S2000 to CTR?

Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone here also moved from an S2000 to a Civic Type R? I have a feeling that CT might have done this but I know that a couple of other members from S2KI (S2000 forums) are members here and also might have done this move too?

What were the biggest differences to you, and what should I look for in a CTR and look out for in a CTR?

PS. Why not ask on a more relevant forum you ask? Well mainly because I got tired of the 'Yooofs' that these forums attract (My Saxo can beat your Fezza anyday!!!) and I have come to respect the sage minds present here! :)

My bike is faster than your civic,even in the snow so there :flipoff:
Didn't you just know that someone would do that :LOL:

CT is definately your man here, when we met up at Chester he was talking about just that change. He should be able to help you out with a few pointers when he drops by. :thumb:

Yes, I knew that someone would do that, but I assumed that you would be more mature than that.

I was wrong.

;)

S2000 is faster than the CTR. S2000 has a higher rev limit.
S2000 is a rear wheel drive and CTR is a front wheel drive. So, the driving style is veyr much different.
CTR has much, much more room than the S2000 and is more practical.

I have a CTR. :)

Thanks for that Kamion, I think I already knew the basic differences. lol

I've had the S for two years now and although I love it I don't get to drive it properly much these days so it seems a rather expensive bit of metal to have lying about.

Seeing as you're a CTR owner could you give me a honest review of the car please. I'll start you off by giving a small one of the S:

Pro:
Great engine
Very balanced handling
Rewards a smooth driver
Convertable
RWD (only important if you want it to be)

Cons:
F**king oil-aholic!!!!
Thirsty
Awkward getting in and out
Impractical

I test drove a Civic Type-R for a day & although I loved the handling & performance, the noise levels from the road were unnacceptable to me.....I ended up with a headache. I've been told this is down to removal of the sound deadening stuff around the cockpit to save weight. Anyway I plumped for a Cooper S in the end & didn't regret it :)

I did have a chat with a guy at work who used to have a Scooby as a company car & then changed to CTR at renewal. His views were he liked the car, but preferred the extra torque & grip in the wet from the scooby.

Noticed the S2000 was no #1 in Top Gear survey ....must be good . Chatting to someone else who has an S2000 at work, he loves the car but said it ate rear tyres ;) ....7k miles ?

hehe. Sorry for that. But basically, I think the main difference is the power and RWD/FWD.

Pros:
Very practical, you can fit A LOT in the CTR especially with the seats folded down.
You can drive it normally, or trash it like mad.
It can carry up to 3 passengers (but awkward to get rear passengers in and out).
Great engine.
Good handling.
It's very fun to drive.
It's a Honda.

Cons:
Fuel consumption - on average mix (mostly town driving) 25mpg.
Not a convertible.
Attracts people wanting to race you - especially chavs.
You'll want to VTEC it every time - could be a hazard to your license.
Lousy turning circle.

My car is 3 years old and barely needs engine oil top ups nowadays. Seems to have been worn-in nicely.

It is a bloomin good car Dave, doesn't eat tyres any more than any other quick car I've owned. I'm guessing the CTR might be quieter than the S but who knows, the CTR has much lower profile tyres.

Thanks for that Kamion, that's the kind of information I'm after.

VTEC and my licence are no problem, after getting three points two days after picking up the S I installed a speed limiter called 'less right foot'. ;)

LOL. The S2000 is ultimately quicker, but there's not much in it, and in the real world on public roads, it's even less. I got the sports car out of my system with the S, but if I was in the market again I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Comparisons are daft really, ones a drop top 2 seater and one's a FWD hot hatch. My CTR is 3 yrs old in January, and I'd get another then except that the new model is due out, so I'll be hanging on to see what that's like.

For sheer practicality and outright performance and fun, the CTR is hard to beat - you have to work the rev range and those 6 gears, but you know all about that with the S anyway. The CTR isn't everyone's cup of tea, it is noisey and it has a very firm suspension, but that's the price you pay for the performance and handling.

On the plus side it's a lot more forgiving in the cold and wet than the S, although with 200 bhp going through the front wheels it isn't the ideal all-weather car, but you have to be really ham fisted to get in trouble IMO, but lots of people seem to manage it! The first weekend I had it I took it out on some Welsh twisty bits in torrential rain, and I was going much quicker than I'd have dared to do in the S in those conditions.

