weekly RyanB's 52 for 2024 Week 17 Structure

Good pic, I wasn't brave enough to go for the true unkempt look myself :LOL:

Week 14 Gobshot

Really struggled with any inspiration for this week but today caught a starling gobbing off on my old tv antenna. Making quite the racket too!

Bit of a poor image, I blame the ancient long glass I was testing out and the massive crop/ high ISO. Still I got one in before midnight!! :D
5P8A7759.jpg

Yep - nice gobby Sheppy (As we call them back home)

I think you were unlucky with the sky, but the Starling itself looks to be ok.

A quick zoom in on my phone and it looks pretty sharp.

You could cheat the sky if you wanted to…

Thanks! I never seem to be able to master faking skies but usually they involve treelines, this might actually be doable.
It looks ok to me too. It's definitely a gob shot and the white sky makes it almost a silhouette!!
Yep - nice gobby Sheppy (As we call them back home)
Thanks guys!

Unkempt: Spot on, great image
Gob shot: I rather like the perspective which makes a good silhouette

Thanks! I never seem to be able to master faking skies but usually they involve treelines, this might actually be doable.

Thanks guys!

I have to be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of a complete replacement, I'd rather try and enhance what's already there. But, from my own experience, when there's so little colour in the sky and no features, there's almost nothing to recover.

You could be subtle about it. This is just using your JPEG from here (not ideal as it's a bit jaggedy).

5P8A7759 copy.jpg

Unkempt: Spot on, great image
Gob shot: I rather like the perspective which makes a good silhouette
Thanks Helen!
I have to be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of a complete replacement, I'd rather try and enhance what's already there. But, from my own experience, when there's so little colour in the sky and no features, there's almost nothing to recover.

You could be subtle about it. This is just using your JPEG from here (not ideal as it's a bit jaggedy).
I know what you mean about enhancing rather than replacement, it is my preferred method as well(not just because I'm crap at replacement). I have to say what you've done there is pretty convincing, I'm not sure I would be able to identify it as a replacement if I didn't already know what the original was like.
Many thanks for taking the time to undertake the edit, it's most appreciated.

Week 15 Snappers Choice

With all the lovely sun and warm weather bar the last 2 days I had to crack out the macro lens. A bit spoiled for choice really but it had to be the Bee Fly in flight.

1. Bee Fly
5P8A9179v1024.jpg

2. Mining Bee
bee1024.jpg

3. Squash Bug
bug1024.jpg

4. Holly Blue
hollyBlue.jpg

5. Wolf Spider
WolfSpider1024.jpg

Fab shots Ryan - love the Bee fly :)

Great set, can see why you picked the bee fly. Great detail in the mining bee, I probably won’t show the wolf spider to my wife.

Excellent set of images so makes it hard to choose. I think I'm leaning towards #3 for the off centre compostion, dof and great colour

A really great set of images Ryan, would struggle to pick a favourite but I can see why you picked the flying one. How on Earth do you use macro on something that's in motion?!

Great set, can see why you picked the bee fly. Great detail in the mining bee, I probably won’t show the wolf spider to my wife.
Excellent set of images so makes it hard to choose. I think I'm leaning towards #3 for the off centre compostion, dof and great colour
A really great set of images Ryan, would struggle to pick a favourite but I can see why you picked the flying one. How on Earth do you use macro on something that's in motion?!
Many thanks all!

@nickbee Very quickly... Really I have the best luck and hit rate using manual focus and a high enough shutter speed to freeze the movement(1/1250 still wasn't fast enough to freeze the wings but I wanted to keep my ISO relatively low). With hover flies and Bee flies they tend to flit from areas but then come back to the same ones so I get the focus about right for an area and then wait for it to come back, I then move the camera rather than focus to get it sharp and fire off as many shots as I can before it's off again (usually only 2-3 shots). This was probably one of the closest one's I have ever managed of a Bee Fly so I was quite chuffed.

Here is one of a drone fly (possibly Eristalis pertinax) I caught the day before. No luck with a head on shot sadly.
5P8A8397v1024.jpg

Week 16 Empty

A starling egg I found on our path this morning, probably cleared out by the colony our neighbour has living in her eves.
Egg.jpg

Sod half empty a real pessimist see glasses like this.
5P8A2850.jpg

Promises, promises...
5P8A2874.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff Ryan. It's the eggscellent egg pic for me :)

Good stuff Ryan. It's the eggscellent egg pic for me :)
Nice little trio for the theme. The egg shell is my favourite.
Nice set but the chosen one definitely has the edge. Such a lovely colour too.
Nice blue egg, best of the bunch for me.
Many thanks all, got lucky that egg almost fell in my lap on Wednesday morning when I was feeling less than inspired for the theme.

I decided to try out my new (to me) Pancolar 50mm f1.8 on the largest structure in my general area, a building I love to revisit time and time again.

Ely Cathedral, edited to accentuate the structure of the stone work.
5P8A2997.jpg

5P8A3007v2.jpg

Back