Rugby shots with 150-500 sigma zoom

Name
Len
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, i had a couple of hours to spare on Saturday so thought i would try out my 150-500 zoom lens on the local rugby being played at a field near me.
These shot were taken in changeable conditions, i had to set the ISO to 400 just to keep the shutter speed reasonable(400/500 sec). The pics are crops maybe 1/3rd to 1/2 of the original, and are all hand held, taken with my 40D. With hindsight i should have taken my monopod. :bang: I know they are a bit of soft but i was looking for a bit of c+c for composition etc. I was debating whether to put them on or not seeing the quality of the other rugby shots on here.:clap: Even at the level i was shooting it is a fast game to capture. The teams were (blue) Briton Ferry 2nds vs (red) Cwmavon Athletic 2nds.

0555e.jpg

0542e.jpg

0553e.jpg

0520e.jpg

0516e.jpg

0513e.jpg

These are my first pics to be posted here, i hope the link works.
Thanks for looking.

Len

Good stuff. The one of the guy about to kick is excellent. I'm not sure about the one showing the back of the lineout because I think it's lacking a bit of drama - and the top oene you have to go looking for the ball. I like the expressions in #2 as well.

Good stuff. The one of the guy about to kick is excellent. I'm not sure about the one showing the back of the lineout because I think it's lacking a bit of drama - and the top one you have to go looking for the ball. I like the expressions in #2 as well.

gingerjon thanks for the comments. There weren't many lineouts on the same side of the pitch to me for the time i was there, but i appreciate that if i were facing the players they might have turned out better. I am quite happy with the expressions on the players faces in no.2. It was a crunching tackle if i remember rightly, and these players weren't exactly spring chickens, if you know what i mean.:naughty:

Len

I like 2 and 4, just increase the iso for a slightly faster shutter speed. Watch the backgrounds, most of my photos taken seated which i think looks better. I switch between hand held and a monopod and usually spend most time behind to the left or righ of posts, with players running towards you. The more you practice the easier it becomes, look forward to seeing more.:)

I like 2 and 4, just increase the iso for a slightly faster shutter speed. Watch the backgrounds, most of my photos taken seated which i think looks better. I switch between hand held and a monopod and usually spend most time behind to the left or righ of posts, with players running towards you. The more you practice the easier it becomes, look forward to seeing more.:)

Thanks for the helpful advice latereg, will use it the next time i get a chance. I think a seat will be the order of the day though, can see where your coming from there. I think it will make it easier to handle the lens with monopod attatched.

Len

Back