I should really get something sensible now at my age, but I don't see it happening any time soon. :LOL:

Hope that helps Sammy? Sing out if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for the responses chaps.

I'm interested basically in day to day comparisons CT. I'm not that interested in thrashing a car to within an inch of its life but I have got used to having a decent amount of power.

I've also got used to having a Honda and the peace of mind that gives, plus Honda dealers seems to be pretty decent (well, compared to Renault).

So, would you say the CTR is firmer and noisier than the S? Does it require less or more maintenance (constant oil top ups do my head in)? Do you find it cost less to own?

Firmer? I dunno really, I think it's the lack of any sounding deadening material common to Type-R cars which can really accentuate every little bump and rut. They're probably very similar in truth.

Noisier? That's a funny one. The first thing I noticed was the noise from the front tyres with being FWD, but then again opposing traffic flashing by was almost inaudible compared to the S with the top up, probably down to the metal doors, top and better fitting windows.

Cost to own? Cheaper than the S in initial outlay, obviously, and insurance. Servicing is cheap - about the same as the S. Mine used a fair bit of oil early on then it settled down, and nowadays I top up very occasionally. Like all these engines though, it differs, some people never put oil in and some use a lot.

Knocking about I suppose I get about 230 to a gallon, although I don't check much. It does noticeably better on a good run with people claiming well over 300 miles particularly on the motorway.

It's like two cars really, there's bags of torque for just knocking around - it's a quick car if you never exceed 5K revs and you can drive around like grandad when you want to. Exploit the next 3K revs though in each gear, and it becomes a beast. For me it's pretty well ideal- practical , roomy, nice and quick for the cut and thrust squirt and go in the urban sprawl, and a hoot on the twisty bits.

I agree with you about Honda dealers - mine has been great, I can't fault them. If I didn't have another CTR, I'd like to stay loyal to Honda, but I can't see anything else they do that I fancy.

You need to go and take a test drive Sammy.;)

Oh.. tyres. I got 17K miles out of the rear tyres on the S and about the same out of the front tyres on the CTR. People who get through tyres in 7K miles, are rippng the tread off in standing starts or heavy cornering.

I do CT, you're right. But I need to come to terms with the need to sell the S first :sob:

Well that's a shame mate, if you'd rather keep it.

I do love it as a car, mainly because its a proper car (RWD). But a few recent niggles to do with oil topping up, lack of seats and space have made me more open to change.

But the main driving (heh heh) force is a change of circumstances with the missus' job. Massive (20k) pay cut but means that she'll actually have time to spend with me.

When it comes down to it its either the car or the missus, and as I can't afford it without her help it'll have to be her! lol ;)

20K is a pretty serious kick in the nads! :icon_eek:

They're only cars though Sammy - even the S. ;)

When I actually stand back and look at what I need from a car these days, and the mileage I do, I'd be just as well served by something a lot cheaper, and I'd be able to spend more money on stuff that really matters - like L glass! :FIcamerap

That's my thinking CT, it's only a bit of metal. The same is true for me regarding required transport, a Matiz would do fine .... but I've been corrupted by power!

20k is more a reflection on how much she was paid rather than how much she will be paid. And it's only a starting salary, but yes it is a fair chunk. Works out at 800 a month after tax man has had his bite.

But she gets an extra 11 days holiday a year and a final salary pension means its not that bad really.

I'm certain I'll be happier with more 7:45 morning walks in the fog and less bits of metal to worry about (unless they're wrapping some L glass of course!) :)

Didn't the CTR beat a S2000 round Castle COmbe a few years back for Top Gear ? Think I can remember a serious rear slide from the CTR on the last corner.

Best to take a CTR for a test drive to see if you could put up with the tyre noise in the cabin.

Fully agree re only a bit of metal. I bought a 2 year old BMW 325 Convertible a few years back that looked gorgeous & was great to drive....but after a few weeks the intitial buzz wore off & I just used to worry about how much money I was losing through depreciation everytime I looked at it. Only kept it 2 months ;) My missus doesn't work , but after deciding to take a year off work in May this year I had to sell her Mini Cooper convertible to help finance the year :( .....only a car though as we say....plus when I go back to work I've noticed S/H Boxster S's are below £20K now :woot:

On a side note , if you want practicality + performance, what about a 2-3 year old Renault Clio 172 Sport........good perfomance plus good mpg for car...plus can be had for around £6-7K now :thumb:

DaveG said:
I agree, 1st spin of the year tonight in the S :shock: . Cold tyres, cold road and too much speed into a tight corner and I did a complete 180.
!

