Beginner River Ayr

Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of photos I took at River Ayr as part of my night class. The first one I have tweaked a little and cropped a small strip from the top to lose the harsh light from a lamp post on the far banks path. The second one is untouched straight from the camera.
Disclaimer: On the second pic; I took that from a position (quickly) set up by the class tutor. All I did was tweak the aperture or shutter speed (forget which), so I suppose if it's decent it's his and if it's crap.....well, it's mine! lol. I've only posted it as I kinda like it.

Feel free to offer tips on the first pic on editing, composition etc relevant to a beginner. I do appreciate it and always come back to read them and thank the contributors. (y) Well......I'm pretty sure I always thank folks.

River Ayr_001.jpg

River Ayr_001_01.jpg

The first seems a bit harsh to me, all blown highlights and solid striking colours.

The second would have worked better IMO if you'd moved a bit to the right & got the rivers edge at the top & lines bottom left level, but the movement, colours and tones are pleasing to me.

A bit overkill trying to make the orange light stand out perhaps?

Totally agree with the second one, but there were about a dozen of us crammed in together.......you shot where you could! lol I'll be going back there by myself to try for that shot again.

Appreciate the comments. Thanks.

The first seems a bit harsh to me, all blown highlights and solid striking colours.

Totally agree - in fact what was the point shooting this so late with almost no ambient light with city lights mixing in? Let's say I'm having a go at that "night class" here. Photography 101 is all about light, its balance and camera control. You really have no chance to balance it all at night. I would tell this the mentor straight up and ask for my money back. Such shot would only work in a very remote rural location so late, and we would be talking super long exposures, image blending, high ISOs and all sorts of things... It is too complicated for the beginning.

The basics are as follows:

* "night time" should really refer to "Blue hour" photography while there is still some {more} light in the sky.
* If you are trying to balance lights you should pick the time when the brightness is comparable. Light meter may help for a start but a well trained eye should be able to judge it relatively easily. Same principles apply in a studio.
* Distractions. I have a feelings those lights are really just that and shouldn't be in the shot. Flat concrete wall is not the prettiest element either.
* Brightest objects are almost invariably the first ones to be looked at - that's your colourful blown out lights, then the bush and only then water on the right...
* Exposure and histogram. For your money the class should have explained how to expose images correctly on day 1. You need to refer back to histogram and you can clearly see in 1 it is all over the right edge which means it is blown out and these are the light reflections. No 2 is totally underexposed by 1 stop or more - histogram is concentrated very far to the left away from the right edge. In ideal case it should be going from left to right edge but not beyond. It really is not difficult - adjust shutter speed till you get there unless the contrast is too high.
* The subject of the image. What is it? What is the subject's relationship with the surroundings?
* Composition. Normally in landscapes it works best to have lead in lines or other geometric shapes that go into the frame and direct the view. In these examples it is instead all going out and dividing the frame, which should be ideally avoided.

I basically would have shot the river looking upstream, perhaps from some bridge. An S bend in the river would work wonders for composition. I would have shot this with lots more daylight still available, or perhaps even during the golden hour...

At night or more specifically blue hour I would initially go and try some architecture to get the balance right. It sounds like you are more likely to get useful advise on here at the end of a day.

Thanks for the reply.

It's a beginners class and was more about getting us used to operating the camera and working with the settings to be fair. The river was handy for shooting and only formed a part of that lesson, we were taking shots of traffic moving to get light trails mostly. I won't be asking for my money back though as it's a good class with a knowledgeable tutor and I'm learning from it.

I'm no expert, but I pulled up the histograms for both pics and in the first it is definitely spiking just as it lands on the pure white side of things, i figured the cause of that would have been the street light I removed and the white light on the water (which I wanted to capture as I liked it), so I wasn't bothered about that too much. The second one is (as mentioned previously) more about the composition I thought. That gun metal colour was pretty much what I was looking at, so I was quite happy the colours turned out as they did to be honest. The composition could definitely be improved upon, it was the best spot I could nab at the time though! lol

Appreciate the response. (y)

Back