weekly Robhooley167's Film 52 for 2012 - They think it's all over, it is now...

Nice (y)

I don't know wether it's a male thing but mechanical stuff always attracts my attention.

Make for some interesting detailed photos like this one.

Did you take others of the crane Rob??.....if so, I'd like to see em!

Rusty metal must be a man thing (y)

I might have one similar to this on velvia which will be on it's way to Peak for developing tomorrow

I'm quite tempted to pick up a macro lens for the RB67, the bellows get good results with a landscape lens so i wonder what they would give with a dedicated macro one (y)

Week 38

Bridging the gap

Scan-121016-0004.jpg

Rollei ATP 1.1 devved in Rodinal 1:300 for 12 minutes

Not sure i'm a fan of this film any more, it's the curliest film i've ever used and it has the thickest springiest backing with a quite delicate emulsion, making it an absolute pig to scan

This is how curly it is :

8BAC1F66-7B4F-4E0A-AC1D-5271E48DCFBF-10669-000006B8849714A9.jpg

Another "man thing" type of shot Rob ......bridges and engineering.....me likes (y)

You've done well to have kept detail is most of the shot given what looks to have been difficult light with very sharp contrasts.

As for the curly wurly film....The last film I devd for my 52 was also rollei ( superpan 200) which also has the ability to curl up the neg sleeves and play difficult at getting into the film holders of the scanner....not quite to the extreme that you're having though. Mindst there is worse....EFKE 127 film!!!:puke: I haven't shot/scanned any for a while ..;wonder why!:thinking::D

Week 39 - Flat Stanley

Scan-121016-0013.jpg

Some street art from Nelson Street in Bristol on the F&C meet

Ilford HP5+ pushed to 3200 in 1:25 Rodinal
Grain the size of sandpaper

Week 40 - Welcome to the 60's

Scan-121016-0004-1.jpg

HP5+ pushed to 3200 in 1:25 Rodinal

Week 38 may be curly but the tones are excellent.

Week 39 looks familiar, I'm sure I've got something very very similar.

week 40, gotta love a bit of 1960's pre-cast concrete, it's got a style all of its own. And the HP5+ has stood up surprisingly well to being pushed that far, have you tried stand developing HP5+ pushed that far?

Week 41 - Verboaten

Some slightly OOD Velvia 50 taken on the Bristol film meet on the RB67 at f22

Scan-121030-0001.jpg

I'm not sure about this, but whatever floats your boat

:coat:

Last edited:
An alternate version of week 37, this time in colour (y)

Scan-121030-0003.jpg

Velvia 50 on the RB67 f11

Week 42 - Standing proud

Scan-121030-0005-Edit.jpg

Bit more Velvia 50 this time at f22

Taken in the middle of a busy pavement with the other F&C geezers rushing past to go to the pub

Hi Rob,

So you had some beautiful blue skies in Bristol then .... Made shootin some colour film all the more worthwhile!

Week 41: Wouldn't say it rocked my boat as such but there is something i like about it nonetheless......not quite sure what it is. The water looks well murky doesn't it?....fortuanatly the blue in the sky brightens up the scene.

Week 42: Like the perspective on this Rob, just a shame about the traffic lights...they always put signs and posts in the most inconvenient places for us photographers don't they?!! lol

As for the alternative week 37: I prefer the original tbh and as you possibly already gathered, I tend to be drawn more to b&w than colour.

It's been 4 weeks since i last posted in here :( so i have some catching up to do!

Anyway, here's Week 43 - Incoming!

Scan-121127-0004.jpg

Fuji Acros 100 on the RB67, f8 and 1/125 in Rodinal 1:100

It's been 4 weeks since i last posted in here :( so i have some catching up to do!

Anyway, here's Week 43 - Incoming!

Scan-121127-0004.jpg

Fuji Acros 100 on the RB67, f8 and 1/125 in Rodinal 1:100

Wow they look like "Giants" pebbles........you didn't get to build sancastles then? :D

I've heard quite a few praises about Acros film.....it's certainly held well onto the highlights in this shot whilst maintaining shadow details.

