Routers !

Using your own router is fine if you're confident about configuring it, overcoming any potential compatibility obstacles with your ISP (Drayteks don't play well with BE, for example) and doing without any support from your ISP's helpdesk. Your own router will be off-script if you phone up with any problem, even if it's nothing to do with the actual cause of an issue.

I don't think many people that are not confident about configuring a router will be buying a Draytek if I'm honest. Very nice (I used to use one and still have it), but the price is not something a sky / talktalk / BT Internet / other cheapy-mega-bundle-deal user is likely to be prepared to pay.

If the internet connection goes down, the ISP should support it irrespective of the equipment being used to connect, provided the equipment is functional and compatible.

That and the phrase "off-script" immediately brings to mind xkcd 806 : http://xkcd.com/806 (nerd humour, for anyone not familiar with xkcd).

I use an ISP that does not do scripted support and has implented XKCD / 806 (!)

Thanks guys been playing around tonight and I have one of those dongle pre paid thingys I can connect with that but cannot seem to get passed the page that comes, BTFON etc something to do with BT and whatever I type in the search bar this page always comes back at me so totally confused now :shrug:

Also nooticed that 3 of my neighbours connections came up so tried one of those ( I know naughty naughty :nono:) and still this dam BT page came up- can anyone shed any light on this at all:shrug:

BTFON is the BT Broadband phone service SSID. It's not a broadband data service.

O.K so how the heck do I get rid of the dam page then is it just an advert like the plague keeps popping up all the time never goes away:shrug: and then how do I get the google home page up because when I type in google in the search box this page comes up again.

Is it asking you to sign in or something? It sounds like a login or payment page. Hard to say without seeing it though.

Asking me to sign on with a password :shrug: I have tried to copy it to a stick to put it on here and could not, really strange:thinking:

Asking me to sign on with a password :shrug: I have tried to copy it to a stick to put it on here and could not, really strange:thinking:

You can press PRNT SCRN (print screen) and paste that into an image editor...even MS PAINT. That will show us what you are looking at.

It looks like you should have been given a username and password with the dongle

quoted from that page

How do I log in once I connect to the correct Wi-Fi network?
Once you are connected to the correct wi-fi network

Launch your browser. This should load the BT FON landing page automatically, if it does not, enter https://www.btopenzone.com:8443 in the browser.
Select BT Total Broadband on the BT FON landing page.
When prompted, simply enter your login username and password that you used to register to BT FON (i.e. your@btinternet.com e-mail address and password) and connect.
Leave the browser window minimised that you used to connect so that you can use it to simply disconnect at the end of your session.
Launch another browser and you are ready to access the Internet

Im not entirely sure what you have there...

You laptop has a wireless network card, so in theory could see all wireless networks including BTFON within the locale (without the dongle)

The prepaid dongle you mention, sound more like a 3G DONGLE - i could be wrong here.

Remove the dongle and see if things remain as is.

Finally....how was the laptop connected prior to trying the dongle...was it working with any form of connection to the internet?

You say you are trying a dongle pre-paid thingy but the fact you are getting a BTFON sign in page suggests you are using a WiFi dongle and are attempting a connection through a local BT customer's WiFi Router or a BTFON member's WiFi.

With Tesco Broadband you should already have a wireless router. Install the Tesco broadband software on your laptop, then connect to the Internet(making sure your wireless router is on).

With Tesco Broadband you should already have a wireless router. Install the Tesco broadband software on your laptop, then connect to the Internet(making sure your wireless router is on).

She doesn't. She has a speedtouch modem.

If you just need to connect the two computers to each other, then you don't need a router - a wireless card in each would enable you to set up an ad hoc WiFi network.

If the desktop is already connected to the internet using an ADSL modem, then you can share that internet connection with the laptop, but you'd need to have the desktop switched on and connected to the internet every time you wanted to use the laptop on the internet to.

[technically, in so doing, the desktop itself becomes a wireless router or wireless bridge]

BTW, if you're using Windows - instructions for doing this with XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

and Vista

http://www.home-network-help.com/ad-hoc-wireless.html

- The no-cost option. :)

You say you are trying a dongle pre-paid thingy but the fact you are getting a BTFON sign in page suggests you are using a WiFi dongle and are attempting a connection through a local BT customer's WiFi Router or a BTFON member's WiFi.

^ what he said.

You are trying to log on to someone else's wifi, which is a bit naughty (but only if you manage to do it without permission).

Exactly what sort of USB dongle did you buy?

^ what he said.

You are trying to log on to someone else's wifi, which is a bit naughty (but only if you manage to do it without permission).

Exactly what sort of USB dongle did you buy?

We dont know that the dongle is WIFI, only that it is prepaid.

