Robin fledging period & do GSW second brood?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

We have Robin's nesting in the hedge with feeding visits happening and some upcoming fence work to be done soon. So, how long is a safe period to wait and be sure they have fledged ok?

The other question ~ I have had a GSW nest pointed out the me that successful fledged recently. Does anyone know if they (regularly?) have a second brood?

Hi all

We have Robin's nesting in the hedge with feeding visits happening and some upcoming fence work to be done soon. So, how long is a safe period to wait and be sure they have fledged ok?

The other question ~ I have had a GSW nest pointed out the me that successful fledged recently. Does anyone know if they (regularly?) have a second brood?

The GSW nest I photographed last week, fledged yesterday and this morning I saw the female taking fresh bedding into the hole- so I guess this pair are readying the nest
for brood No2 :)

Hi all

You should be able to tell when the young have fledged as the adults won't be taking food in so regularly to the same place. Once fledged the young will probably scatter but the adults will probably keep track of them.

The GSW nest I photographed last week, fledged yesterday and this morning I saw the female taking fresh bedding into the hole- so I guess this pair are readying the nest
for brood No2 :)

Sounds good as a possibility then with the one I now know about! I need to go on that 'route' a little more often and wait/watch & listen there.

You should be able to tell when the young have fledged as the adults won't be taking food in so regularly to the same place. Once fledged the young will probably scatter but the adults will probably keep track of them.

Yup, reduction in visits and seeing the juveniles is around the garden : fingers crossed:

What I was hoping to find out is likely number of days if possible so we can get something on the calendar ;)

Laurence really check the hedge with a fine tooth comb,it might not just be robin nesting;) Mate I mean really check get on your knees so you can look up through the hedge oftentime it makes a nest site easier to spot ,check every llittle gap you see a bird enter hedge,all just in case, stuff, simply if you are sure you won't feel bad later on. I can't stress how damn thorough I'd bee

I'd be happy to start works, once I'm seeing kids bouncing around the garden being fed by their parents. To the best of my knowledge they leave the nest and don't return

I think Les has you back re second clutch of GWS, I'm unsure myself. What I can absolutely tell you is I had young GWS on the feeders in august 2018., i've just looked to check my facts are right bro. So everything points to that being a second clutch in some way shape or form.

They were here last year almost exactly this time of year. I guess another two months can't be far away from a second clutch fledging.I've not looked up facts on incubation time or fledging time periods, buddy,all the above is observation driven. I'm sure that info could be found fairly easily to give you some time frames .

Finally GWS are skittish: no harm in mentioning care at nest site,it's you mate I know you will show due diligence , it's just worth putting out there

hope that is a little bit of help
stu

PS Ahh mate you might like this:
Lol talking of disturbing nests, I was just about to turn the contents of my compo bins over yesterday, which is much earlier than I usually do. Basically I forgot my self wondered up to my first bin and found say a 3 foot or there abouts shed snake skin,ahh the joy mate.:D Second bin had her, a stunning grass snake, I've just left her be my hope is she's nesting and if lady luck smiles I might just get a photo op a bit later on of a little one.

I so nearly made a huge gaff here( I should know better ,just didn't think!! It would have broken my heart to have had her eggs on the tines of a garden fork.I'd have beaten myself up for ages over that I'm so thankful she shed where she did.:cautious: .

Thanks all for the replies and insights :)

Laurence really check the hedge with a fine tooth comb,it might not just be robin nesting;) Mate I mean really check get on your knees so you can look up through the hedge oftentime it makes a nest site easier to spot ,check every llittle gap you see a bird enter hedge,all just in case, stuff, simply if you are sure you won't feel bad later on. I can't stress how damn thorough I'd bee

I'd be happy to start works, once I'm seeing kids bouncing around the garden being fed by their parents. To the best of my knowledge they leave the nest and don't return

I think Les has you back re second clutch of GWS, I'm unsure myself. What I can absolutely tell you is I had young GWS on the feeders in august 2018., i've just looked to check my facts are right bro. So everything points to that being a second clutch in some way shape or form.

