San Fran

The second image, the "painted ladies" on Alamo Square is gorgeous....seriously nice.
The first image needs a rotation to the right to correct the horizon, and I'd be tempted to clone out what appears to be an aircraft light on the right (under the bridge), and once again you'd have a real cracker there. I love San Francisco.

Thanks for the detailed feedback Ruth. The horizon could well be off, it's a pity you can't zoom in when using the angle line crop tool in Lightroom

The second image is gorgeous but I'd like a few more sky up top but that's me being really picky!

I know Richard , I felt the same as well when I took it. I was expecting to be using a wide angle lens to shoot the "painted ladies" so i didn't have much in my camera bag. But the scene was lost when I used a 10-20mm lens, a 50mm would have been ideal, but I didn't bring it. That left me with a 70-200 f2.8 - and it's the first time I've used it for this kind of shot. Overall pretty happy

TOTALY beautiful shots.

#2 a very nice shot, like the composition and colours but just wonderfully different :)

A very strong pair of images, number two is particularly strong, great composition and lovely exposure. A really great location captured very competently.

Both great but no2 really stands out for me a real contrast in lifestyles from a normal looking town style street to the huge city just behind

thanks for all the positive feedback. I've taken the comments about the straightening and airplane light trails on board and made those edits prior to making a print. Is there a neat way of cloning and repeating the top 10-30 pixels (10-30 x full horizontal row) of the second photo. I want to do this to allow some room for mounting, so that a mount won't chop off the top of the buildings

One of my favourite places, like them both but the second one is excellent!

Really like number 2, excellent image. Just a tad more sky at the top would make it even better!

There is a way to do it in Photoshop, to do with extending the canvas size only at the top by anchoring it to the bottom of the image but I can't remember exactly off hand how to do it. I think it's next to the 'resize image', in the menu.
Sorry that was so garbled!

@bretagnez - thanks for the explaination re: photoshop - I only use Lightroom but it sounds like one of those times here that I could use Photoshop. I'm guessing even Photoshop Elements would be good enough for that? DO I finally have a reason to buy it :)

@bretagnez - thanks for the explaination re: photoshop - I only use Lightroom but it sounds like one of those times here that I could use Photoshop. I'm guessing even Photoshop Elements would be good enough for that? DO I finally have a reason to buy it :)

I use Photoshop Elements, and it works for me! :) I'd definitely recommend it, it's a pretty good deal. I've never felt I missed out not having the CS series Photoshop!

There may well be a way to do it in Lightroom also, I can have a quick look.

EDIT: I couldn't find anything, but if you Google it, or ask someone who is a little more familiar with Lightroom there might be a way. I only know how it works through Elements, unfortunately.

Nevertheless, cracking set of images. (y)

Last edited:
Back