Ring Flash or Flashgun

Vic

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have had a look over other threads for this but I am very confused! I have neither a flashgun or a ringflash as yet and was thinking of buying the 430x speedlite however I love the effect a ringflash gives.

Is the ringflash versatile in that it could be used for various portraits, etc?

Also when looking at jessops and other companies it says "macro" ringflash? Is this only to be used for macro lenses?

Sorry for sounding like a complete noob!

Cheers

Hi Mik,

I actually just saw these and they look amazing. I think that would be the better route to go down (especially at some of the prices :( )

I also saw some RingFlash adapters for the 580EX, i dont know if that would be another option.

However I may have to get my sticky-back-plastic out for the DIY!

A macro flash is no use for portrait work and a "real" one will cost you £££+. You can get ringflash adapters that fit onto 430ex for between £60-200 depending on the brand. Or you could make one yourself. I reckon mine will be standing me about £3 when I've finished it, maybe £4 if I decide to really push the boat out :LOL:

Well no harm in trying it out, like FITP said, put a little time into one and id say you can do as good as a bought one.

I've spent about 20 minutes on mine so far, just need to decide where the flash is going in ,cut the hole and rig up a wee bracket and it'll be good to go. Basically it's just two small plastic bowls with the bases cut out and then joined together with gaffer tape. Some aluminium tape for the reflector and some white material for a diffuser and that's all there is to it.

Don't know if it work properly mind you :LOL:

Back