They were here last year almost exactly this time of year. I guess another two months can't be far away from a second clutch fledging.I've not looked up facts on incubation time or fledging time periods, buddy,all the above is observation driven. I'm sure that info could be found fairly easily to give you some time frames .

Finally GWS are skittish: no harm in mentioning care at nest site,it's you mate I know you will show due diligence , it's just worth putting out there

hope that is a little bit of help
stu

PS Ahh mate you might like this:
Lol talking of disturbing nests, I was just about to turn the contents of my compo bins over yesterday, which is much earlier than I usually do. Basically I forgot my self wondered up to my first bin and found say a 3 foot or there abouts shed snake skin,ahh the joy mate.:D Second bin had her, a stunning grass snake, I've just left her be my hope is she's nesting and if lady luck smiles I might just get a photo op a bit later on of a little one.

I so nearly made a huge gaff here( I should know better ,just didn't think!! It would have broken my heart to have had her eggs on the tines of a garden fork.I'd have beaten myself up for ages over that I'm so thankful she shed where she did.:cautious: .

Stu, @Stuart Philpott

#1 Robins nest ~ as the genders are not obviously identifiable, I am convinced that they (viewing with binos I think there are min of 3 nestlings) are being fed by only a single parent. The frequency and flight pattern and never both parents seen together....???

The hedge ~ this is very long and badly blighted conifer hedge, well past its 'keep until' date :LOL: it has its lowest branches approx 3inches off the ground and is so dense as to in most places to be impenetrable. The only reason I spotted the nest was the Robin's visits to a specific 'gap' and as far as I have been able to determine this is (now) the only nest in it.

The actual date when we will get something done about it (if it was still healthy & 100% alive we would not be looking to remove it (it is in total approx 100ft long, varies along its length in height from over 6ft to about 3ft and the width likewise goes from 5ft to 3ft wide NB when it was healthy we needed to clip it twice a year and the volume of waste was big!

#2 re GSW nest hole ~ the tree is a dead silver birch and the nest hole approx 10ft above the ground and the path runs within about 12-15ft of the tree. It is not the most frequented path but from conversations a number of folk knew about the recent occupation. So, unclear how used to the presence of people (including dog walkers) the parents were or are..................once the weather perks up I will try to include more visits to the area and see and hear what if any activity there might be ;)

Hey buddy how are ya?:D
Always nice to hear those words Laurence, well done:cool: I like the image too and also felt said offending hedge smacked of leylandii and I guess that iis exactly what it is after seeing the little one What are you going to replace it with buddy?? 100 yard of hedge you could have a field day:). ok recreate an old brit hedge and have a field day with all the simplicity and complexity of lets put a hedge back

Any news on the GWS nest site?

Mate a little cross over for you. I 100% know (well used too) a female GWS who reared at least one of her kids from some stage to adulathood,without her mate . Sadly he was killed coming to our feeders ironically by a vechicle on a day our road was actually closed( water board ) Mum kept coming here to feed and eventually turned up with a little one,it was really lovely. I set up a peanut feeder(not wire mesh holes in small trunk) I got some lovely stuff of them together. I think my old girl has been pushed out. I know we also had another pair coming,some of the scraps/fights were amazing to see,although sadly I wasn't lucky enough to catch anything of that image wise. I'm not seeing them this year mate not like normal. They are scatty birds very nervous of us,but these were a tiny bit special in that they knew us so well. and were so tolerent of us. Great for image making;). So it's been a bit sad without, her especially, this year The feeder is now sort of hidden so I can't see it ( blummin foxes:LOL: and my half baked attempts at catching up with them) . I'm pretty sure we are getting visits, they love that feeder the GWS, But I can't really be sure on the nuances of who exactly is visiting this year.

