Robin update.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Well my Robin seems to be getting more and more used to us so got some better pics of him / her.

Taken with 18-55 IS kit lens.

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

Not bad at all to get THAT up close & personal. Have to say the very bright sky in No.1 is off putting to me but 2 & 3 are great.

Thanks for the kind comments :) , my Robins a cheeky one to say the least, it even comes in the back door to help it's self to the meal worms if we leave the lid off the tub and the door open :nono:.

I will try and get some more when / if the sun comes out as those were taken when it was a overcast so not ideal light really.

Great shots Mark, they are great little birds (y)

A pleasure to photograph are robins(y)

Love 2 and 3, but have to agree about the sky in the first shot :clap:

Looked at the first one and thought not bad!

Got to the second and yes, much better - a great shot,

....then got to no 3, and WOW!!!!! :D Amazing! Really well done for taming a lovely robin!

Great shots of a lovely bird, well done for getting the robin to go on hand :). How did you get the robin to go on your hand? Did you use meal worms? Sorry for asking lots of questions, I'd love to get the robin to feed from my hand one day, that would be wicked :)

Thats a very impressive feat getting a wild Robin into your hand......lovely shot too.

At the risk of repeating myself thankyou for the comments, they really are great little birds and the closer you get to them the better they get.

I do feed Robin live meal worms which you can get from http://www.livefoodsdirect.co.uk/ (hope posting this doesn't break any rules?)

As for training it to feed from the hand that was actually quite easy as it seemed pretty friendly to begin with. We initially started feeding live mealworms from a tub on the patio table a couple of months or so ago but the starlings found it and emptied it within minutes so i modified our multifeeder (http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&group_id=15&nav_id=37&prd_id=657) with a yoghurt pot as the starlings still emptied it within minutes after which the Robins and Tits pretty much had it to their selves. It was during topping it up in the mornings i noticed one Robin was particularly close to the point of flying around the feeder at times. So i decided to try and get it to come to me by sitting in a patio chair near the feeder with some mealworms in my hand and "dropping" a few on the floor. It wasn't long before he / she was swooping down nicking a worm and was off again in a split second.

Fast forward a month or so and now Robin happily sits in our hands whilst eating numerous worms, if it wants more, for it's self / young it lets you know by hopping of your hand onto the bench in the above pics and waits whilst you go get a few more :LOL:

Very well done with the 18-55 kit lens (y) Lovely shots, and thanks for the information and the suppliers link :)

At the risk of repeating myself thankyou for the comments, they really are great little birds and the closer you get to them the better they get.

I do feed Robin live meal worms which you can get from http://www.livefoodsdirect.co.uk/ (hope posting this doesn't break any rules?)

As for training it to feed from the hand that was actually quite easy as it seemed pretty friendly to begin with. We initially started feeding live mealworms from a tub on the patio table a couple of months or so ago but the starlings found it and emptied it within minutes so i modified our multifeeder (http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&group_id=15&nav_id=37&prd_id=657) with a yoghurt pot as the starlings still emptied it within minutes after which the Robins and Tits pretty much had it to their selves. It was during topping it up in the mornings i noticed one Robin was particularly close to the point of flying around the feeder at times. So i decided to try and get it to come to me by sitting in a patio chair near the feeder with some mealworms in my hand and "dropping" a few on the floor. It wasn't long before he / she was swooping down nicking a worm and was off again in a split second.

Fast forward a month or so and now Robin happily sits in our hands whilst eating numerous worms, if it wants more, for it's self / young it lets you know by hopping of your hand onto the bench in the above pics and waits whilst you go get a few more :LOL:

excellent story!
pretty darn good pictures too! :clap:

Back