for those who asked about lenses and settings. I used my old and battered Canon 70-200mm for all pictures (except one which was taken with a wide). As for settings, I mostly shoot in manual mode and in this case had set ISO 400, f-4 and typically shutter speed around 1,000 sec. Then I roll the shutter speed up and down (say between 500-sec and 2,000-sec) to suit the shot.

Back