Roller-Transport Print Processors

Edit My Images
No
I wondered if anyone had experience of using these, and how much they cost. I'm looking at PrintLab and Fujimoto ones on the US Jobo site but I don't know if they can be bought in the UK. At college we have an Ilfolab 2150 which is great, but they seem to be quite rare and also expensive when they do come up. I've also come across something called a Durst Printo which looks a bit more complicated. Has anyone got any recommendations?

just skipped one last week full colour roller processor couldnt give it away. it was a Meteor Seagan with dryer dry to dry 4.5mnis. would recomend this machine as it was well built and never had any problems. I had a look at the durst printo but too many bad reports.

I used to run a durst printo many moons ago. It was all plumbed in with auto replenish on the chemistry, a running water supply through the wash tanks and with the dryer attached too. It was actually suprisingly good with high volumes and kept a fairly stable state over a week long period, after which it got a strip, clean, rebuild and new chemistry.

You do need to run these machines pretty hard to make it worth while though, leave them alone for more than a few hours and the balance goes off as the tanks are pretty small.

If you are going to have to produce colour prints then it does have to be dry to dry or it's too dull for words.

I still have adry to dry roller transport. although i havent used it in ages.
As dazzajl says, unless you are putting a lot through it on a regular basis, then it may be best to use a local lab.
I used to put about 300 10x8 through a week, which was only just enough. I seem to recall my RA4 system cost me about 12p per 10x8 for chemicals and print. then theer is the running costs and the cleaning etc. I did run mine for a lot longer than a week before cleaning it out though LOL.
Mine was a hope from the usa. but i got it from a dealer in Hemel Hempstead.
One day i will get a low loader and take it down the tip.

One day i will get a low loader and take it down the tip.
:crying::crying::crying::crying:

It's progress I guess but it feels all wrong.

yes it does feel wrong.
I was toying with the idea of buying a digital enlarger, so i could print my own. but the total cost was not worth it in the end.

Thanks for the tips, everybody. I hadn't appreciated that such a high volume was required (there's no way I would be doing anywhere near 300 prints a week!), I think I'll have to rethink this idea, I only want it for black & white at the moment anyway. I am tempted to pop down to gwp's place with a van, but would probably end up having to make even more room in the garage! (Have you tried eBay, gwp?)

You really dont want to run black and white through a roller machine. It takes all the fun out of it and you don't need to heat the chemistry. Trays are the way to go, or if you need to make a REALLY big print, you can use a couple of buckets, a mop and a clean floor. :D

Thanks again - I suppose that because I've only ever used the Ilfolab, I'm a bit scared of getting the chemicals right for trays (never used them) - I was going to go for a Nova processor but I guess I should learn the basics! We never did wet processing at college and I've finished now, so I'll have to teach myself anything else. :shrug:

Getting a couple of prints wrong is the worst that can happen. The neg is safely out of the way so there's really nothing to lose giving it a go.

You will be amazed at the fun you can have buring and dodging.
I little lighter here a little darker there.
You can transform an image like that, give it a go, as dazzajl said "negs are safe so no probs :)

Back