Week 44 - Bridge Vignette

Scan-121130-0003.jpg

Provia 100

No PP apart from the crop from 6x7, came out perfectly (y)

Wow they look like "Giants" pebbles........you didn't get to build sancastles then? :D

I've heard quite a few praises about Acros film.....it's certainly held well onto the highlights in this shot whilst maintaining shadow details.

In truth it's underexposed as i was trying to keep the water relatively sharp, it was impossible to meter accurately as the contrast range was about 8 stops between the rocks and the sky (strong sun and black rocks)

Week 45 - Beetham Tower

Scan-121130-00012-Edit2.jpg

Provia 100

Some hefty PP undertaken to remove the distracting signage and correct the colour from the mixed lighting around the foreground, the sky is untouched

1 min 30s at f22

Last edited:
In truth it's underexposed as i was trying to keep the water relatively sharp, it was impossible to meter accurately as the contrast range was about 8 stops between the rocks and the sky (strong sun and black rocks)

Tell me about sharp contrasts.....even doing street down here there can be a massive difference from one side of the road to the other......not that I'm complaining about the sun you understand!!

You did very well to end up with the result you did given the lighting.

Week 44 - Bridge Vignette

Scan-121130-0003.jpg

Provia 100

No PP apart from the crop from 6x7, came out perfectly (y)

Clever capture of a natural vignette (y).......you certainly have an eye for creativity....Well done!

Week 46 - Kimmeridge at sunset

Scan-121129-0006-Edit.jpg

A rather nice part of the world on the Jurassic Coast - Dorset

Provia 100

Tell me about sharp contrasts.....even doing street down here there can be a massive difference from one side of the road to the other......not that I'm complaining about the sun you understand!!

You did very well to end up with the result you did given the lighting.

Clever capture of a natural vignette (y).......you certainly have an eye for creativity....Well done!

Thanks Asha

I've shot that bridge several times and never noticed the vignette it causes when the light is almost directly overhead

Week 46 - Kimmeridge at sunset

Scan-121129-0006-Edit.jpg

A rather nice part of the world on the Jurassic Coast - Dorset

Provia 100

No dinosaurs then??...I could have temporarily lent you my pet one (you know who i mean don't you?!! :D :D

Already commented on this shot elsewhere .....for me it still has a feel of an isolated volcanic island with lava flow.

Very nice!

No dinosaurs then??...I could have temporarily lent you my pet one (you know who i mean don't you?!! :D :D

Already commented on this shot elsewhere .....for me it still has a feel of an isolated volcanic island with lava flow.

Very nice!

Thanks for the comment elsewhere (if i haven't already thanked you for it)

the colours of the sunset were fantasic, these scans are coming up a bit purple as provia has quite strong blues.

Week 47 - Man o' War Bay at Sunrise

Scan-121130-0001.jpg

Another Provia 100 shot, you can see what my go to colour film is can't you :D

Week 47 - Man o' War Bay at Sunrise

Scan-121130-0001.jpg

Another Provia 100 shot, you can see what my go to colour film is can't you :D

What a beautiful coastline....How fortuanate were you to fall for sun too.

I'm becoming more and more tempted to have a dabble with colour myself after seeing these results Rob.....the colours are gorgeous.

What a beautiful coastline....How fortuanate were you to fall for sun too.

I'm becoming more and more tempted to have a dabble with colour myself after seeing these results Rob.....the colours are gorgeous.

Yes it was a spectacular sunrise, i shot it about 2 minutes after Woodsy shot his large format shot from the little outcrop below, so luckily i avoided getting him in frame and i think i got the best light in that location

Get yourself some Provia 100, gorgeous colours and it doesn't have the tightest exposure latitude

Last edited:
Week 48 - Dad and his lads

Scan-121127-0002.jpg

Acros 100, f16

Had to guess a shutter speed as the figures were too small to fit in the spot meter and the contrast with the background was too much for it to deal with

Week 48 - Dad and his lads

Scan-121127-0002.jpg

Acros 100, f16

Had to guess a shutter speed as the figures were too small to fit in the spot meter and the contrast with the background was too much for it to deal with

A good guess!!