We do know the laptop has a built in 802.11abgn NIC

If the user is a customer of BT Broadband they could be legitimately using BTFON, however it would appear the user needs to share their broadband or portion of it via a BT FON approved/enabled router. We dont believe the user has any form of router hence the thread :LOL:

Im not sure of the legalities of connecting to someone elses unprotected wireless network....this thread could wander away aimlessly.

In a nutshell, spend £32.99 on a router from amazon, run a wizard, enter your details, connect your pc either wired or wirelessly. done!

Last edited:
We dont know that the dongle is WIFI, only that it is prepaid.

We do know the laptop has a built in 802.11abgn NIC

It's either a Wifi Dongle or a Pay-as-you-Go Mobile Broadband that hasn't been configured properly, and the onboard Wireless network card is overriding it.

Either way it's not serving its purpose and the laptop is attempting to log on to a nearby Wifi Hotspot.

It's either a Wifi Dongle or a Pay-as-you-Go Mobile Broadband that hasn't been configured properly, and the onboard Wireless network card is overriding it.

Either way it's not serving its purpose and the laptop is attempting to log on to a nearby Wifi Hotspot.

Yes I agree, but the user has indicated a lack of technical ability, so Im just confirming the terms of network interfaces and this infamous dongle lol, hence my earlier post

Im not entirely sure what you have there...

You laptop has a wireless network card, so in theory could see all wireless networks including BTFON within the locale (without the dongle)

The prepaid dongle you mention, sound more like a 3G DONGLE - i could be wrong here.

Remove the dongle and see if things remain as is.

Finally....how was the laptop connected prior to trying the dongle...was it working with any form of connection to the internet?

The user wants to connect two homes devices, a laptop with a built in WIFI card and a pc with unknown network interface. The DONGLE is not relevant to be honest, and can go back in its box.

IMHO the simplest most cost effective method to achieve what the user wants is a cheapish router......blah blah what i said earlier,

Now, everyone has their preferred ISP due to cost or support scripts, router brand, method of connection sharing. This isnt the question raised, so I'm just trying to help the OP with the solution I believe is the best fit for them.

I sold Nicki her laptop, is a Dell Latitude E6500, i have had several emaild from Nicki about how she cant connect to the net etc, etc and about various other things with the laptop.

What might not be clear by this thread is that this is Nickis first laptop and as such her first venture into the world of mobile internet, please go careful with Nicki because by her own admission she really doesn't understand anything computer related

The laptop is all set up and ready to go out of the box so to speak, all required software/hardware is installed and working.

The only thing Nicki needs to connect wirelessly to the internet is a Wirelss Router but in the mean time theres nothing at all to stop her using the ethernet port

Nicki, you need to contact your ISP and demand a wireless router/router

Of course if theres anyone in the Oxford area they could arrange to pop in and sort it out within 2 minutes

I sold Nicki her laptop, is a Dell Latitude E6500, i have had several emaild from Nicki about how she cant connect to the net etc, etc and about various other things with the laptop.

What might not be clear by this thread is that this is Nickis first laptop and as such her first venture into the world of mobile internet, please go careful with Nicki because by her own admission she really doesn't understand anything computer related

The laptop is all set up and ready to go out of the box so to speak, all required software/hardware is installed and working.

The only thing Nicki needs to connect wirelessly to the internet is a Wirelss Router but in the mean time theres nothing at all to stop her using the ethernet port

Nicki, you need to contact your ISP and demand a wireless router/router

Of course if theres anyone in the Oxford area they could arrange to pop in and sort it out within 2 minutes

Gary I asked a couple of questions because I did not know, sorry if that seemed dumb, I won't ask any more.

I know I can connect to the net if I plug Lap top in to the ethernet port but the whole idea is to go wireless.

I have contacted my ISP and asked for a router, they said I could have one if I upgraded to a faster conection.

I ws up till 2 a.m. trying to sort this out and to be quite honest I have had enough and decided to use my desktop as it is.

Very hard when there is no one around you that is computer orientated like everything else having to teach myself everything, even with the 7 D so I am sure I will get there in the end.:thinking: :bang:

Computers were not the in thing when I was at school and decided to bite the bullet and try and teach myself how to use the things which so far I have got to this point, and I did this at a very late stage in life, not when I was younger and computers were the be all and end of things

I don't work in IT so therefore know nothing of the jargon and this is why I am stuck, I am not a Gadget sort of person and thought that the dongle might help me when I was out and about, but obviously not to be.

I only asked the question on here as I thought you computer minded people may be able to help me :shrug:

I will take the laptop (which is new but very nice :D) down to PC world in the hope that they can help me (and probably rip me off in the process:thumbsdown:) and get me set up.

