Romania

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Since Thomas Cook ruined my planned vacation in Turkey next month I'm on the lookout for an alternative. I was planning on Scotland for photography but the missus came up with Romania..... Transylvania actually.
Any one been and if so is it safe, good scenary, etc?

I imagine it will be amazing and far more enjoyable than Scotland. It will be perfectly safe I imagine. Don't go to Scotland whatever you do - the weathers crap and the scenery - well there is a lot better going - do Transylvania !!!

If you fancy something a little closer to home (and barely more than a days drive) try the Pyrenees in France/Spain. Incredibly safe and remarkable. Only 2 sleeps until I hit the road. Or the Dolomites but everyone goes there.

Last edited:
I imagine it will be amazing and far more enjoyable than Scotland. It will be perfectly safe I imagine. Don't go to Scotland whatever you do - the weathers crap and the scenery - well there is a lot better going - do Transylvania !!!

If you fancy something a little closer to home (and barely more than a days drive) try the Pyrenees in France/Spain. Incredibly safe and remarkable. Only 2 sleeps until I hit the road. Or the Dolomites but everyone goes there.

Rightyo mate, cheers - I best start making plans!

We went a few years ago for a friends wedding near Brasov and had a really good time. The mountains of Sinaia are fantastic, Brasov is pretty, and Castelul Peleș and Bran Castle are worth a look. The area is very good for walking and photography. It's safe (we stuck to the old town on Bucharest and around the hotel in the mountains), but the roads are bonkers though. We drove and it was fine, but be prepared for insane overtakes. It's also cheap, but expect to eat a lot of meaty dishes.

DDE_3450.jpg

We went a few years ago for a friends wedding near Brasov and had a really good time. The mountains of Sinaia are fantastic, Brasov is pretty, and Castelul Peleș and Bran Castle are worth a look. The area is very good for walking and photography. It's safe (we stuck to the old town on Bucharest and around the hotel in the mountains), but the roads are bonkers though. We drove and it was fine, but be prepared for insane overtakes. It's also cheap, but expect to eat a lot of meaty dishes.

DDE_3450.jpg

Sounds perfect. Nice shot btw

You'll enjoy it, we always say we would like to go back for a week at some point in the future.

Shot was included so you know what it looks like. Plenty of ski lifts up to the peaks

My last employer had a factory outside Brasov, been a few times since 1996. It has changed hugely as a country since then!

As mentioned, the mountains near Sinaia are fantastic, and the old gear factory in the middle of the town has left a huge impression on me, I can't explain why! Excellent place for photos and food is cheap.

T

My last employer had a factory outside Brasov, been a few times since 1996. It has changed hugely as a country since then!

As mentioned, the mountains near Sinaia are fantastic, and the old gear factory in the middle of the town has left a huge impression on me, I can't explain why! Excellent place for photos and food is cheap.

T

Mefin? The big building by the river? Looked half derelict when we drove past

Mefin? The big building by the river? Looked half derelict when we drove past

Yeah, it was more than half derelict in 96!!

Quite a haunting building to me, I don't know why. Maybe its scale and abandonment right in the middle of the town where people were going about their lives, almost not noticing it.

It was a huge looking building, I was half tempted to jump out and have a look as I expect most of it is disused! Same with the huge refinery on our way up from Bucharest.

Back