Rock

S

Steve

Simply a rock.

IMG_3834_02.jpg

Canon 20D
Canon 70-200L
Kenco Pro300 1.4x Extender

290mm, F29, 4secs, tripod, mirror lockup and remote shutter release.

Comments welcomed.

And a very pleasant rock at that :). I really like the colours and fluid appearance of the water, but I'm not so fussed on the area in the bottom right corner which looks out of place.

It's not manipulated at all is it Steve? :D

Seriously... I really like that a lot. I agree... the oof blob in the lower right hand corner spoils an absolutely great shot. Love the processing! You'll soon have to stop whingeing about not being able to do abstract stuff. ;)

This photo was taken in the last minutes of the sunset.

It was processed in rawshooter, increased saturation only at that point. Then taken in Photoshop and after selecting the black point in the upper quarter of the water I then altered the curves very slightly. Cloned out a small distraction but other than that its as shot.

There was nothing I could do to remove the oof in the lower right of frame as I couldn't get a better angle on the shot, as it was the camera and tripod nearly went swimming :)

gandhi said:
so that's the rocks partner that's been cloned out in the bottom right is it?

Good processing though, save that one fact.

No cloneing in the bottom right at all. The water is like that from the spashes caused by another rock just out of frame.

Sorry Steve I can't make my mind up with this one. I can't decide on the water and feel for definate the rock is to bland and is being over powered by the water imo.

After all the helpful advice I have done some extra photoshop work.

IMG_3834_01edit.jpg

Is that any better?

Is that any better?

Yeah it is, nice peice of shoppery. :icon_cool

If your adjusting to order could I have a teeny bit more detial in the front edge of the rock. ;)

That's not bad Steve... it's a tricky job to get those two currents of water converging believably in front of the rock.

I see your still on your 'Journey' for that perfect abstract.;)

I like the colours in the water in this, but I think the rock detracts from the image.
This is down to the colours in the rock, which can be adjusted with a bit of selective saturation/de-saturation. This will bring out some of the red in the rock to go with the colour in the water. I would also up the blue saturation on the water.

The composition doesn't work for me, I would like to see a little more space to the right of the rock, this would give the water and viewers eye somewhere to go, at the moment it just stops at the rock.
I expect you do have a shot with more space around the rock?

Matt said:
I see your still on your 'Journey' for that perfect abstract.;)

Not really, I was just out with the camera and this shot was there for the taking at the end of the evening. I hadn’t considered if it was an abstract or not when I was taking it.

Matt said:
I like the colours in the water in this, but I think the rock detracts from the image.
This is down to the colours in the rock, which can be adjusted with a bit of selective saturation/de-saturation. This will bring out some of the red in the rock to go with the colour in the water. I would also up the blue saturation on the water.

I could spend the extra time on doing just that but in light of what you wrote below..

Matt said:
The composition doesn't work for me, I would like to see a little more space to the right of the rock, this would give the water and viewers eye somewhere to go, at the moment it just stops at the rock.
I expect you do have a shot with more space around the rock?

No Matt, I briefly mentioned above the difficulty I had getting this shot as it is. There is no space around the rock and I chose the best accessible vantage point to get this framed, with the light hitting the water right and without falling in myself.

The picture below is a wider view of the location, the rock above can be seen in the middle of the frame about a quarter of the way up just before the water drops over the edge of the waterfall. Again this shot was taken with the telephoto lens and it compresses the image somewhat making it look much more accessible than it actually was.

I was lucky enough to get some great shots from this location and the rock shot above was just something that I saw at the end of the shoot. I don’t think it is worth me spending any more time working the image, there has to be a point where you move on.

IMG_3831_02.jpg

Cheers for all the help and comments from everyone, the final rock image has come on a long way from the original shot.

The last rock pic has come on a long way and, you have made a good job of the cloning but this last pic with the bridge included is stunning.
I like that very much.

I expected you to have a photo with more space around the rock, but not this much.:)

Top Draw

you were just teasing us werent you Steve, drawing us in to give the real picture that bit more impact...

\o/ I thought I recognised that bridge, I take it you found it then?

Was it anywhere near where we tried looking?

Stewart took me to it by a completely different route but in the end I guess we where only about a mile away when we attempted to find it.

Back