Sorry if I seem thick (which I probably am :wacky:) but I needed to ask the question to help me understand, as it does not come that easy to a person who is unfamiliar with this sort of thing. :bonk:

I will try and get a couple of books also to give me the answers that I need.

Last edited:
Nicki, i was trying to help, i asked people to go carefully simply because people were quoting things which you clearly didnt have any knowledge of, if i were within a reasonable distance i would come over and help myself

Judging by the comments from your ISP i would seriously consider changing them, they obviuosly dont want to help you without charging you a hefty fee.

Why take the laptop to PC world, there is absolutly nothing they can tell you, it has a wireless card installed and is it is clearly picking up various wireless signals from neighbours etc, etc, they might charge you just to tell you it's OK

If you decide to buy a suitable wireless router or whatever, it might be an idea to take your current one with you and ask for what you need to make it suitable.

Gary

Nicki, If you tell your existing ISPyou will be changing providers as you now require Wireless and ethernet in almost all cases they will supply one to stop you leaving.

If they won't then change to another provider.

If you get another router, you are welcome to phone me at a mutually agreed time.

what we can do then is talk you through connecting the router andsetting it up to work with the desktop.

once the router is setup it maintains the internet connection even when the computers are off.
This means we can the use the cable from the desktop to access the internet with the laptop.

Having done this we can open a remote assistance where I can use your laptop to configure the wirless settings on the router and connect the inbuilt wifi.
the cable can then be plugged back into the desktop and "Robert is your mothers brother"

nothing wrong with the laptop
take it round your neighbours who have a wireless network and it will be up and running within 30 seconds
how long have you been with you isp
if you are out of contract then if they wont give you a free wireless router then ask them for your mac code and go elsewhere

If you've got a local PC world why not by a Wireless router from them and pay their installation engineers to fit it?

Rather than take the laptop to get it checked out (it's picking up wireless networks so should be fine), spend that money on getting someone to install it.

I think their install people are called the tech guys, and its what they do for a living.

And before we get the usual "pc world wouldnt touch them" comments this would be an easy piece of work for them to complete that they couldnt get wrong and shouldnt be able to do any damage.

Alternatively, if tescos are demanding a silly amount why not change your isp to some like o2 who have good deals atm. You will get a wifi router that is plug and play, and instruction book, an installation disc that pretty much does everything for you anyway and all designed to be very simple for the non technically minded. Just a suggestion.

And before we get the usual "pc world wouldnt touch them" comments this would be an easy piece of work for them to complete that they couldnt get wrong and shouldnt be able to do any damage.

Someone didn't see WatchDog the other night then! :D

Nicki, carry on asking. Wireless networking can be a complete PITA for someone who isn't an IT geek like me! :D

Alternatively, if tescos are demanding a silly amount why not change your isp to some like o2 who have good deals atm. You will get a wifi router that is plug and play, and instruction book, an installation disc that pretty much does everything for you anyway and all designed to be very simple for the non technically minded. Just a suggestion.

:plus1:

and if you happen to have mobile with o2 you will get a discount as well :)

"Of course if theres anyone in the Oxford area they could arrange to pop in and sort it out within 2 minutes"

Nicki the only thing i can promise is that I am in the Oxford area but i am more than willing to try to help.

I have a BT wireless router which was replaced by an upgrade. I am sure someone will be able to confirm whether there is any problem using a BT
wireless router when your ISP is with someone else :shrug:

If you want it you can have it and I can drop it off and have a look but my IT skills are distinctly 'ok'

A router is a router. As long as you set it up correctly it will work.

Can I just say Thank you for the offer but unfortunately today I have been hit with some very bad news :crying: which is now forced me to re sell the laptop along with a few other things to raise money urgently needed for my dog which has got to have an operation of £2,500 so everything has got to go on hold.

Even selling the 7 d to fund this now so photography will have to go on hold, short of a miracle. :shrug: :crying:

Oh dear.

sincerely hope everything is ok with the dog. Good luck.

Thank you It is going to be a long haul and trying to keep an otherwise active dog quiet (for the ones of you who have met mine know what I mean:LOL:) months of not doing much, not going to be an easy road ahead.

One time when you wish for your lottery numbers to come up (y) :D

How much do you want for the 7D?

How much do you want for the 7D?

It will be on the for sale board when I decide it it HAS to go, got other things to go first, this will be the LAST resort.

Decided I want nothing for xmas but if people insist then money to help pay for the dog :shrug:

So long as she is with me xmas day that is all that counts, I don't matter :shake: she does. (y)

Trying to keep it all above board. (y)

Thank you (y) may do a blog for here, on here still waiting for a date for her to go in :shake:

Back