Safely Storing Camera & Lenses in Car?

Name
Ant
Edit My Images
No
Since upgrading to a Sony A7 III, my plan was to keep my A6000 and lenses in the car for the quick impromptu dog walks after work etc. I'm a little worried about keeping them in the boot though with temperatures and moisture etc. Anyone have any thoughts on a safe way to store them this way?

Thanks in advance.

I keep my stuff in Peli cases....they have airtight seals and offer some insulation against the cold. Not had any problems working this way.

Not as good as a peli case but a picnic cool box will cut down on short term temperature extremes.

Humidity will be the issue longer term, I wouldn't be leaving them in there.

If humidity is an issue will a few little packets of silica in the box help?

If humidity is an issue will a few little packets of silica in the box help?
They would if maintained properly, it's not magic you have to dry the silica in an oven periodically.
In a fabric bag not sealed they would soon lose any effect.

They would if maintained properly, it's not magic you have to dry the silica in an oven periodically.
In a fabric bag not sealed they would soon lose any effect.

The things are cheap enough, I wouldn't bother with any maintenance. I always have a couple in whatever my camera gear is in, box, case or bag.

Just thought they were worth mentioning in the context of storing gear in a car.

The risk from high humidity shouldn't be underestimated, my first dSLR was only a Canon 300D but after a couple of years left in a bag in a slightly damp cupboard the attached lens and the sensor were affected by fungus and effectively ruined.
No big loss since I had moved on, but lesson learned.

plus one for Peli or equivalent, there are plenty of the same but cheaper :) and I assume you take them in when you get home, so a few hours in the car during the day shouldn't be an issue.

plus one for Peli or equivalent, there are plenty of the same but cheaper :) and I assume you take them in when you get home, so a few hours in the car during the day shouldn't be an issue.

Actually I'm wanting to leave it in the car full time.

Actually I'm wanting to leave it in the car full time.

Don't. Even if you seal the cameras & any lenses inside something moisture-proof with silica gel they will become damp when you take the cold items from the bag and use them, then when you transfer them back they will take the moisture and silica gel is limited in its effectiveness. The only exception would be if you kept them somewhere that was warmed when using the car, so that they were warmed up before you took them out of their sealed condition.

Back