Sometimes judging the exposure adds to the fun...depends how "important" the shot is I suppose but often it's easier than you might imagine.

Best to use film with some lattitude mindst just to be in the safe side :D

Great result for the conditions, especially for "guessing" the shutter speed! Well done.

A good guess!!

Sometimes judging the exposure adds to the fun...depends how "important" the shot is I suppose but often it's easier than you might imagine.

Best to use film with some lattitude mindst just to be in the safe side :D

Cheers guys, i've had a bit of luck with guessing exposures

One of my best pictures was taken when i had no light meter, I was using Adox 25 which had a latitude of about 1 stop and utterly nailed it (y)

Week 49 - Man at Work

Scan-120629-0001.jpg

Kodak Ektar 100, converted to black and white in lightroom
RB67, 50mm C lens

Week 50 - At the end of the day

RobHooley-1.jpg

RB67, 50mm C and Portra 160

Slightly underexposed the neg which gave strong colour casts and made correcting the white balance a pain in the 'arris. so i converted it, cleaned the dust marks off and cropped it to 6x6 to lose the people milling around in the left side of the frame

Ooh I love those last three Rob :) Dad and his lads in particular has a feel it's very difficult to get with digital, and shows why people still love film so much.

Stunning sky in Man at work too, with a very nice composition :)

Last edited:
Week 49.....Cracking silhouette Rob....the sky makes the shot imo.

Week 50.....Love the way you have managed to capture the moon whilst the sun light diminishes into the horizon......( does it have a very slight lean to the right or is it my failing eyesight??)

Week 49.....Cracking silhouette Rob....the sky makes the shot imo.

Week 50.....Love the way you have managed to capture the moon whilst the sun light diminishes into the horizon......( does it have a very slight lean to the right or is it my failing eyesight??)

Cheers Asha

I think week 50 does have a bit of a lean yes, when i get round to it i will correct it and re-upload (y)

Week 51 - Time for a break

Custard Cream taken with the 50mm lens on the RB67 at full bellows extension, about 5cm from the end of the lens

Scan-120421-0008_zpsa4bdcd94.jpg

Fuji Acros 100 in Rodinal

Week 52 - The End of the Line

Well... It's been an interesting year and it only seemed fitting to end my 52 with a photo of the end

Scan-120422-0004_zpsbe77a436.jpg

Ilford HP5+ at 1600, devved in Rodinal

It's been a pleasure...ish

folks.jpg

Thank you to everyone who has dropped in and commented. Big thanks to Asha for being my F&C running mate and dropping by every time i had a new shot up (y)

Me right now, obviously not as cool though :cool:
80s-dance-kid.gif

Week 51 - Time for a break

Custard Cream taken with the 50mm lens on the RB67 at full bellows extension, about 5cm from the end of the lens

Scan-120421-0008_zpsa4bdcd94.jpg

Fuji Acros 100 in Rodinal

Soft spot for custard creams eh ....mine used to be jammy dodgers!

Quite a cool "macro" style shot....without macro tubes! lol

Week 52 - The End of the Line

Well... It's been an interesting year and it only seemed fitting to end my 52 with a photo of the end

Scan-120422-0004_zpsbe77a436.jpg

Ilford HP5+ at 1600, devved in Rodinal

It's been a pleasure...ish

folks.jpg

Very fitting shot ..."End of the line" ...like your thinking!

"Pleasure....ish" ??.................I was under the impression you enjoyed every second of it :p

Thank you to everyone who has dropped in and commented. Big thanks to Asha for being my F&C running mate and dropping by every time i had a new shot up (y)

Thoroughly enjoyed following your challenge Rob (y)

Me right now, obviously not as cool though :cool:
80s-dance-kid.gif

:LOL:

Back