Edit My Images
Yes
DSC_2721.jpg

DSC_2604a.jpg

DSC_2627.jpg

DSC_2662.jpg

DSC_2768.jpg

DSC_2876.jpg

feel free to comment if the mood takes you ;)

Last edited:
I'm off to Rome in June so these shots are particularly interesting to me :) I like the one of the spiral staircase in particular. Where is that?

All well exposed and nice shots. None of them quite do it for me personally though. I have a few ideas that might be worth trying on some and some feedback if you are interested.

This'll be fairly brief as there are a lot of images.

1. A nice shot, but the detail in the distance seems to drop away too quickly. What aperture did you use? I also think that you could zoom in and crop the image around the square more - make this more of a central focus to the image. Reduce the amount of sky, maybe try a vertical or square crop to better lead the eye. Not quite sure what it is, but I think the square in itself would make a more powerful image than the sprawling city.

2. Nicely exposed, but the wide angle has taken every line off vertical and it also feels like it's not quite straight. Ideally you needed to be about 3 feet further forward and a foot or so lower down imho for the shot. The fountain probably made that a little awkward.

3. Again the shot just misses for me. Maybe lower, closer and wider angle would have given it more presence and feeling of scale. The Tree in the left corner is also distracting, a shot from a little further to the right would have perhaps been better.

4. Again another near-miss for me. I think in this case a little more zoomed out would have been better. It's a little too busy and the road and bottom of people and vehicles are cut off. It'd be nice to see more of the road and lines leading into the centre of the image, they are obscured by the trucks and buses as it is framed. It also feels a bit flat and lacks highlights or contrast. The dark areas lack detail (bottom left in particular).

5. I love the geometric pattern that has been achieved. My only comment would be that it's a shame there are no shadows being cast - assuming it was indoors so that wasn't an option? Also it looks like one of those spots where 10-20 mins of patience to allow the right people to wander into frame and fall into positions to aid composition could have really benefited the final picture.

6. Again the detail bleeds off into the distance too much for me. I feel the sculpture should have been made more of a focus, again a little lower and closer to it looking up, maybe from a few feet forwards and to the left catching the couple coming up the stairs in the right side of the image as they reach the top of the steps and with the rest of the square and the milling figures as background interest.

Hopefully I don't sound too overcritical. Technically I don't see much wrong with these shots, just some areas where composition could maybe be better.

thanks both for the comments, George7 the spiral staircase is at the exit of the Vatican museum.

JC - much appreciated comments
the shot of the Trevi Fountain (2), getting a daytime shot with the crowds is nigh on impossible, the certainly don't take any prisoners! repositioning, well not an option i'm afraid.

Colosseum 3 - agree about the tree, any further to the right and there is a lamppost - so lesser of two evils.

4 - the Vatican, again a compromise. There is a pedestrian area leading to the road to the Vatican, its the only place possible to stand without being run down! But its the only vantage point for a head on shot.

5. stairs, end of long day on our feet, was happy to get a shot and move on ;)

6. was torn between the sculpture and trying to get the domes between the flags - obviously the flags won!

much appreciated feedback and critique though, helps improve us all (y)

Thanks Ziggy - agreed, it's not the place for peace and solitude! :)
M

4 suits me best
cant remember all the places but dont see the birthday cake there
cheers
geof

Thanks Geof - 6 is actually taken from the steps looking away from the building, and I have a few not posted...

Thanks Geof - 6 is actually taken from the steps looking away from the building, and I have a few not posted...

the building is gross
lets see them

i know but there it is...:( and we all can climb the steps and wallow in its exuberance
cheers
geof

as requested... (taste optional!)

DSC_2871a.jpg

DSC_2613a.jpg

do kinda wish i tried harder with the exterior shots though, there is an area in front of the building where avoiding the traffic is (marginally) less life threatening which can be used - oh well, next time...:D

like the birthday cake shots...who can visit rome and not forget it
i stood roughly where you were...but had a film camera then so no really good results..and had to dodge all the scooters and stuff
the traffic seemed to take it in good fun...
its not a bad building.....????
and you have done it justice in no 2
brillaint!!
cheers
goef

Back