Lovelyl lovely birds, that red hits me like a sledgehammer, Laurence. I sat me cared for lad straight out of hos (after another near death experice) under a nest ,so he could watch mum fly in and red heads pop out................ ahh mate, the lads face;) He had proper brain issues, couldn't remember anything, yet he told folks about that wood pecker till the end............ his face though mate, the smile:cool:

Lol I so nearly missed the link bro,:banghead:.

Buddy I think I get a link to all threads I reply to??? You might not need to do the @ thang???...

.Hmm then again it's me isn't it, two slaps might be better than one............................... huh:ROFLMAO:

take care

Hi Stu

OK here, hopefully you & yours too :)

If the hedge was 100yards I would be worried!!!! Approx 100ft is more than enough ~ thanks :LOL: :banghead::banghead::banghead: and yes fairly sure it is Leylandii but over the years we have kept it tamed ~ all planted by the previous owner. There were also (thinks???) 5 that had grown into trees but we took them all out maybe 20 years back now...............they had grown to approx 20ft and by dint of effort and care we took them out ourselves with multiple runs to the dump.

The hedge first showed sign of the blight that affects that sort of conifer (many houses around here have similar hedge plantings and 99.9% have had the blight). Frankly, the hedge is great for privacy...............but we are reconciled to "it has to go". The had fence panels go in the storms pre Covid19 and the quotes we had have been postponed but we will be inviting one or two suppliers back to include quoting for the removal of the hedge and replacing it with fencing. That stretch we are only permitted to have 1.4M high structural barriers, so about a 4ft high close lapped panels one and/or post & rail. But as for what to plant within/behind it, no clear ideas yet.

I have already cut back to 4ft tall our overgrown 20ft high Lilac in prep for the fence nearest the house but have dropped its height we have concluded it needs to be grubbed out as part of a the greater project of the whole of the front garden boundary! (NB the sticking point is that with the hedge gone we will see all the neighbours 'blo*dy' cars and works vans parked in the cul de sac ~ grrrr! :mad::mad:

Ideally we need to look at faster growing hedging plants but ones that are wildlife friendly, so native species if possible, and maybe a bit of mixed planting ;) We were quoted a fair chunk just to re-fence and improve the wind damaged sections (rear garden & front garden), so just to find out the most cost effective (budget worthy???) solution for the hedge replacement!

Re: GSW ~ yet to walk the route again................mojo is like a yo-yo these days ~ c'est la vie.

Sorry to blather on but do I read in your post that your lad has passed ~ or have got the wrong end of the stick? Humblest apologies if I have made a stupid mistake:thinking::oops: :$

PS as for @ thang , though I have set to "watch" etc I still don't get reminders for some threads o_O

Laurence, sorry for the mess ups above lol 100 yards:LOL: .I guess the time stamp on this post could be used as an excuse but nah I just make gaffs:LOL:

I was a carer for around 10 years trying to save just one person no relation . Fella had probs from birth so yes very sadly I went to work one morn and found him dead,sorry a bit brutal but clearer. It was a few years back now mate.

But yeah tuff stuff buddy.really hard ,he was only 44. He had kidney probs, so i'd get him in woods and fields, outdoors as much as possible and show him nature. The poor lad was plugged into a machine half his life. . I'm me, I just bumble into stuff, wildlife wise so he got to see things many folks don't. Hares leverets baby roe kids fallow fawns ha and baby birds. .

I used the camera to really show him what he had seen,not only in physical detail but it helped him hold memories

Laurence. I wasn't looking for sympathy, lol and i'm no hero either............... like the folks today I just think of him when I write about GWS and thought you might like the tale , he just couldn't believe he was watching real live woodpeckers and their babies and them being fed, As I say the smile, :D

Alerts seem to be a law unto them selves for some, mine seem pretty good,

The hedge still sounds incredibly interesting a bit shorter:rolleyes: now,but I guess haw and hazel might be a nice start ,do you know of guilder rose?? I might have to come back on that when awake mate,sure it's guilder?? Spindle?? Rowen??? I know not which grow fast bar hawthorn, But put all those in a line and there will be some life there shortly:)

Back