Whoops! Careful Dave lad. :shock:

DJW said:
On a side note , if you want practicality + performance, what about a 2-3 year old Renault Clio 172 Sport........good perfomance plus good mpg for car...plus can be had for around £6-7K now :thumb:

That's the car I had before the S, great drive and manic engine! But it's a Renault, and then it's a Renault, oh and don't forget its a Renault. In three years on mine we had to replace the exhaust, have a new airbag fitted and replace the cambelt. Oh, and after about a month the dash started rattling like a bag of bolts. ;)

But a seriously fast car, just a little breathless over 100 mph.

DaveG said:
I agree, 1st spin of the year tonight in the S :shock: . Cold tyres, cold road and too much speed into a tight corner and I did a complete 180.

CTR seems quite tempting tonight!

Well I hope you surviced ok and have taken that little reminder on board! Eeek!

A few powerslides out of wet car parks have been requested and delivered so far this season.... ;)

A few powerslides out of wet car parks have been requested and delivered so far this season....

It's nearly 2 years now since I sold my S2Kip and I still miss it.:(

If you really need something more practicle then obviously it will have to make way but if the oil use is a large reason it really shouldn't worry you too much.

VTEC engiines (the proper ones, rather than iVTEC) do use rather alot of oil. Some are even prone to a good old smoke on high rev gear changes too but this is very very rarely a sign of any trouble.

My track day Lude is a great example. She will use anything upto a half a litre for 15 minutes on track, always has done and has never missed a beat despite most of the millage I do being extremely punishing.

Had my CTR for 18 months and love it to bits, although it's a totally different car now to when I bought it. Think I've only got warranty on the paintwork left now lol :D

She will probably be stripped and fully caged before Spring ready for next year's European jaunts muahhaahaha :whistling :nut:

Well I just went to have a chat with my local Honda garage about the CTR, registered my interest in a black one with AC when they get one.

Didn't seem to have a problem with the S2000 -> CTR swap, got a grin out of him when he said 'How much are you looking to achieve in PX for the S?' to which I replied 'It all depends on what price you want for the CTR.'. :D

Had a sniff around new one there too, got a few questions for you owners:

Ok, does it seat four or five? Couldn't see a rear lap belt.
What sort of alarm does it have? Cat1?
One for ex-S2K owners, does the fuel guage work?
Does it have fingertip controls for the stereo?

Oh, yeah, HOW SMALL IS THE STEERING WHEEL!!! lol!

Good move on the AC it's essential - with all that glass the car mists up terribly in the cold and wet without it. More saleable too when the time comes.

Black is definitely the quickest colour - something in the paint.

The CTR is classed as a 4 seater. Honda wont fit you a 3rd rear belt and there could be insurance issues if the worst happened.

Fuel gauge is like the S. It seems to take forever to move and then it seems to drop fairly quickly, although there's loads more left than is indicated even when the fuel light comes on. There are impressive tales on the CTR board of brave souls doing incredible mileage with the fuel light on, but I'm less adventurous so can't confirm that. :D

They have a Cat 1 alarm unless you get a Euro import - then they don't.

No fingertip control for the head unit but the stock unit is crappo. I fitted a Sony h/u which does have fingertip controls on the side of the steering column.

Is that a question or statement about the steering wheel Sammy? :D

It's nice and small, leather covered and feels great.

Oh don't start a colour war CT ......... everyone knows Nurby blue is quickest.....

Which CTR forum do you read, registerd at www.civictype-r.co.uk hoping to find a nice 'what to look for in a second hand CTR' posting but its just seems full of yoof-speak which I don't understand.

PS. I assume you're talking about the steering wheel....

everyone knows Nurby blue is quickest.....

True........

but only in depreciation. :naughty: ;)

got it already.... :coat:

Heh heh heh! I guess I'll find out when I try to trade it in. :)

Thanks for that CT, I've just booked a test drive for Sunday.

Back