Rucksacks, bags or back-packs

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a camera bag(lowepro 140 or Piranha, slightly bigger, lol)and a Targus 'notepad' rucksack....now would i be better off with a dedicated camera rucksack of stick with what i have?

good selection there m8,

to be honest it all depends on how much kit u want to take and where,

if the bags you have will surfice, then stick wiv em,

i have found in the past that a combinations of bags/cases are best,
as you dont want to be lugging everything around when goin out for a walk, but then you want somewhere to store everything, lol

so its a no win situation sometimes ( well most of the time )
as you know i just bought a large lowepro nature trekker II, but that is only really to take on my back with my mini dv camcorder etc, to get to oz in a few weeks,
i also have a large ' shoulder bag ' and most of the cameras have their own case as well,

hope this helps

MyPix

I recently bought a Samsonite Trekker backpack off eBay for £35, very like the Lowepro mini Trekker. It holds 300D, 70-300, 55 prime, 18-55 flash, mini tripod and 6 million other 'bits', basically my entire kit with loads of room to spare. I wasn't sure I'd like a backpack over a gadget bag but now I have it, I do like it. The fact that I can carry it pretty much like a gadget bag helps and I have easy access to everything inside it.

The quality is great too.

Steep said:
I recently bought a Samsonite Trekker backpack off eBay for £35, very like the Lowepro mini Trekker. It holds 300D, 70-300, 55 prime, 18-55 flash, mini tripod and 6 million other 'bits', basically my entire kit with loads of room to spare. I wasn't sure I'd like a backpack over a gadget bag but now I have it, I do like it. The fact that I can carry it pretty much like a gadget bag helps and I have easy access to everything inside it.

yeah i was looking at one of those! Stumpy said they is good quality also

I have two Lowepro bags:

Mini trekker is a very good bag, loads of storage and padding, and it should suit most kits providing you dont need to get into it often , why I say that is that you need to do it up each time you need to move it, great for walkers!

LoweproMiniTrekker-M.jpg

My other bag is the Magnum, roughly the same internal size, but far more padded, and of course with the added benefit of being able to move without securing if need be. Downside being that it aint as comfortable to carry. Great for drivers ;)

TN_Magnum_AW_MF_open.JPG

hope its of use.

Oh yes, don't forget to do it up! :) There's elastic over the central space in the samsonite which keeps the main gear in place but I've had the smaller bits cascade over the floor once already (once was enough)

Steep said:

that's what I got too. Holding a 10D, 50mm, 100mm Macro, 28-105, the A75, pile of filters/batteries and such stuff. Only thing I would say is that my shopping list includes a 70-200 and I think that it's going to be a bit on the tight side then. The mini trekker may have been a better buy for me but a great bag for the price.

Very comfy though, hardly knew it was there when we had to trek up to the top of a hill for the snowman rally last week.

I use a lowe pro mini trekker AW for my 20d and all the gubins that go with it, quality is great and protection for the inards is first rate.

I also have a bag made by samsonite for my mini DV gear, again quality is great with loads of little touches which make the kit stand out from the budget crowd.

I'm having the same dilema. I'm fed up with slinging my camera kit in my rucksack with all my other stuff just because i don't want to lug two bags around everywhere, sounds lazy but i have travelled a lot and 2 bags is a hinderance (for me). I have been looking at the Lowe Pro Rover Plus AW or the Crumpler Formal Lounge. Just can't make my mind up. Also where do you buy from, (i am currently on a tight budget for photographic kit), i've looked at ebay but expensive unless you buy American, but then you may be liable for tax (am i right?). Does anyone have any suggestions...please? Quality has to be good (waterproof preferably), any other bags that are of backpack type with camera compartment at bottom and clothes etc. at top.

there was samsonite bag for £35 on ebay, very nice rucksack type thing, decided i dont need anything like myself....i will see if i can find some links shortly

thats the one...good looking bag

It is a nice bag, I have seen lots of bags in that style (though not all for that price, good shopping) obviously very popular. But what do you guys do when you want an all in one day bag, there must be something out there that suits my needs (something the same only larger as the Orion Trekker). I shall investigate to see if Samsonite have something similar.

Is ebay the only way...... as much as i love it, sometimes people don't know what they have so they don't give it a proper title therefore hunting it down is a slow process.

The link I gave you is the same seller I bought from, he's very good, has great feedback too.

The internal dimensions of the main compartment are 30cm long and wide by 12cm deep in case that helps

bag.jpg

samsonite do a good range of bags, ive been looking at different brands and types as i hope to do a bag/rucksack guide for the front of site....

I'll take more shots and do a wee review for you.

Great idea, a bag/rucksack review would be great, there are so many makes and models, when it comes to selecting one it can be a bit head spinning.

lolyton said:
Great idea, a bag/rucksack review would be great, there are so many makes and models, when it comes to selecting one it can be a bit head spinning.

Thats why i started doing it, its rather more complex than i at first thought!

Steep said:
I'll take more shots and do a wee review for you.

muchos appreciated!

A wee note of caution (A-flat :wink: ) - Many of the smaller photo rucksacks are only 5" deep (or thereabouts), which is very tight for a DSLR plus battery grip that typically measure about 6" high. I have a Lowepro Mini-Trekker AW II which is very good IMO, but I don't normally have the grip fitted to the 10D.

I can get the 10D with grip in a Micro trekker. I tend to leave the grip on all the time.

It is a squeeze, but it goes in easily enough :)

I use a Lowe mini-trekker and a Peli case. When I travel, the Lowe and my laptop go inside the Peli. If I was going as a Civvi, I'd take the camera bag as hand luggage, but as a Military frequent flyer, you have so much other cr@p to cart around, it's ridiculous.
And the regs!?
At Brize Norton, they confiscated my Leatherman tool as Dangerous Air Cargo even though I was carrying an assault rifle and bayonet!!!
Bl00dy RAF tw@ts!

I prefer backpacks as the weight is spread more evenly across your whole body rather than on one shoulder.

Lowe Pro do a range of bags on rollers if you are really lazy :D

Back