Critique Rolleiflex Automat and a walk in the Lakes

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Reactions: Jao
I like the images btu as you were after some criti I'll offer some :)

First one Water Mill: I find that my eye wonders around to much and that the ferns seem to disppear into the rocks making a little bit a a grey mess.

Second One Water Mill: I like this alot however I find that the "white" area at the top of the image draws my eye away to much, I do not think a crop would work as it would throw the image out to much but a bit a selective masking and maybe just toned down a little would help.

3rd One: Mill boot 1: Do like this it works for me with a nice range of tones.

4th one Steam Engine: I like the limited DOF on this and like the sompostion as well (and I would have proably framed it the same myself) but like the one above the people on the left with the very light jackets drag the eye away.

Just my opinion feel free to say "rubbish"

We could always do with practicing critique!

1) The water is flowing out of the bottom corner, dragging my eye with it - especially as it's bright white foam at that point. Also not enough differentiation in tone between the foliage and the rocks.

2) Now we're talking. The brightness is in the middle, guiding the eye up and down the frame, rather than out of it. Nice tones on the rocks. I'd burn the big white splodge on the right a bit though.

3) Like the composition - the foaming water on the surface of the pool gives a depth that it would be lacking otherwise. Nice sharpness, nice detail. Again not keen on the lack of difference between foliage and rock - I guess a yellow filter might be the way to go?

4) Classic engine shot - lovely. Momentary double take while the brain realises it's not a trick of perspective, but a small loco :p Steam/smoke all present and correct - it makes a steam engine shot. Agreed with Nick about the people in the left - burn them in a bit? Those bright plates above the buffers drag my eye away from the boiler too. I'd also have liked to see this one from a bit lower, as well, to see if you could block out that building.

Is there any more image available to the right of the engineers because, if so, I would suggest moving the image over to the left? Perhaps the engineers would then become an important part of the image.

Thanks guys, all very good and helpful comments. Lots of stuff I hadn't noticed and things to work on.

Andy

Back