RSE & TIFFiness etc

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I usually use RSE to convert RAW images to max quality jpegs. I tried the 16bit TIFF conversion today for my blog shot and then saved to jpeg. This jpeg derived from the TIFF file seemed to have more "tonal" quality in it - subtle differences rather than anything striking. Is it me or would this be normally be the case?

Ta

David

I assume that's normal. You're carrying more tones towards the jpeg, losing that final 8 bits only at the last moment (the jpeg conversion).

Personally when I convert for RAW I try and keep the image as high quality as possible, so it's 16 bit TIFF for me all the way.
I'd rather be in control of any detail loss myself, if that makes sense.

That's my understanding of it anyway, and like I usually end my posts........"Don't listen to me, I could be (and often am) wrong :D"

Sounds reasonable to me, that's the way I do it - RAW > Tiff > jpeg.

Me too...RAW>Tiff>Jpeg.

When the magazines come clamouring to my door I have the full size tiff already in the envelope for them.

I used to keep Raw and websize jpeg then someone asked me for a print quality version of a shot. I had to try and reproduce the jpeg they saw online from the original RAW...not easy!

Now I've discovered that my DVD backups won't open on the PC or lappie....just sits there trying to build the thumbnails then locks the PC up :icon_eek:

Bachs said:
Now I've discovered that my DVD backups won't open on the PC or lappie....just sits there trying to build the thumbnails then locks the PC up :icon_eek:

Ooooh... Not good. Keep us posted on that. What burning software did you use?

We have so much stuff that we can't keep it all on HD - it has to go to DVD as we work, often overseas. We make 2 copies of each job (had one of the two DVDs break in transit coming back fro Iraq last time, which caused a minor brown-trouser moment) and then a further 3 copies when we get back to UK.
I keep seperate DVDs for RAW files and a CD-R of the TIFF and JPEG files if there's room, if not, they go onto a DVD also.
Coming back from the last Iraq job I discovered I'd shot nearly 19GB of images in a week and a half.

I've had DVD's got T*?% up on me, to the point that they won't read at all.

The ones in question were a bulk buy none branded.
Make sure you use branded disks, of good quality (Ritek are the leading brand when it comes to DVD, Traxdata is one of there TM's).

I've been using Datawrite Yellow Label (V2) 4.7GB General Purpose 4X DVD-R

They've been fine for everything else (movies/music etc.)
They're full to the brim and its like its struggling generating all the thumbnails.
Sometimes I can get the thumbnails and can move over one folder at a time.
My re-writer is '+' and '-' compatible and I use Nero.

Ive found that burning DVD's for reliability, burn slower than the rated speed.
At the moment I'm using 8x discs, and for backups I prefer to burn at 4x. I've always found I've got a better reliability ratio this way, going back to when I first got a CD burner in 97.

Also, Matt's right, Datawrite are a leading brand, but rather than look just for the brand of disc, look for the right dye. This is key to how well the data can be read.
One of the best dyes is the Ritek dye, and *some* datawrite discs use it (most, but not all).
At the last check the Ritek G-05 dye was the current flavour of the month. The preceding G-04 being the best dye of its time.

To check which dye your discs are, get a free program called DVDIdentifier (I think it's on cdfreaks website or something like that, a quick google will bring it up no doubt).
It tells you all about the blanks you are using.

Also try not to burn to brimming capacity, as reliability tends to wear off towards the edge of the disc. Not only due to the manufacturing, but also, this is the edge of the disc, where you're more likely to get fingerprints etc.

I tend to just throw on what fits really, but just bear in mind to be wary if I'm filling it right to the edge.

Regards

Bachs WRT to the discs that you're having problems with, open up Explorer and change the view to list or details so no thumbnails are generated, then copy the folders over to your HD one by one, don't try and do it all in one big selectall movement, as it's more likely to mess you about.
Once you've copied them all safely, check the total file sizes and number of directories and files for each copy (on the cd, and on your HD) to make sure you haven't missed any, then reburn to another disc :)
I've never been a fan of browsing through discs etc, especially with things like thumbnail view, it's always too slow for me.

I also go Raw > Tiff > Jpeg but I delete the Tiffs afterwards because they take up 50 MB of space, compared to the RAW file's seven-odd MB. Reproducing shots isn't a problem with RSE because it saves the settings in that .RWsettings folder.

I don't back anything up to DVD. I have two 200 GB hard drives in a RAID 1 array (mirrored array) and another 200GB hard drive in an external caddy that I use to store ghost images of the RAID 1 array every now and then (should really do it more often).

Bachs said:
Thanks Marcel...that just sounds like it might work...I'll let you know!

and it did! Cheers mate!...

and I found an even easier way as with the above method I couldn't see the images I was looking for as I had no thumbnails.
I just used windows search and searched the disc by filename without the .extension as I had the the jpeg file number available in my online gallery.

This found the RAW, Tiff and Jpeg versions in one fouls swoop which copied over very quickly :banana: :banana: :banana:

Back