"Rose" at Eastham Ferry

I like the idea, but is feels like it needs more of the shore & clouds on the LHS - at the moment they compete with the direction the vessel is headed, that is quite boring and dull. I'd suggest either making more of them or crop them out - like this the tension neutralises the effectiveness of the image.

It's a nice image with leading lines but as Toni says, the ship is heading away from the interesting area of the image - the clouds have a lot of impact. I always find that it helps to think of humans reading from left to right, in this image your eye has already stopped to study the clouds & missed continuing into the scene to look more at the ship.

I almost headed over to Seacombe myself the other day, been a while since I visited there to shoot & it's only 10 mins away from me. Must get out more :LOL:

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments Mike - probably better without the ship!! - I'm sure we'll bump into each other one day.

Thanks Toni - I agree this is a better image, the RHS didn't have much interest - my intention was to photograph the ship heading towards Eastham Locks with the industrial background.

Thank you Frank - I like them both - all I have to do now is find out how you did it!!!

Thank you Frank - I like them both - all I have to do now is find out how you did it!!!
Glad you like them.
Don't ask for a tutorial. I can't remember what I did.
Basically lots of layers, masks, brushes and the transform tool.

Reactions: Doc
@Doc
Can I pick your brains - and change the subject?
How well do you know Egremont?
I have an idea for a nightime shot from there. I would like to go out onto the stone breakwater but have no idea how easy it is to walk on in the dark. Can it be done?
I'll probably go at low tide so I can walk out on the sands, but is setting a tripod up on the top realistic?
I was thinking of going tonight, but this grey blanket that we have had for most of the last 4 months has returned, so might leave it for a day or two.
Do you even know what I'm on about?

Hi Frank - Born and Bred about half a mile from there!!, but that was 70+ years ago

I regularly go to Egremont to photograph ships but the tides always in of course. so haven't taken much notice of the breakwater on the odd visits when the tides out - perhaps Wirralcam may give you an idea - failing that I could pop along later this week (no car tomorrow) and let you know.

There's' absolutely no obligation on you to go running around for me.
I was going to go tonight as the tide is low. The clag has stopped that but if it's clear either Weds or Thurs I'll be going. Probably spur of the moment.
I've checked Google Earth but that doesn't help. I know the rocks at Fort Perch are leg breakers near the groynes. I'd like to stand on the breakwater but if it is slime covered with big gaps I'd prefer to keep my legs!!!

That second shot is just where I want to stand! That will be interesting in the dark! Could be using my largest point of contact quite a lot. Doesn't actually look to bad if getting on from the beach. Just have to be very careful. Not sure I fancy walking all the way down it in the dark.
Thanks, that's a great help. Unfortunately I've just looked at the weather and this murk seems set to stay for the week. By the time it's gone we'll be back to high tides when I want to be there.

Back