Royal Mail Special Delivery Query

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Royal Mail attempted a delivery (RMSD) of my parcel on 21st September, there was no one at home and a card was left.
I contacted the buyer, (who paid in full), and they acknowledged they had been out and would collect the following day - they didn't.
The parcel has now been with their local delivery depot since 21st September, a total of 24 days, awaiting collection or re-delivery arrangement - the buyer is not responding to my contact attempts.
Buyer could be in hospital, prison, dead or whatever.
The Royal Mail website says they will keep parcels for 18 calendar days and then will return it to the sender.
Anyone been through a similar experience and got the parcel back - how long did it take?
Just don't like the idea of the equipment hanging around in a sorting office for months.

I've had this in the past (business, not personal) and the best thing IMO is to accept the parcel back. (y)

I've had this in the past (business, not personal) and the best thing IMO is to accept the parcel back. (y)
Oh yes - but it's now 24 working days and nothing.

I suggest calling them first thing in the morning otherwise you might be in the queue for a while (like an hour sometimes!)

Once to get through they are surprisingly helpful. They have always sorted my issues. Even managed to get a post to back to me with a wrong postcode (sellers fault, not mine)

Thanks guys, obviously "18 calendar days" is meaningless, I'll try ringing when I've got an hour to sit at the phone - nuts that I can't phone the DO direct. :(

Reactions: Sky
Thanks guys, obviously "18 calendar days" is meaningless, I'll try ringing when I've got an hour to sit at the phone - nuts that I can't phone the DO direct. :(
I have looked up the two sorting offices near me.

The one that serves us has an 0843 number and the other large one has an 0345 number. So on the face of direct numbers???

I've had customers miss a delivery and then collect the parcel the following day from the delivery office but the tracking is never updated.

Could be the person at the delivery office just handed over the parcel without scanning it.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the customer hasn't got it they'll soon be in contact at which point if it hasn't been returned to you you will be able to claim from RM

I have looked up the two sorting offices near me.

The one that serves us has an 0843 number and the other large one has an 0345 number. So on the face of direct numbers???
0345 number I get - it's Chelmsford DO but number just goes to Customer Services wait line :(

I've had customers miss a delivery and then collect the parcel the following day from the delivery office but the tracking is never updated.

Could be the person at the delivery office just handed over the parcel without scanning it.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the customer hasn't got it they'll soon be in contact at which point if it hasn't been returned to you you will be able to claim from RM

Good point, I'm sort of trusting RM data and that may not be a good idea.
Just don't want to spend the money before it's sort of problem free :LOL:

Last edited:
I would say it's very highly unlikely, that the person who works in the caller's office, would hand over a special delivery to the customer, without scanning it, I work for Royal Mail, and doing something like that would be a severe disciplinary offence if not a dismissal. No parcels are handed over like this let alone specials, I've actually seen the guy in our caller's, having arguments with customers, because they have forgotten there I.D.s he won't hand anything over, without following the correct procedure. Special deliveries, are totally different, we can't even leave them with a neighbor when out on delivery, like we can tracked items, all specials go back to the depot if no one is home.

Last week I had a special delivery parcel arrive when I was out and the card was left. I went to the collection point in the morning showed my driving licence and was given the parcel.

no request for signature at all. This may or may not have a bearing on the situation.

Track & Trace still shows:
Sorry, we tried to deliver your parcel on 22-09-2021 but there didn't seem to be anyone in. Please choose an option below.

Choosing the option below it says that no options for redelivery exist.
I contacted Customer Services last week and they just took my details and the recipient's details and haven't heard or seen anything since.
I can only assume that it was indeed handed over without recording - still no response from the buyer.

no request for signature at all. This may or may not have a bearing on the situation.

Their wouldn't be a request for a signature, as since covid postie's, don't hand over the PDA for transmission reasons, the same as we don't hand them over on the doorstep, like we used too, infact I don't know any delivery companies that do anymore, the fact the person seen your I.D. and everything was obviously correct, would be enough, then he/she would sign themselves, should the item require a signature, as many do not.

Special deliveries, are totally different, we can't even leave them with a neighbor when out on delivery, like we can tracked items, all specials go back to the depot if no one is home.

Our postie puts SD items in a rubbish cupboard next to our front door and signs them himself (always says our surname on proof of delivery though)

He did it just a few days ago with a 70-200mm f/2.8 off this forum.

Their wouldn't be a request for a signature, as since covid postie's, don't hand over the PDA for transmission reasons, the same as we don't hand them over on the doorstep, like we used too,

Much to my surprise the postie who delivered my SD parcel today DID ask me to sign the PDA - I refused the 'pen' and made a mark with my finger.
I assumed that the policy had suddenly changed, is that not so?

Much to my surprise the postie who delivered my SD parcel today DID ask me to sign the PDA - I refused the 'pen' and made a mark with my finger.
I assumed that the policy had suddenly changed, is that not so?
Well it could have changed in as much, it could be up to the individual postie, although I've not heard anything official, I personally sign myself, as I'm classed as CEV so the least contact I have with the general public the better.

Our postie puts SD items in a rubbish cupboard next to our front door and signs them himself (always says our surname on proof of delivery though)

He did it just a few days ago with a 70-200mm f/2.8 off this forum.
The only way that could be sanctioned, is if you requested this to happen, and that would have to be done at a higher level, not word of mouth with your postie, if he's doing this with SDs on a regular basis, you need to tell him to stop, or you will report him, I can tell you for certain, if a postie was doing this on a regular basis, at my depot he would be sacked !

Their wouldn't be a request for a signature, as since covid postie's, don't hand over the PDA for transmission reasons, the same as we don't hand them over on the doorstep, like we used too, infact I don't know any delivery companies that do anymore, the fact the person seen your I.D. and everything was obviously correct, would be enough, then he/she would sign themselves, should the item require a signature, as many do not.
I’ve one for you.
I sent an item yesterday, special delivery to London.
The tracking shows it leave my area and go to Brixton, and shows it out for delivery today.. Yet that’s it. Even now it says it will be delivered today by 1pm!

I’m slightly concerned as it was a very expensive item and the whole transaction seemed a bit fishy to start with, however my mind was put at rest by the buyer after various videos and photos were exchanged, but now I’m worried again.
Very odd that there is no update to the tracking to say it’s been delivered or attempted to be delivered. I also haven’t heard from the buyer which is odd as they’ve been asking about it constantly up until Today.

Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 22.09.55.png

Still showing, obviously RMSD tracking cannot be relied upon.

I’ve one for you.
I sent an item yesterday, special delivery to London.
The tracking shows it leave my area and go to Brixton, and shows it out for delivery today.. Yet that’s it. Even now it says it will be delivered today by 1pm!

I’m slightly concerned as it was a very expensive item and the whole transaction seemed a bit fishy to start with, however my mind was put at rest by the buyer after various videos and photos were exchanged, but now I’m worried again.
Very odd that there is no update to the tracking to say it’s been delivered or attempted to be delivered. I also haven’t heard from the buyer which is odd as they’ve been asking about it constantly up until Today.
Not sure what's happened there, however the fact you hadn't heard from the buyer, suggests they have received it, otherwise they would of been in touch, I know I would if I hadn't received it from you.

Not sure what's happened there, however the fact you hadn't heard from the buyer, suggests they have received it, otherwise they would of been in touch, I know I would if I hadn't received it from you.
Seems that way, tracking still shows the same. very odd

I had this happen once although I don't think it was SD, confused the hell out of me when the parcel returned after it had been sent quite some time ago (I think it was a couple of months?) and I couldn't get anything back from the recipient so yeah... unsatisfying.

Back