Answered Sale archive threads no longer available

Name
Tommy
Edit My Images
No
Have these been removed of the site now?

Maybe this happened a while back and I have only just noticed.

It's a pity if they have been removed as it was a handy way of checking prices of things before putting items up for sale.

Anything older than six months gets deleted now I believe.

There is a header notice in the market place, I guessed you missed it?
The archive went back to around 2007 totally irrelevant today,
And prices move so fast that 6 months seems about right for anyone wanting to compare prices.

Last edited:
I am confused but there is no archives at all at moment not even ones that are less than 6 months old :thinking:

I am confused but there is no archives at all at moment not even ones that are less than 6 months old :thinking:
No need to be confused, as per the header in the market place, the sale items will remain in their threads for 6 months.

No need to be confused, as per the header in the market place, the sale items will remain in their threads for 6 months.
Even ones marked as sold?
Or does the status make no difference at all and it's a blanket delete after 6 months regardless of if being sold or not.

Last edited:
I think it's self explanatory
Opera Snapshot_2022-03-02_155020_www.talkphotography.co.uk.png

So basically anything and everything over 6 months will be deleted regardless of their status.
Marking things as SOLD is mostly for courtesy so people don't enquire/bump sold threads.
That's how I understand it anyway....

Yes and yes, previously there have been many threads, items sold not marked as such.
And TBH it was a real PITA going through everything trying to determine was what was and what wasn't sold,
This will be a blanket clear up regardless, every 6 months ( or there about's).

And TBH it was a real PITA going through everything trying to determine was what was and what wasn't sold,
Makes sense, yes I can appreciate clearing up after people can be a real chore.
Perhaps make it so that people who don't mark their thread as sold (within a certain amount of time) lose bumping rights :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps make it so that people who don't mark their thread as sold (within a certain amount of time) lose bumping rights :ROFLMAO:
I'd prefer them losing access totally ...

(and no I'm not kidding, maybe that could be the next step. )
But for now the current system seems to be the easiest to manage.

Last edited:
I'd prefer them losing access totally ...

(and no I'm not kidding, maybe that could be the next step. )
That's a bit harsh
That part of the forum will lose half the traffic it gets

That's a bit harsh
That part of the forum will lose half the traffic it gets
And you are saying that half the people don't actually obey the rules for that section?
Not obeying rules in any other forums / sections = loss of privileges.
I'm not sure why you think that the market place should be the exception.

but you may have missed my edit

But for now the current system seems to be the easiest to manage.

And you are saying that half the people don't actually obey the rules for that section?
Not obeying rules in any other forums / sections = loss of privileges.
I'm not sure why you think that the market place should be the exception.

but you may have missed my edit
Yes but I'm only saying the punishment should be proportional to the level of disobedience.

Perhaps make a "swear jar" - £1 to get back in after they lose access for not marking their sold thread.
You'll be rich in no time :p

Are you and Pink Chris enough to be a quorum?

Yes but I'm only saying the punishment should be proportional to the level of disobedience.
Something we have discussed a few times in the past, far too many people for years have made money / saved a lot of money selling here, as there are no fees.
I favour 50-99 feedback 3 months cooling-off period, (away from the classifieds),
100-200 feedback 6 months cooling-off period
200+ 12 months cooling-off period.

And then hopefully they would become useful members posting in a few other forums, instead of just buying and selling multiple brands and various other kit, either photographic or "other"
It's amazing how many people buy the same thing a few times, or sell the same thing a few times,
yes, it gets spread out over time, but we aren't stupid,
I can only guess that it does come from and or end up on the likes of ebay.

But if they decided to go elsewhere in the meantime, that's OK too.

Something we have discussed a few times in the past, far too many people for years have made money / saved a lot of money selling here, as there are no fees.
I don't think we'll ever completely agree on this statement.
I favour 50-99 feedback 3 months cooling-off period, (away from the classifieds),
100-200 feedback 6 months cooling-off period
200+ 12 months cooling-off period.
eeek so more I use classifieds less favourable the rules are to me. Should be the opposite I'd have thought :thinking:
And then hopefully they would become useful members posting in a few other forums, instead of just buying and selling multiple brands and various other kit, either photographic or "other"
I don't think this was aimed at me despite me using classifieds a fair amount.
It's amazing how many people buy the same thing a few times, or sell the same thing a few times,
yes, it gets spread out over time, but we aren't stupid,
I can only guess that it does come from and or end up on the likes of ebay.
I have bought and sold the same lenses/items many times over. not because I am trying to cycle them around places but because its just cheaper to buy and sell used than renting.
And of course GAS.

But if they decided to go elsewhere in the meantime, that's OK too.
I can only speak for myself.... for me TP is unique and classifieds is very much a part of that.
I am on other forums less often because TP offers the "whole package".

I don't think we'll ever completely agree on this statement.
I know it to be a fact, no matter however you try to dress it up.

eeek so more I use classifieds less favourable the rules are to me. Should be the opposite I'd have thought
Why? "we" are doing you a favour by letting you advertising for free.
And I could argue that it's detrimental, to our biggest advertiser MPB by taking business away from them.

I don't think this was aimed at me despite me using classifieds a fair amount.
At least you post in other area's, there are many that have never posted anywhere else in years,

but because its just cheaper to buy and sell used than renting.
That does seem an odd way of going about things to me TBH.
But if that's your reasoning who am I to prove otherwise?

TP is unique and classifieds is very much a part of that.
I'm not on any other photographic forums, so I have no idea how classified huggers are treated / welcomed / thought of..

Last edited:
I know it to be a fact, no matter however you try to dress it up.
Not in my personal experience but may be it applies to others.

Why? "we" are doing you a favour by letting you advertising for free.
And I could argue that it's detrimental, to our biggest advertiser MPB by taking business away from them.
An interesting take on it, can't argue with it I guess.

That does seem an odd way of going about things to me TBH.
But if that's your reasoning who am I to prove otherwise?
Not at all, renting a lens for a month or so is rather expensive.
I "pay" with my time i.e. for buying and selling.

I'm not on any other photographic forums, so I have no idea how classified huggers are treated / welcomed thought of..
"Classified huggers" - :ROFLMAO:

As far as I know there isn't another forum that is UK based with the same level of traffic as here.
Also the rules on here are quite good.
They used to be slightly better, nowadays I get a slight anti-classifieds vibe from you folks ;)

They used to be slightly better,
And have changed for the better, like it or not.

Going back to the deleted archive, there were approx 3/4 of a million of redundant posts in there, approaching 100,000 threads.
Things are being cleaned and tidied, most of which you wouldn't have even noticed.
But as you favour the classifieds, that was the one you spotted, which kinda proves my point.

And have changed for the better, like it or not.

Going back to the deleted archive, there were approx 3/4 of a million of redundant posts in there, approaching 100,000 threads.
Things are being cleaned and tidied, most of which you wouldn't have even noticed.
But as you favour the classifieds, that was the one you spotted, which kinda proves my point.
"Favour" kinda implies I like it more than other parts of the forum which is not the case. But I certainly like it as much as other parts of the forum, no hiding it.

p.s. don't mind the archives being deleted (other than for one minor inconvenience which is sorted now)

Last edited:
btw without the history how can you enforce the "no deliberate profiteering" part of the rules?
Will be hard to remember what something sold for more than 6 months ago ;)

Will be hard to remember what something sold for more than 6 months ago ;)
By which time the prices may well have risen anyway, people that are after as fast buck don't normally wait that long.

Back