Robin......by Robin....

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this the same day I received my new 70-300mm lens, polite comments only please!!!

looks a little on the soft side to me have you sharpened this or is it straight from camera
?

Straight from the camera - just getting used to Photoshop.
What's the best way to sharpen please?

I know this wont be helffull but there are several ways and everybody has their best way of doing it.
Personally I use unsharp mark which is under filter/sharpen/ unsharp mask leave the bottom slider alone on zero take your midle slider to 0.9 to start with then take your top slider up til your happy... oh I almost forgot before you do this double click the magnifying glass icon this will take your image to 100% and always try and start with a raw image not a jpg..
hope this helps a little! from a shooting stand point try and focus on the eye with your focus point.

I was trying to get the eye but handheld and not used to the lens this was proving difficult.
Thanks for your pointers re sharpening - I will give it a go, does it need a new layer first?

some say it does others not... I convert to a smart filter with my finished image so I can reajust the sharpness in the future

Hope you don't mind but I applied a touch of "unsharp mask" and adjusted the levels slightly. I think theres an improvement.

Robin7.jpg

There is indeed.
I will have to give it a try tonight, do you mind if I get back to you if I get stuck?

Back