RSPB West Sedgemoor, Swell Wood & Greylake

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

I was so pleased to receive an e mail yesterday from the administrator of the RSPB, Somerset. asking if they could use some my images for one of their leaflets advertising the Somerset Levels, having looked at my web site and Flickr. several images have been selected

She did mention they are are happy to pay, so what would you charge for this, or should I give them for free as she also said proper accreditation will be given for any images they use?

Les ;)

Congratulations mate!!

It's always nice to get work published and paid for :) if it was me I would offer them up for free as the RSPB is a charity at the end of the day and rely on donations to keep going. They do however have administration costs and I'm sure your fees would come under this.

You could maybe ask for a membership instead?

Well done again :)

Thanks Matt- I am already a member ;)

My view is to give them a few and get accreditation on the leaflet / web site I was sp chuffed they asked me to be honest

Maybe add a fee to any future images they want

Les :D

As a member myself I would probably offer at least some for free ... congrats on the recognition :)

Nice work, batman! Must be an amazing feeling to have your work get out there like that!

Don't offer them for free. Even a basic amount of £50 would be better, this is why there is hardly any money left in wildlife photography as too many people are happy to give their stuff way for nothing!!!

although thats generally my position on people giving their images away 'for a credit' to commercial publications this is a bit different as the RSPB are a charity, and without their work a lot of great images wouldn't get taken (not least because their wouldnt be the birds to photograph ... or the hides, board walks etc to photograph them from)

That being the case I would (and have in the past) let them use my image free of charge , if lez does decide to charge though i'd be suprised if he can get 50 quid - if its being done at a reserve level i bet the budget is tiny (they won't be able to do a membership either because those are administered nationally)

(y) Nice one Les, think offer up for free but be clear on what they can use it for and they may not pass onto other publications just in case.

Don't offer them for free. Even a basic amount of £50 would be better, this is why there is hardly any money left in wildlife photography as too many people are happy to give their stuff way for nothing!!!

:agree:

although thats generally my position on people giving their images away 'for a credit' to commercial publications this is a bit different as the RSPB are a charity, and without their work a lot of great images wouldn't get taken (not least because their wouldnt be the birds to photograph ... or the hides, board walks etc to photograph them from)

That being the case I would (and have in the past) let them use my image free of charge , if lez does decide to charge though i'd be suprised if he can get 50 quid - if its being done at a reserve level i bet the budget is tiny (they won't be able to do a membership either because those are administered nationally)

:rolleyes:
I could pick so many holes in this but lifes too short, you obviously don't know much about the RSPB.
Congrats Lez and well done for taking images that get published (y)

I could pick so many holes in this but lifes too short, you obviously don't know much about the RSPB.

I'm married to an RSPB staff member, so i know enough to know that all the b*****ks written about them in the press recently was unfounded, and was not upheld by the charity commision ... however lets not do that here , as i'm sure Lez prefer's his threads untrashed (y)

Leaving aside anyones views on the RSPB , my core point was that giving pictures to a charity you believe in is different to giving them away to the commercial press

I was so pleased to receive an e mail yesterday from the administrator of the RSPB, Somerset. asking if they could use some my images for one of their leaflets advertising the Somerset Levels, having looked at my web site and Flickr. several images have been selected

She did mention they are are happy to pay, so what would you charge for this, or should I give them for free as she also said proper accreditation will be given for any images they use?

Les ;)

Imagine how many they'd use if you were any good!!! :rolleyes:

Good work mate, well deserved. I'd go with what Joe says personally. If the offer has been made then it would be daft to not take them up on it. Will pay for a few more nice days out somewhere to get a few different images that you may not already have.

Thanks guys- some good points raised- I have been contacted again and it seem they want to use 5 images of mine( 4 x different birds and 1 x Stoat) All shot @ Grey Lake RSPB to promote their web site / Facebook pages.

I have given these freely with an additional caveat, that future images will be charged for- they have agreed to this and a rate has been set with a promise of buying 10 more images for an up and coming booklet in Summer this year :banana:, Best I get out shooting :D

The e mail ended with look forward to doing further business with you- which is nice

Les;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys- some good points raised- I have been contacted again and it seem they want to use 5 images of mine( 4 x different birds and 1 x Stoat) All shot @ Grey Lake RSPB to promote their web site / Facebook pages.

I have given these freely with an additional caveat, that future images will be charged for- they have agreed to this and a rate has been set with a promise of buying 10 more images for an up and coming booklet in Summer this year :banana:, Best I get out shooting :D

The e mail ended with look forward to doing further business with you- which is nice

Les;)

How are you going to manage 10 shots???? lol you get 1 in a million.... gonna take you time :p

Sounds like you're onto a winner!! :D Now you just need to visit some of the other reserves and 'get in touch' with them.

already done via e mail with a recommendation from the RSPB here at Grey Lake - David

Les

Back