Rugby toggers.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Saw an advert in The Rugby Paper wanting freelance photographers to cover
matches on Saturdays.
Contact- sam.emery@therugbypaper.co.uk
Thought it might be of interest to some of you.

Mods, if you think this is in wrong section,
please move.

Last edited:
Could be a good opportunity for someone wanting to increase their rugby portfolio...however,

1. It's not likely to be Aviva Premiership or Heineken Cup - they're covered by Getty Images

2. You'd need to ensure you get a decent deal...no point doing it if you're getting screwed.

Its all regional league stuff for the Rugby Paper, national league 3 etc

Money for a commission isn't great with them but if you can keep it local to where you are it might be a good opportunity to get your foot in the door

I have done rugby union for sam at "therugbypaper" in the past... Its pretty easy only req half a dozen pics and plenty of time to get them over (need to wire from match but not while match on) they pay ontime at end of month and generaly decent people to work for... Sam is pic editor for football league paper and non league paper so a top contact to have IMHO :)

so whats their going rate then, i might be able to fit in a few over the winter months if its worth it

I will PM you what I got but dunno if its whats on offer now.. slightly more than your mate pays anyway :)

hahahaha I forgot..,. naughty boy.. will email you then :)

I will PM you what I got but dunno if its whats on offer now.. slightly more than your mate pays anyway :)

hahahaha I forgot..,. naughty boy.. will email you then :)

Cheers Tony, got the email, a bit less actually, probably only worth it if the games are local, say within 15-20 miles but better than nowt i suppose, might drop them an email.

Im covering 3 Leeds Carnegie home games in the next month or so, so i might get to "double up" on the pay so to speak.

Aviva accreditation, username and password came through a few weeks ago but still not got the Photo id card yet but that doesnt matter with the online match booking system, not at Headingley anyway.

Last edited:
Kipax, wouldn't mind knowing as well if you don't mind indulging. I have a few free Saturdays where I need to fill gaps.

Kieran

Cheers Tony, got the email, a bit less actually, probably only worth it if the games are local, say within 15-20 miles but better than nowt i suppose, might drop them an email.

Im covering 3 Leeds Carnegie home games in the next month or so, so i might get to "double up" on the pay so to speak.

I did some accy stanley home games....I was already there.. so it was a bonus payment... the rugby i did ..I was caught on a sat with nothing to do as accy postponed so i phoned him on the offchance and he sent me to a fylde game... saved the day :) if i could do it for a teners fuel and nowt else on then yes.. midweeks would eb good but hes only interested in sat..well for footy anyways.

Kipax, wouldn't mind knowing as well if you don't mind indulging. I have a few free Saturdays where I need to fill gaps.

Kieran

I have no idea what it is now.. only what it was ayr ago... will pm you... but then off on a job so anyone else pm one of these :)

No reply.

Have you tried phoning? I spoke with Sam this morning and said he's still looking for photographers to cover rugby as his data base is sparse compared to the football.

Thought I'd let you guys know I just received a reply to my email.

Basically they want all pics uploaded by 7.30pm on the saturday night. 10 images required, all captioned and should be a mix of both teams with tries and celes as the best shots.

Rate of pay is £50 and will credit all match photos.

Sound any good?

Not bad if you're local...if you're driving 100miles round-trip for it, it's probably less enticing.

If I was a lot younger and fit, I might have given it a go.

What you reckon Gary, you going for it?

Ive registered an interest but they must work round my current workload, im covering Conference Premiership RL over the next few weeks on Saturday afternoons but ive also got some Aviva Premiership stuff to do as well, 3 from Leeds Carnegie over the next month, if they want some of these then they can have them but for the moment i cant guarantee Saturday afternoons for them.

£50 aint bad, ive been paid more and sometimes less, my next few Saturday jobs are all within 10 miles of me and are £50 basic + regional paper and print sales so virtually no travel expenses but i need to submit 6-8 to 2 RL papers, 6 to any local/regional papers who want them and then 50-70 to the agency so more work but the flip side is more money.

If i can get my usual money for covering Leeds carnegie plus extra for the YP and then also supply 10 to The Rugbypaper i'll be doing OK and only 7 mile up the road

Ive registered an interest but they must work round my current workload, im covering Conference Premiership RL over the next few weeks on Saturday afternoons but ive also got some Aviva Premiership stuff to do as well, 3 from Leeds Carnegie over the next month, if they want some of these then they can have them but for the moment i cant guarantee Saturday afternoons for them.

£50 aint bad, ive been paid more and sometimes less, my next few Saturday jobs are all within 10 miles of me and are £50 basic + regional paper and print sales so virtually no travel expenses but i need to submit 6-8 to 2 RL papers, 6 to any local/regional papers who want them and then 50-70 to the agency so more work but the flip side is more money.

If i can get my usual money for covering Leeds carnegie plus extra for the YP and then also supply 10 to The Rugbypaper i'll be doing OK and only 7 mile up the road

I'd be interested but I wouldn't want it to interfere with my Farsley AFC games. Also the games would have to be very local as I have yet to buy a laptop, so would need to be close enough to home so that I can rush back to my iMac and have the photos uploaded by 7.30pm

I don't know the details of the deal they are offering, but in my experience with working with them and this may now have changed is:

All premiership is covered by getty pretty much each game is covered. Then they have a "picture match" for Championship, National One, National Two North and National Two south. Blackheath, my local national one side gets a home game picture match twice a season, in total, probably 4 or 5 picture games(home and away) a season depending on how the season is going.

As Gary says, if it's local, it's worth doing and if you have a couple of local teams or are happy to travel a little bit then you'll probably get a good few games a season.

Blackheath RFC-v-Southend RFC, had some good games in the past.

Ive registered an interest but they must work round my current workload,

hes pretty good like that gary and probably will.. nice easy going bloke.. you tell him your next half a dozen matches and he will tell you if he wants from them....

This came two days late for me.

I have just become the Westcombe Park RFC "official" videographer.

Same pay as above which is £20 less than I wanted but it's a foot in the door and may lead to other work. (may not as well, but we'll see).

I must say the videoing is more work as with the photo job you're done by 7:30pm. I still need to import on to the PC and make a DVD.

Last edited:
Back