Saltwick Bay Near Whitby - First Experiments With Shutter Speed

Name
Glenn
Edit My Images
Yes
I own a panasonic lumix non slr camera and have been wanting to get some long shutter speed snaps of water. I initially tried a flowing river but all the shots were so overexposed all I got was a white screen. I tried several other times but still not much better. Sadly the camera only has a small aperture range so its difficult in bright situations. Armed with some advice from this forum I tried again at dusk the other night. Most of the shots still were really over exposed (think I need it to be even darker and will try again). But I managed to get 1 shot somewhere near what I wanted, that being the first one of these 3 which was shot away from where the sun had set looking east. The last was took looking west and as you can see its still over exposed. There arent any nice colours on the first one but I am quite happy with it and its my best to date. Looking forward to getting out again.

participaction115.jpg

participaction067.jpg

participaction104.jpg

Last edited:
1st shot isnt bad, but it doesnt have any thing going for it IMHO

The 2nd is really moody and with a little P&P will sing (more selective saturation and sharpening)

The last, as you say, is blown. Not much you can do with that shot now.

You can always do what I've done in the past and stick one side of a pair of dark sunglasses infront of the lens. Works a treat as a cheapo filter. Assuming of course that they are A: one colour , B clean

Ditto for one and three.

#2 has potential, the colours and contrast between the beach / sky is nice. But I wonder if it would have been better with a wider DOF? Looking at the EXIF it says the Aperture was f/2.8, but I'm not sure if this is very comparable with an SLR or even if you have control of the setting on your camera?

Ditto for one and three.

#2 has potential, the colours and contrast between the beach / sky is nice. But I wonder if it would have been better with a wider DOF? Looking at the EXIF it says the Aperture was f/2.8, but I'm not sure if this is very comparable with an SLR or even if you have control of the setting on your camera?

Hi Freester, that picture was the 1 of the 3 that was taken on the camera's preset sunset mode. I am relatively new to photography and really do have a hec of a lot to learn. I do have control over apperture but not on the presets and only in a rang of f2 to f8 (I think ???). The first and the third shots were taken on manual with me experimenting with shutter speed and aperture. Although the first does not hold vivid colour I was quite pleased with is as it is the first Ive took at long shutter speed that hasnt significantly over exposed, but as you guys say the colour is rather bland. I will get out the manual this morning and see if I can work out what white balance is and how it can be used to my advantage.

Many thanks to you all for comments and suggestions :)

Back