Rockys cameras

Thanks for this thread. Was looking at a few things on his website and I'd though I'd check before ordering....

Who is reliable in the UK for film cameras ? Ffordes, West Yorkshire Camera, Harrison, LCE... anyone else ?

I'm a big fan of Ffordes. But aperture UK are worth a look too and if it's Nikon related, Grays, although don't expect any bargains!

It's also worth mentioning that sensible use of ebay can still turn up great gear. If a listing contains plenty of detailed information, good and bad, that clearly identifies that the seller knows what they're talking about and has good feedback to back it up, then combined with buyer protection via paypal, it is among the safer methods of buying.

Last edited:
There have always been untrustworthy sellers. There was a shop in Camden Town (London) that was infamous for its behaviour but people still kept buying from them. I've bought 2 items from Rocky. One was just fine and the other was rubbish. As both items together were less than £20 I thought it was a reasonable result given all the stories in circulation.

Off the top of my head... Mifsuds, London Camera Exchange, Red Dot cameras, Harrisons Cameras.

Thanks for this thread. Was looking at a few things on his website and I'd though I'd check before ordering....

Who is reliable in the UK for film cameras ? Ffordes, West Yorkshire Camera, Harrison, LCE... anyone else ?
Yea, it took a crazy amount of emails and me saying I’d take him to Smalls claims before he refunded the camera. Don’t know if I actually would have for £70 but it worked. Took about a month.
I’ve bought a couple of things from ffordes, always been really good. I bought a mamiya 45mm lens for a 645 camera and a prism view finder for the same camera. The lens was perfect and they even went through their stock to pick the best viewfinder they had.

Out of interest i had a conversation with him today. I had thought of getting shot of my late fathers collection in one go. Now bearing in mind dad worked in the trade for 40 years & had amassed a good collection all of which he used & was absolutely fastidious about his cameras. We talked ball park figures & they were very low. But it was when he started telling me about how he was in remission from some rare cancer & had had this operation etc etc that i realised he was pulling the long bow rather a lot! Im afraid he wont be getting Dads stuff after all.

Try Ffordes Keith.

I've never sold to them as everything has always sold privately but I did once send them an email about selling and they responded quickly and seemed honest and trustworthy.

Other than that, wait until you clock up enough posts to sell stuff here and give us a chance of buying your fathers loved and looked after kit.

Out of interest i had a conversation with him today. I had thought of getting shot of my late fathers collection in one go. Now bearing in mind dad worked in the trade for 40 years & had amassed a good collection all of which he used & was absolutely fastidious about his cameras. We talked ball park figures & they were very low. But it was when he started telling me about how he was in remission from some rare cancer & had had this operation etc etc that i realised he was pulling the long bow rather a lot! Im afraid he wont be getting Dads stuff after all.
He only got back to me about the refund when I had a friend lie about selling some stuff to him to get him on the phone! Lol

Didn’t have a credit card at the time. Can’t believe he’s still in business to be honest. He must refund at least 50% of what he sells
i imagine a lot of people just give up and let him have the money because most of his items are <£50-ish
Real scummy way to make money, I not sure if any one complained and who you'd have to lodge your complaint with tbh.

Try Ffordes Keith.

I've never sold to them as everything has always sold privately but I did once send them an email about selling and they responded quickly and seemed honest and trustworthy.

Other than that, wait until you clock up enough posts to sell stuff here and give us a chance of buying your fathers loved and looked after kit.
I sold a Leica CL and lens through Ffordes, as a commission sale. It went very smoothly, and I have no regrets, though accepting the 25% commission (which I knew about in advance) caused a lump in my throat! I'd had no luck selling here, and the lens had been sold and returned (at my expense) on fleabay because of an alleged (and invisible to me) imperfection on the rear surface! I asked about Ffordes buying the kit but the price was quite a bit lower. I would definitely trust to sell to/through, but I'd try other options first.

I've bought cracking kit from them (Ffordes), also Mifsuds and WYC, who gave me an excellent no cash part exchange to get my Pentax LX!

Back